Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ferret neutering

Options
  • 20-08-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

hi guys want to get 1 of my jill ferrets neutered....
    anyone had this done to their jills..
    what is the average cost????
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

Without sounding nosy can I ask why your getting her neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭limerick79

i want to get her neutered as in spring female ferrets come into season and stay in season until they are mated....
    this can and will lead to health problems....
    i have enough ferrets for time being...
    i intend in keeping this jill strictly for work..
    i have breeding stock aside from her...

I kept ferrets myself before and to bring the jills out of heat we used a neutered hob. Between three or four of us we would keep one neutered hob and each of us would use him when we needed to. The act of mating should bring the jill out of heat. You can also breed from the jill down the road to keep a line going or if she turns out to be a good worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I kept ferrets myself before and to bring the jills out of heat we used a neutered hob. Between three or four of us we would keep one neutered hob and each of us would use him when we needed to. The act of mating should bring the jill out of heat. You can also breed from the jill down the road to keep a line going or if she turns out to be a good worker.

Is it a neutered hob that you use blackstairsboy (ie castrated) - does it not have to be vasectomised?? (ie "the snip"rather than full castration?) I haven't kept ferrets for years, so could be utterly wrong about this.

LostCovey

Vasectomised was the word I was looking for but I could not think of it so I went with neutered.:o
    Your spot on he had the pencil but no lead if you know what I mean.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭limerick79

cheers lads but i dont have access to a snipped hob so to speak...
    and i have no interest in borrowing one.....

also have no interest in breeding ferrets as i can get kits from 100% workers whenever i want them.....

know what you guys are saying about using vasectomised hob...

all i want to kow has anyone got an idea of the cost of neutering a jill..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

limerick79 wrote: »
    cheers lads but i dont have access to a snipped hob so to speak...
    and i have no interest in borrowing one.....

also have no interest in breeding ferrets as i can get kits from 100% workers whenever i want them.....

know what you guys are saying about using vasectomised hob...

all i want to kow has anyone got an idea of the cost of neutering a jill..

the mother says that its bout 50-60 euro to get a jill spade depending on the weight. it goes by how much anesthetic they must use so the bigger the jill the more anesthetic must be used.
    so in doing you a favour in asking i just lost 5 minutes of my life that i can never get back listening to crap about what happens if you dont breed them or dont get them spade. :mad:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Advertisement