Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network / Streaming to a TV

Options
  • 20-08-2011 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,

Not sure if im posting in the right place here, so mods, move if you need to.

I'm looking for advice on what I need to get to set up a home network.

What I want to be able to do is store everything (music/video) from my own pc and another mac thats in the house on a central location, and then from that location be able to stream the data that I have stored, to a television,

So, my question really is, does anyone have this set up? Or know what I would need to do to set up such a thing

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

gillen wrote: »
    Hi,

Not sure if im posting in the right place here, so mods, move if you need to.

I'm looking for advice on what I need to get to set up a home network.

What I want to be able to do is store everything (music/video) from my own pc and another mac thats in the house on a central location, and then from that location be able to stream the data that I have stored, to a television,

So, my question really is, does anyone have this set up? Or know what I would need to do to set up such a thing

Cheers

I'm no expert but I do use an XBOX 360 & Windows 7 to do something like that. No idea how a MAC would integrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rugrat69

If you have a cabled network in place cat5e/6 in place you could distribute this content over your cable via a tv distribution system/hub.

Take a look at scion technology For this head end equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

A conventional NAS is what you should get for this. You plug it into your home ethernet LAN, and your Mac & PC can put/get files to/from it, and your TV can get it.

AN example of such a nas is this: http://go.iomega.com/en-us/products/network-storage-desktop/home-network-hard-drives/home-media/?partner=4760

For your TV to get the content, it has to be DLNA compatible (recent high spec TVs are) and plugged into your ethernet network. If it isn't, you can get a set top box (aka a media renderer in DLNA language) to view the content - there are specific ones for the task (D-Link are a good name in that front) or Xbox 360 or PS3 can view also.

Advertisement