Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a dog break its tail?

• 20-08-2011 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi,

I know its a horrible question and its not one I thought I'd ever have to ask. I was having a bit of a play wrestle with my dog last night and had her off the ground in my arms. She coiled up and basically 'sprang' out of my grip and landed awkwardly on the floor.

She immediately gave a whimper and came straight over to me with that kind of 'help me' look that breaks your heart. Her tail was right down between her legs. I took her out for a slow walk to see how she was moving and she was acting completely normal apart from her tail which she wasn't able to lift.

She is acting completely normal this morning but her tail is still down. Breakfast, treats and all the usual things that make her wag it like there's no tomorrow haven't worked. This morning I've noticed a small swelling two or three bones down the tail and it seems to be quite tender.

The earliest appointment I could get at the vets is 5pm and the wait is killing me. I'm hoping its a sprain and some anti inflammatories will help but I'm freaked and don't know what to expect.

Anyone else had any (unfortunate) experience of this or can let me know what to expect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

A dog can break its tail as you can splint it to keep it immobilised. No point doing anything now as you're seeing the vet soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

One of my dogs has a broken tail. When he first did it (we have no idea how btw) he was in serious pain and couldn't function properly at all, he was seen by a vet who gave him painkillers, anti inflammatories and antibiotics. He's an older dog, the nerves and blood vessels were not damages so the vet was reluctant to amputate. He didn't have a splint or anything like that (vet said they are pointless and just inhibit the dog more than needs be) but he now has a 90 degree kink at the base of his tail so as a result he can't lift it very high but it healed fine and it's not a problem for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Thanks for the replies.

I got the best answer possible from the vet - a sprain and bad bruising. She's had a shot of painkiller and has a few for the next couple of days. I've also been given a prescription for floor based wrestling only in future from the GF.

What a long, horrible day.

Advertisement