Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAYG SIM in contract handset

Options
  • 20-08-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Quick question :

Will a Pre-pay/Pay as you go SIM (Vodafone) work in a Vodafone locked handset (which was sold as a contract upgrade).

Reason is - my wife is eligible for an upgrade with Vodafone and she wants to continue to use her existing handset for daytime/work calls and use the upgrade phone for personal use (on a pay as you go basis).

I guess what I am asking is : are the handsets typically only locked to the network or are they also locked to the type of account that the phone was originally provided for ?

--ifc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It should work fine.
    However Vodafone should be willing to unlock the contract phone if the contract is continuing and you should probably ask about this, just to have the flexibility to use another SIM on holidays or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

Many thanks for the quick reply, Ardmacha !

When you speak of the "contract phone" I assume you mean the current contract phone that my wife has as opposed to the new handset that they would give her as part of upgrading ? correct ?

If so, that makes sense - would mean we wouldn't be locked to Voda on the older phone.

--ifc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

When you upgrade you generally have to sign a new contract for a year or whatever, so they should be willing to unlock both the old and new phone at some stage.

Advertisement