Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR Programme Orientation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mrs.K

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Someone said if you got in with HEAR you should get a letter in your cao letter. I didn't but I got in on reduced points so I'm utterly confused. :confused:
    Ok what happened me was I got my 360 so thought I would get nothing I applied for
    But I got offered nursing at Trinity
    So I assumed I got accepted on the HEAR scheme

When the post came then
    I got nothing from Hear
    But in the CAO letter
    It laid out my choices
    and beside them it had my points, for certain choices [including my second choice of trinity] my points had shot up to 978 & 979
    But others stayed at 360 [like my first choice]
    So I can only assume that the ones with the really high points were the colleges that accepted me on HEAR and the others didn't?

Someone said if you got in with HEAR you should get a letter in your cao letter. I didn't but I got in on reduced points so I'm utterly confused. :confused:
    Ok what happened me was I got my 360 so thought I would get nothing I applied for
    But I got offered nursing at Trinity
    So I assumed I got accepted on the HEAR scheme

When the post came then
    I got nothing from Hear
    But in the CAO letter
    It laid out my choices
    and beside them it had my points, for certain choices [including my second choice of trinity] my points had shot up to 978 & 979
    But others stayed at 360 [like my first choice]
    So I can only assume that the ones with the really high points were the colleges that accepted me on HEAR and the others didn't?

Anyone else have this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So when do we get more info on what time we're supposed to go and all that?

I think they'll start sending out info in the next few days when the Hear applicants have accpted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mother_Bear

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.. I rang the Access Office in UL, and confirmed that I'd be attending the transition to college course. Surely if I had not been offered a HEAR place they'd have told me then? I haven't heard anything from HEAR yet? Has anyone else? Also, does anyone know if we recieve financial assistance from HEAR? Just cause filling out my course acceptance form and it asks if getting any other further assitance :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭AgathaK

Aye I'm going to that I think. I just accepted my first choice for Trinity. The only problem is it doesn't mention if I got a HEAR course on the cao website (or else I missed that part). Is it confirmed in a seperate letter? I'm not sure how to figure out if I'm in a HEAR placement

I'm on the same boat, I got my first choice in Trinity, but I had enough points. Plus there was no info about HEAR when I was accepting, so I don't know what to think right now. :/ Should I wait a couple more days and see what happens, then ring them and see what's the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 lacpe90

is the ucc hear orientation residential or part residential? dont want to stay overnight seeing as im from cork

• Registered Users Posts: 40 That180Guy

lacpe90 wrote: »
    is the ucc hear orientation residential or part residential? dont want to stay overnight seeing as im from cork

Fully residential according to my leaflet brah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Paauull

it says part residential on my leafet :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Thisismetrying

Trinity:

Part Residential (If you're from outside Dublin, you stay. If you're from in Dublin, you don't stay. 12 Sept - 15 Sept.

UCD:

Residential. 27 August - 31 August.

Where did you get these dates? Did you receive info in the post already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

It's on the HEAR sheet everyone got sent a few weeks ago.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Felix1

If you can't make the orientation week for personal reasons are the access offices very strict? Is there any chance of holding on to your place if you accept it through the CAO but cannot make the orientation week? Thanks.

Felix1 wrote: »
    If you can't make the orientation week for personal reasons are the access offices very strict? Is there any chance of holding on to your place if you accept it through the CAO but cannot make the orientation week? Thanks.
    I saw if you have a very good reason and explain it to the office I'm sure they'll understand

But luckily not all of them are residential

I'm happy I don't have to stay over for trinity now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Felix1

Thanks for replying. I might ring them in the morning and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 That180Guy

Do I drink beforehand to tone down my social awkwardness or should I just grow a pair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Paauull

That180Guy wrote: »
    Do I drink beforehand to tone down my social awkwardness or should I just grow a pair?

i had the same idea :P

Felix1 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying. I might ring them in the morning and see what they say.

