Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon Fishing

Options
  • 20-08-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

I've never done it before but was thinking about doing a days fishing somewhere around the country preferably in the west coast as I would have somewhere to stay for free. Any suggestions on where would be good to fish in September some time. Was looking at the Eriff fishery which looks quite nice and Ballynahinch castle as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

the moy, ballina water.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

river feale in listowel should be good in september heading down myself for a few days, praying for lots of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Cheers guys, is it difficult to get fishing on the Moy? Also I no experience with a spey rod but have a long enough single hander 8 weight do you think that would be any use?

it depends for the ridge pool and cathedral beat is difficult now as its probably too late to book.. places like mount falcon are probably booked out too but theres fly water on the likes of cloongee and emaa waters if thats what your into.. much wider range of baits/spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

You could also try the Easky river, especially after the next flood. The river hasn't had a good run of salmon that is expected yet so there's bound to be a good run soon. There's a private fishery on the river called Forthlands, I've heard good reports about it.

• Advertisement

Easky river looks interesting all right, so does the Owenduff river some smaller spate rivers would probably be what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

I hope you have lots of money !!

jack01986 wrote: »
    Easky river looks interesting all right, so does the Owenduff river some smaller spate rivers would probably be what I'm looking for.

fisherking wrote: »
    I hope you have lots of money !!

Its like that is it...

FISH THE MOY!! MOST FISH & CHEAPEST!!

The amount of fish in it is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

OP I recommend the Erriff myself, lovely fishing in beautiful surroundings, and not crowded at all - sometimes you have to queue up to fish the better pools on some of the Moy beats.
    Last year the Erriff fished really well in September, and it looks like this year could be similar with later running fish again. The fishery manager is great too, he's a bit gruff til you get to know him, but his heart's in the right place - all he wants to see is his guests catching salmon and he'll do his best to make sure they do.

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Zzippy, I have driven past it loads of times and it looks a lovely river hopefully I'll be able to get something out of it.

I had booked a day on the Erriff river yesterday and was looking forward to it. The weather was'nt looking to promising with strong gales forecast for the day. I got to the river and was met by Jim the fishery manager and he sorted me out with a few tips and pointers he was very helpful. I did my best in the conditions and managed to get a small grilse which I was pretty happy with. Managed to move a fair few fish as well but couldn't connect with them not sure if I was doing something wrong. Will put up a pic when I've a chance. Was an enjoyable day out managed a few small trout on the salmon flies as well. There were a group of lads heading out as well not sure how they got on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

jack01986 wrote: »
    I had booked a day on the Erriff river yesterday and was looking forward to it. The weather was'nt looking to promising with strong gales forecast for the day. I got to the river and was met by Jim the fishery manager and he sorted me out with a few tips and pointers he was very helpful. I did my best in the conditions and managed to get a small grilse which I was pretty happy with. Managed to move a fair few fish as well but couldn't connect with them not sure if I was doing something wrong. Will put up a pic when I've a chance. Was an enjoyable day out managed a few small trout on the salmon flies as well. There were a group of lads heading out as well not sure how they got on.

Well done on the grilse!
    Regarding the hooking .... if you were doing anything at all, you were doing something wrong. That is to say, never strike into a salmon. They go down with their mouth open and a strike pulls the fly out clean, or with a glancing "click" touch sensation. (exception dry fly on top)
    Instead let them tighten the line to you. Only then do you lift your fly rod into tension to sink the hook.
    Were you reacting to the rise with an involuntary pull? Most trout anglers can't stop themselves at first.

Thanks for that coolwings, I was pretty happy to get the grilse even though it was small enough. I knew I wasn't supposed to strike but probably lifted the rod a bit, which pulled it away. Saw some pretty big boils at the fly which was exciting. Really enjoyed it will be doing it again for sure.

Glad to hear it.
    I should have added: if you were using small trebles a tightening (slow weak strike?) often takes a light hookhold in the tongue or front of mouth, but you got to be gentle playing those ones or they're off after 30 seconds!

Here it is, its small enough but I'm very happy with it.

1315652070915.jpg

Your first on the fly? Congrats! :)

Ye was my first salmon on the fly. Bit disappointed I left it so late in the year to try it out would love to get out again.

Advertisement