Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Programme Orientation?

• 20-08-2011 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

At present I'm eagerly awaiting college offers on monday
    I've applied for the HEAR programme and I got a letter about orientation dates back at the start of july but I still don't know if I'm in
    I've talked to others who applied and they got no such letter :confused:

But anyway I'll get to the point now

What exactly is orientation week?
    Why do we have to stay? [Residential]
    I live in Dublin and UCD is only a short luas ride away, do I have to stay over? I really don't want to :/
    And what do we spend the days and nights doing?

I'm not that familiar with Boards, but I thought I might get a few answers here
    I couldn't really decide on a better place to post it, but if any mods see fit, they can move it

Thanks

Cass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Mrs.K wrote: »
    At present I'm eagerly awaiting college offers on monday
    I've applied for the HEAR programme and I got a letter about orientation dates back at the start of july but I still don't know if I'm in
    I've talked to others who applied and they got no such letter :confused:

But anyway I'll get to the point now

What exactly is orientation week?
    Why do we have to stay? [Residential]
    I live in Dublin and UCD is only a short luas ride away, do I have to stay over? I really don't want to :/
    And what do we spend the days and nights doing?

I'm not that familiar with Boards, but I thought I might get a few answers here
    I couldn't really decide on a better place to post it, but if any mods see fit, they can move it

Thanks

Cass

I pretty sure it says on that letter that your in, if you got that letter then your in I'm fairly certain. I'm not sure why we have to stay, I suppose part of the experience and all that.

As for what we'll be doing, I think they'll show us around the college, classes we'll be in, info on what HEAR will do for us this year etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Jaafa wrote: »
    I pretty sure it says on that letter that your in, if you got that letter then your in I'm fairly certain. I'm not sure why we have to stay, I suppose part of the experience and all that.

As for what we'll be doing, I think they'll show us around the college, classes we'll be in, info on what HEAR will do for us this year etc.

Nah it doesn't mean you're in. You'll find out on Monday if you get a HEAR offer or not.

If it says [Residential] on the sheet, you have to stay regardless of where you live. If it says [Part Residential], you only have to stay if you live a certain distance away from the college. I'm not sure which UCD has as my sheet's filed away somewhere and I can't be bothered to look for it!

As regards what we'll be doing, it's actually just a bunch of fun activities to help you get to know other hear students. I got a letter from UL detailing what they do, and it involves:

Welcome talk and meal.
    Evening session and table quiz.
    Introduction to HEAR supports.
    Campus orienteering.
    Project work.
    What is an access student?
    Health and living.
    Orienteering.
    Cook off challenge.
    Information technology session.
    Mentoring programme.
    Communication skills.
    Presentations.
    Programme review and evaluation.

And that's pretty much it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mrs.K

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Nah it doesn't mean you're in. You'll find out on Monday if you get a HEAR offer or not.

If it says [Residential] on the sheet, you have to stay regardless of where you live. If it says [Part Residential], you only have to stay if you live a certain distance away from the college. I'm not sure which UCD has as my sheet's filed away somewhere and I can't be bothered to look for it!

As regards what we'll be doing, it's actually just a bunch of fun activities to help you get to know other hear students. I got a letter from UL detailing what they do, and it involves:

Welcome talk and meal.
    Evening session and table quiz.
    Introduction to HEAR supports.
    Campus orienteering.
    Project work.
    What is an access student?
    Health and living.
    Orienteering.
    Cook off challenge.
    Information technology session.
    Mentoring programme.
    Communication skills.
    Presentations.
    Programme review and evaluation.

And that's pretty much it :)

Thanks Guys :3

I really don't want to stay
    I make friends easily
    But I'm a home bird and I don't like staying with people I don't know D:
    I wonder is there anyway out of it *evil grin*

I rooted out the letter and checked it
    I'm eligible
    But not yet accepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I'm assuming we're accepted once we are offered and accept a course? Or am I wrong?

flyaway. wrote: »
    I'm assuming we're accepted once we are offered and accept a course? Or am I wrong?

I'm not 100% certain, but you'll know if you're accepted by HEAR. They either send you something in the post, or it says on your CAO, but my brother knew last year once he had accepted his offer!

• Advertisement

I'm not 100% certain, but you'll know if you're accepted by HEAR. They either send you something in the post, or it says on your CAO, but my brother knew last year once he had accepted his offer!
    Yeah
    We may have been told were eligible
    But that's only eligible to compete with how many other people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Hey guys :) I've been a student leader on the HEAR orientation programme in Maynooth for the past few years. The orientation programmes are usually pretty similar in all of the colleges, so if anyone has any questions about them, just ask!

@ Mrs.K - I really don't think there is any way of getting out of going to the orientation. Most colleges rescind the HEAR application if you don't attend :/ Like you, I was apprehensive before I went, but I had a great time and met some of my best friends there. Maybe go into the access office in UCD and have a chat with them? You might be able to work something out :)

Hey guys :) I've been a student leader on the HEAR orientation programme in Maynooth for the past few years. The orientation programmes are usually pretty similar in all of the colleges, so if anyone has any questions about them, just ask!

@ Mrs.K - I really don't think there is any way of getting out of going to the orientation. Most colleges rescind the HEAR application if you don't attend :/ Like you, I was apprehensive before I went, but I had a great time and met some of my best friends there. Maybe go into the access office in UCD and have a chat with them? You might be able to work something out :)

It's not even the orientation I don't want to do,
    It's the staying over
    I don't see the point
    Like I said, hop on the luas for 20 minutes and I'm there

But I'll see what I can do anyway

What does the orientation generally entail?
    Like why would I need to stay over for 3 days?

It's the staying over
    I don't see the point

Basically, in the evening is when everyone gets to hang out and get to know each other. There are stuff like barbecues, watching movies etc.** In my opinion, the evenings are the most important part of the programme :p Obviously the talks and activities during the day are really useful and have loads of handy info, but usually you have to work in small groups or whatever so it's not as easy to get chatting to others.

The stuff covered during the day is basically what Noel2k9 posted earlier; things like study skills, talks on specific courses/subjects, how to budget for the year etc. Like I said before, get in touch with the access office in UCD and have a chat with them about it; my friend was a HEAR student there and she said they're lovely, so I'm sure they will be able to try help you sort something out.

**These activities are what's done in the evenings on the NUIM orientation - I'm not 100% sure what is done then in other colleges. I assume it's somewhat similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,677 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

What LUAS goes near UCD :S

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    What LUAS goes near UCD :S

The green line to Windy harbour and then it's a ten to 15 minute walk to clonskeagh to the back entrance

And thanks Your text here
    I'll have to wait and see if I get in first
    It's not looking good so far :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

It's the staying over
    I don't see the point

is it 3 days or 5...27th-31st isnt it?

Different for everywhere!

UCD is 27-31 alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

im also in this boat there a 99% chance i wont be (private reasons).....if they rescind your hear application..will you still get a normal CAO offer????

pecker1992 wrote: »
    im also in this boat there a 99% chance i wont be (private reasons).....if they rescind your hear application..will you still get a normal CAO offer????
    If you have the points to get into the course without the help of HEAR (i.e. the points reduction), then you will still have your place. If you get in via HEAR and can't make the orientation, then you will need to discuss that with the Access office in the college. Hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

what if you have to miss a cuple of days of the program due to grad/debs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

what if you have to miss a cuple of days of the program due to grad/debs?

You can try and come to an arrangement with them about your debs, ie: missing one day!
    eVeNtInE wrote: »

Just the dates! :) Some colleges sent out timetables etc (I got one from UL, but that's all.) If you want to know the date of yours, I can post it here! :)

You can try and come to an arrangement with them about your debs, ie: missing one day!

Just the dates! :) Some colleges sent out timetables etc (I got one from UL, but that's all.) If you want to know the date of yours, I can post it here! :)

did u get one from ucd?

• Advertisement

eVeNtInE wrote: »

what form? is it the letter with the dates on the back for different colleges?

Trinity:

Part Residential (If you're from outside Dublin, you stay. If you're from in Dublin, you don't stay. 12 Sept - 15 Sept.

UCD:

Residential. 27 August - 31 August.

Ok from spending hours surfing the net I've come to the conclusion It's a high possibility that I will get my course
    I googled and found [don't ask for the link because my right mouse button is fudged D: and it's a excel document] a thing that gives me the points/point reductions for all the ucd courses

I got 360 points and it says on the HEAR scheme I need 300-310 [there's two different sheets thats say different things but around them points] [the actual points for the course is roughly 400] and I meet the grade requirements
    As you know I also received my letter saying I'm eligible
    It says the course intake [including the mature students course] is 164 people per year
    It then breaks down to 5% getting on the HEAR

Does that give me a good chance?
    Like I said, I've spent hours surfing and it's turned my brain to mush D:

PS, For anyone who wants that excel document google "ucd gear points reduction" and it should be the first result

Ok guys, I didn't get UCD
    But I got offered the same course in trinity
    Which is good,
    Because they're orientation is only part-residential

I would've been happier with UCD
    But I'm still happy

Anyone going to the trinity Orientation?

Hope you all got what you wanted Xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Paauull

anyone going for orientation in UCC? :D i got my place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Prunequallor

Anyone going to the trinity Orientation?

Aye I'm going to that I think. I just accepted my first choice for Trinity. The only problem is it doesn't mention if I got a HEAR course on the cao website (or else I missed that part). Is it confirmed in a seperate letter? I'm not sure how to figure out if I'm in a HEAR placement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Anyone for UCD?

Someone said if you got in with HEAR you should get a letter in your cao letter. I didn't but I got in on reduced points so I'm utterly confused. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

I think it comes with the registration pack or on it's own in the next few days.

Advertisement