I think realistically it weeds out the people who really want the places
    If they're not bothered attending they're not bothered about the course sort of thing
    Well that's my opinion anyway

And yes,
    I think drinks are definitely in order :// xD

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

I'm going to the TUC in UL today (kind of dreading it though :( ), and I was wondering if anyone's parents were going with them? The letter I got from HEAR says they can go but I don't really think my mother wants to.

babynice wrote: »
    I'm going to the TUC in UL today (kind of dreading it though :( ), and I was wondering if anyone's parents were going with them? The letter I got from HEAR says they can go but I don't really think my mother wants to.
    I never had an idea that my mother was coming
    I'm not bringing her to mine

Does anyone have to do a pre-lim chemistry course?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

My mother isn't coming to mine as the parent's talk thing is on the exact hours she works. :P

I noticed in the UCD leaflet they sent with the forms it said: 'What not to bring to HEAR Orientation: Drink: Orientation is a NON-ALCOHOLIC EVENT.' I'm like, calm down, no need for capitals! :pac:

Well, apparently there's gonna be 'shopping in tescos' as an activity, so I wonder how they're gonna supervise everyone not grabbing drink on that. :p (maybe that's just what people I know only buy in tescos?)

I'm not shy whatsoever, but when they do those team-tasks or those discussion things bout saving people on sinking boats, it's the only thing in the world that makes me feel loike, morto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

Mrs.K wrote: »
    I

Does anyone have to do a pre-lim chemistry course?

It asks me on my letter if I want to do the course but gave me no information about it whatsoever, so I don't know if its compulsary or not. Anyone know anything more tahn me?

It asks me on my letter if I want to do the course but gave me no information about it whatsoever, so I don't know if its compulsary or not. Anyone know anything more tahn me?

I rang them and they said where it's not compulsory, it's a very advisable thing to do if you're doing a course that uses chemistry [like any medicines or anything] and you've never done chemistry before or you did oridinary level

It's an introduction so when it starts in the course you won't be so lost
    It's held by the college and not the hear people, one of the access ladies told me that by doing it, we do miss some things with the HEAR orientation, as it's on at the same time, but the main things we'll be there for

Hope I explained it ok :/

I'm doing it for nursing

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭not_so_civil

I rang them and they said where it's not compulsory, it's a very advisable thing to do if you're doing a course that uses chemistry [like any medicines or anything] and you've never done chemistry before or you did oridinary level

It's an introduction so when it starts in the course you won't be so lost
    It's held by the college and not the hear people, one of the access ladies told me that by doing it, we do miss some things with the HEAR orientation, as it's on at the same time, but the main things we'll be there for

Hope I explained it ok :/

I'm doing it for nursing

Thats graet thanks. I might give it a miss. I did higher and got on well, so there shouldn't be much for me to cathh up on

Does anyone else feel overpacked? I mean it is for 5 days but it feels like I'm going on holidays. :P

Jaafa wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel overpacked? I mean it is for 5 days but it feels like I'm going on holidays. :P
    I don't have to pack anymore
    I get to stay home fopr the trinity one
    Even though I won't really be in it anymore now I have to go to the pre-chem course D:

I saw you'll be enough in packing day clothes and one or two slightly 'snazzier' outfits for evening/night activites? ;]

I don't have to pack anymore
    I get to stay home fopr the trinity one
    Even though I won't really be in it anymore now I have to go to the pre-chem course D:

I saw you'll be enough in packing day clothes and one or two slightly 'snazzier' outfits for evening/night activites? ;]

Ah so you got out of it then. Determined person you are.;)

I got 4 tee's, 3 jeans, towels, underwear etc still it all takes up a pretty big bag.

Oh and thats not including what I'll be wearing on the first day.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Ah so you got out of it then. Determined person you are.;)

I got 4 tee's, 3 jeans, towels, underwear etc still it all takes up a pretty big bag.

Oh and thats not including what I'll be wearing on the first day.
    Nope lol
    I just didn't get into UCD :(
    Trinity is only Part-residential, so since I live in Dublin I don't have to stay (:

Nope lol
    I just didn't get into UCD :(
    Trinity is only Part-residential, so since I live in Dublin I don't have to stay (:

Well 1 out of 2 ain't bad at all. Congrats.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lama94

do you have to do that chemistry course? i rang and was told it was only for like dental nursing?! also is many people staying during the orientation week??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement