Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I entitled to a refund?

Options
  • 20-08-2011 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭

Hi!

I purchased a product from a pet store last week only to realise that I had it already at home and therefore did not need it.

Today I went back to the shop with the product and my receipt and visa card. I explained that I would like a refund and was told that I couldn't have my money back as the product was not faulty, however I could have a gift voucher.

I told the assistant that I don't really use the shop that much so I would prefer my money back on my card and he said it was store policy, that unless it was faulty I couldn't have my money back on my card and that if I was to go into any shop be it a clothes shop or supermarket I would get the same response! Now I am sorry but that is bs! Plenty of times I have brought items back with a receipt and got a refund. They don't have a sign up in the shop to explain their refund/exchange policy and when I said this to me, he couldn't answer. So I am just wondering if I am entitled to a refund?

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Shops may refund you as an offer of goodwill. They don't have to refund you as the product was not faulty/not fit for purpose etc. You just changed your mind.

If you search this forum, there are plenty of threads in this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭chicken fingers

He is right you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hilloftara

you are entitled to your money back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

hilloftara wrote: »
    Wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

incorrect. some shops may refund you but it is merely a gesture of goodwill for a change of mind. OP is only "entitled" to one of the 3 "R"s if the item is fauty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Goldenegg wrote: »
    Now I am sorry but that is bs! Plenty of times I have brought items back with a receipt and got a refund.

Not BS at all.

Fairness in Consumer law must work both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Think before you shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Why would you say that? Not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Utter and complete rubbish. As it is a perfect item, not faulty, and you are just changing your mind, you are entitled to nothing.

If they wish, they may give you a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

OP is wrong, there not entitled to anything, be lucky there getting a credit note if there getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

your only entitled to a refund if the item is faulty.

Buying an item by mistake doesn't mean they have to refund you.
    All in all the fact they offered a voucher was rather nice of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

As has already been said by the majority on here, you are not "entitled" to anything.

Their offer of a gift voucher is purely goodwill on their part.

There is also nothing to say that they must have a sign up stating their returns policy.

I summation, the only bs is what you were spouting to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

You could always use the gift voucher to buy pet food in bulk?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Here's an official source:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland.html
    You have no grounds for redress if
    You were told about the defect before you bought the item (for example, if the goods were marked 'shopsoiled')
    You examined the item before you bought it and should have seen the defect
    You bought the item knowing that it wasn’t fit for what you wanted it to do
    You broke or damaged the product
    You made a mistake when buying the item (for example, if you bought an item of clothing thinking it was black when it is actually navy)
    You change your mind

• Registered Users Posts: 46 spurskiely

Happened to me recently . No refund was lucky enough to get a credit note .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

if you can show me where this is stated in Irish consumer law in relation to the OP, i will give you €5000 - actually make it €50,000 - or a €1m. - Make it any figure you like, cos it aint there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Big chains offer cash returns purely as a goodwill gesture. For the likes of M&S or whatever it makes financial sense just to do a refund and return the item to the stock rather than waste a managers time wrangling with a customer.
    For a shop with a smaller, turnover the same isn't necessarily true.

They don't need a sign up unless they're offering something other than your statutory rights. You'll notice where places do have signs up about cash returns or whatever, there's always a small print saying this does not affect your statutory rights. You're expected to know your rights as a responsible consumer and the shop will only inform you of additional rights that they have decided to grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

You even used the product " a few times" . Of course you can't have a refund!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

You even used the product " a few times" . Of course you can't have a refund!

Where did I say I used the product "a few times"?

To everyone else, thanks for the useful info. I admit I was wrong, but really thought at the time o was right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The problem is one shop may do it in a good will gesture to the customer and then the customer automatically believes that because shop A does it then every shop should and does do it and the saying The Customer Is Allways Right doesn't help matters either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

It's worth mentioning that if the shop had refunded your credit card after the charge had gone through, they would been have been charged a fee by the credit card company for doing so. Refunds cost the retailer money.

Why should they be out of pocket because of your mistake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Goldenegg wrote: »
    Where did I say I used the product "a few times"?

To everyone else, thanks for the useful info. I admit I was wrong, but really thought at the time o was right!

It was fairly sound of them to offer a credit note after you insisted they were wrong, reading your last few posts suggests you may have been a bit argumentative on the matter, perhaps you should return and apologise to the staff member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

bobmalooka wrote: »
    It was fairly sound of them to offer a credit note after you insisted they were wrong, reading your last few posts suggests you may have been a bit argumentative on the matter, perhaps you should return and apologise to the staff member.

Working in retail I can assure you that this does not happen,no matter how rude the customer was in the face of their ignorance.

Advertisement