Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options if i fail a repeat exam?

Options
  • 20-08-2011 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭

I'm really and truly struggling with the subject that I have to repeat next week. Are there any other options if I fail it again. I'm guessing no, but still I thought I'd ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

What year are you in and what course are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Davidson2k9

Mak_United wrote: »
    What year are you in and what course are you doing?

Business Management, just finished my 2nd year.

Not entirely sure then, just finished 1st year in Computing and they said it might be possible to carry on a subject to second year if the worst comes to worst, as long as it wasn't a key subject. i.e. Maths or Programming if you get the jist.

Don't know what the story is with the Business department and your also going into a degree year?

Best thing to do is look for one of your lecturers when you go back to do your repeat and ask them or email one of them. Best thing to do though would be to talk to head of your department.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

heh, was just gona come on here and ask the same question, trying to get into 3rd year of accounting.

repeating a considerable number of exams and im pretty sure i'm gona fail at least one of them. I'm pretty confident I can pass all the core subjects that matter for the degree, cos ive paid the most attention to them but all the crap they threw in to pad the year out.. I kept putting it on the long finger, and now that the exams are next week I realise there actually is a ****ing ****load of content to look through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nolaner

Yeah i think it depends on what course you guys are doing!

Some allow you to carry on a subject or two and some courses wont!

Worst case scenario is that you'll have to repeat just the ones you failed, but it will be for a whole year again!

• Advertisement

i just hope whether or not you're allowed to do so doesnt have anything to do with how much the lecturers/course heads like you, my attendance in second year was abysmal, hence the repeating many exams in august

If your attendance was terrible, as in never bothering to go in there is a very small chance they will let you carry a subject on to next year.

Fair enough if you went in every day, never missed a class and showed some sort of effort then they would understand and say to themselves, "This lad really wants to do well".

yeah, it's very much a miracle option for me at this stage but i' not reallyu expecting it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Want Justice

heh, was just gona come on here and ask the same question, trying to get into 3rd year of accounting.

Hey man could ya tell me whats the accounting course like (other than the spot of bother your in now) Im starting there this year but as mature student... Like what did you find the most difficult??? I was thinking economics?? Whats the business maths like?? I'd appreciate any feedback from you..

economics is actually very straightforward, it's basic as all hell. all you really have to do is learn a few diagrams (not even complicated ones) and explain what they mean.

the accounting class itself in 1st year isn't bad either, they move through it very slowly (or they did for my class at least :) ) and there are lots of repeatedly doing questions and examples so you'll pick that up without much trouble.

business maths.. well I've always liked maths, so I didnt have any trouble with it but there were some people in my class who struggled. imo, if you attend the classes (the lecturer is good) you'll have no trouble.

the hardest class is law, not because it's terribly complicated but because you just have to memorise a ****ing **** ton of information. My main piece of advice for the year would be attend every law class.. no matter how boring it gets just sit there and try to pay attention. Most of the other classes you'll get by doing a little bit here and there and then seriously cramming before the exams, but law you will really want to be doing work all year round or you are in for a world of pain.

there's a management/communication class too and the management side of it is taught by the department head.. he's sound as all hell and the material isn't complicated at all.

uh.. other than that there's marketing and IT. It is just.. learning how to type and.. i think there were excel classes and stuff. marketing is just.. marketing. it's a pain in the ass, but it only lasts half the year. wasn't hard or anything just.. i hated it.

--edit

oh, and if you're worried about going in as a mature student. I was too, but there were almost more mature students in my class than there were leaving cert age students.

• Advertisement

the hardest class is law, not because it's terribly complicated but because you just have to memorise a ****ing **** ton of information. My main piece of advice for the year would be attend every law class.. no matter how boring it gets just sit there and try to pay attention. Most of the other classes you'll get by doing a little bit here and there and then seriously cramming before the exams, but law you will really want to be doing work all year round or you are in for a world of pain.

I did the opposite of this which is why I mightn't be getting into 3rd year :o

Fecking law

heh, same as me.. except I took it a step further and just didn't attend college for 5-6 months

i dont know why, im sure it seemed like a great idea at the time but right now i'm puzzled as to my reasoning.

if I can just pass tomorrow mornings exam I think I'm ok for the rest of them.. I think..

actually.. that letter that authorises me to take the repeats
    do I have to sign that?

actually.. that letter that authorises me to take the repeats
    do I have to sign that?

I dont think its too important. My friend forgot his but the examiner said his student card would be enough

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

The exam authorisation forms are sent out in case students don't have their cards anymore so either is fine :)

Good luck to all doing the repeats.

Results are out on the 14th AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

If the results are apparently out on the 14th, then how will people doing repeats be able to register/get copy of results for grant applications...which in turn leads back to registration?

I would be one of the repeating students myself, and cannot even look for accommodation as if I cannot get on to the grants office for that letter (providing I pass the repeats), then I need to pay that 500-odd to the registration deposit. Things can never go smooth for me >.<

the 14th?
    so only 3 weeks of blissfull ignorance until I get told to gtfo

If the results are apparently out on the 14th, then how will people doing repeats be able to register/get copy of results for grant applications...which in turn leads back to registration?

I would be one of the repeating students myself, and cannot even look for accommodation as if I cannot get on to the grants office for that letter (providing I pass the repeats), then I need to pay that 500-odd to the registration deposit. Things can never go smooth for me >.<

Well the exams go up as far as the 1st September and the exam board meeting is on the 9th September. The results are out the 14th .

There is late registration for students that had to do repeats - it's advertised on the screens around the college after the results are published.

There's nothing you can do until the results are out i'm afraid :( Best of luck with the repeats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Ms Happy wrote: »
    Well the exams go up as far as the 1st September and the exam board meeting is on the 9th September. The results are out the 14th .

There is late registration for students that had to do repeats - it's advertised on the screens around the college after the results are published.

There's nothing you can do until the results are out i'm afraid :( Best of luck with the repeats :)
    Thank You for the prompt reply Ms Happy, I guess the only thing to do is wait...oh and to pass the exams haha!

Thanks again:)

if you fail 2 core subjects, obviously you can't get into the next year but what's the story with repeating the exams the next year?

i'll be lucky to scrape 30-35 marks in my first 2 exams, so I'm pondering just not sitting the rest of them.. no point if I'm already locked out of third year.
    can I pay the 25 euro again to sit them all in summer 2012? or doI have to actually repeat the entire year.. which would cost whast.. 2-3 grand? and then registration as well?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Power21

I failed two core subjects last year and I was allowed to carry them.
    I did have extenuating circumstances though and I know that's something they do take into account!
    Best of luck with it :)

The general rule is you can carry one non-core subject of either 5 or 10 credits into your next year of study. This is at the discretion of your Head of School/Department and is on a case by case basis.

If you are unsuccessful in the repeats you can apply to carry subjects after the results come out. Generally you are not permitted to sit in on classes and the onus is on the student to have the notes etc for the subject.
    Also, students are responsible to know what their timetable is for the exams and if they notice a clash between the subject they are carrying and the other exams from the next year of study they have to contact their school office or the exams office.

If you are unable to carry a subject i'm afraid you would have to register to repeat as an external candidate in the May 2012 sitting.

HTH ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Magiskais18

Power21 wrote: »
    I failed two core subjects last year and I was allowed to carry them.
    I did have extenuating circumstances though and I know that's something they do take into account!
    Best of luck with it :)

And what was the circumstances that helped you if it's not a secret of course?!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm locking this thread as it's two years old. Please start a new thread if you have any queries about repeating modules.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement