Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

name this ps1 game

• 20-08-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

There's a game i want to get for ps1, problem is i don't remember what it's called. Hopefully someone here can help me out. So here's what i remember... I'm pretty sure it was a sandbox/open world game set in san francisco. You were in a car (and couldn't get out). The car looked like a batmobile kinda thing (although i remember it looking a bit purple) and had weapons on it. I have vague recollections of a female voice telling you what to do and it may have been a 'fighting against the tyrannical government' kind of story but i'm not sure to be honest. All i remember is i really liked it.

There is also a small chance it was on pc but would have been around the late 90s anyhow.

Ring any bells with anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Sounds like Driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It was hardly the original driver game, it was in San Fran. Only one I can think of on ps one...

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

no, it wasn't a racing game, more like gta in that there are set missions in an open world except you cant get out of the car and it is equipped with weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What was the game you were in an undersized car with a mohiekan you had a choice of cars and charachters, think it was blue, was a big arcade game back in the day, Don't know if it made it to the psp, it could have. Could it be that what ever it was, now that I thought of it I want to play it again..

Ah an open world game? It isn't Twisted Mettle or Twisted Mettle: Black by any chance is it?

• Advertisement

no, it was quite similar to twisted metal but there was no option of car and only one city. i'm currently trawling a wikipedia list of ps1 games to see if i can spot it.

side note: japan has some messed up games "LSD Dream Emulator", "Irritating Stick" and "B*st*rd!!" are ones i've spotted so far...

This list is a bit more specific it it helps any.

http://www.chilloutgames.co.uk/PS1/Sony_PlayStation_Driving_Racing.aspx

don't see it on there or wikipedia. there is still the chance it was on pc. i borrowed it off a friend once whom i hung around with between 97 and 2001. i also remember there was a fairly extensive list of cheats for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

one of the twisted metal series?

*SORRY DIDN'T SEE THE SUGGESTION ABOVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

It's not that Spyhunter remake on ps2 your thinking of is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And, just in case he's thinking it,
    No Sparks, it's not Boulderdash,
    Sheesh but that guy has a one track mind!

ahh Boulderdash, that was a great game. I used to play that one on the ePSXe emulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Could it have been Carmageddon?

sadly none of those. i'm starting to think it was a pc game because i'm running out of playstation ideas but my gut still tells me it was ps1. really annoying me now. i'll have to track down the guy i borrowed it from and ask him! it wasn't a big game anyway, i never heard of anyone else playing it but we both really liked it.

can you give any more details no matter how small about the game to narrow the search, lol now i can't stop looking for it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

State of Emergancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Fazza

I wouldn't be Midtown Madness would it? The second one was in San Fransico(and London) but I think there was a fairly big choice of vehicles and judging from your post it sounds like there was only one.

EDIT: Ah whoops weapons eh? Doesn't sound like Midtown Madness. Anything else you can tell us?

I won't rest until we find out it was hardly this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW0MA6KpRrM

San Fransisco Rush 2049 for dreamcast

Looks like a standard racer with no weapons so probably not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It wasn't Interstate 76 but it's just worth mentioning that awesome game, cars, gun, open world, only on PC, not that sh1te on the PS1. Built using the same engine as Mechwarrior 3 as well, all good.
    I must "buy" it again....

• Advertisement

I'm racking my brain for more details. From what i remember the missions were pretty much "go to this place and shoot up some enemies". I'm pretty sure it was set 'in the near future' too. I'm pretty much at a loss to provide more but the good news is i have tracked down the guy i used to borrow it off on facebook so should find out what it was pretty soon.

It was like playing as Knightrider but in the future where there's no 80s hair...

You've probably all forgotten about this but closure is a fine thing! I bought a bundle of games over the weekend and while testing them i stumbled upon the one...

http://www.giantbomb.com/auto-destruct/61-13885/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

No, it was Auto Destruct. I just posted a link to a page about it. I thought it was really good, we'll soon see if it's as good as i remember. It's already waaay blockier than i remember, but that's par for the course with rediscovering games from the beginning of the 3d gaming age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Have to say I don't recall that game at all. EA were pumping out games back in the PS1 days.

Well, it's one of those many ps1 games that if you had it you want it back but if you didn't it would probably be of no interest to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Ah, Crime Killer. There's one I wish I still had in the auld collection. I've still got the CD soundtrack that came with it though. Four 12minute tracks of tacky dance music. Not to say, it hasn't entered the stereo since it's first time.

In response to the that Auto Destruct thoug, I can't say I've ever heard of it. I loved cars&carnage kinda games back in those days, but this one doesn't ring a bell at all. Glad you found it though.

Advertisement