Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still adults out there who don't/can't drive?

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

At risk of repeating myself, cite? Because I sure as hell cannot see where it says you need 30 lessons before taking your test?

http://www.naukajazdy.pl/driving_licence_poland/how_to_get_driving_licence.html

"Theoretical training for a given category may not be less than:

30 hours for categories A, A1, B, B1, T
    20 hours for categories C, C+E, D, D+E, C1, C1+E, D1, D1+E, B+E

Practical training may not be less than:

15 hours for categories B+E,
    20 hours for categories A, A1, C1, C1+E, D1+E, T,
    25 hours for categories C+E or D+E,
    30 hours for categories B, B1, C, D1,
    60 hours for category D. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

softmee wrote: »
    But you've had opportunity to drive before that right??? I didnt - my father died when I was young and my mum couldnt afford car, so stop talking nonsense! :mad:

I'm not talking nonsense, I'm a very talented individual :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

softmee wrote: »
    http://www.naukajazdy.pl/driving_licence_poland/how_to_get_driving_licence.html

"Theoretical training for a given category may not be less than:

30 hours for categories A, A1, B, B1, T
    20 hours for categories C, C+E, D, D+E, C1, C1+E, D1, D1+E, B+E

Practical training may not be less than:

15 hours for categories B+E,
    20 hours for categories A, A1, C1, C1+E, D1+E, T,
    25 hours for categories C+E or D+E,
    30 hours for categories B, B1, C, D1,
    60 hours for category D. "

Fair enough, Poland requires 30 hours of lessons. Do we have any other examples, perhaps get up to most of Europe as was claimed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Fair enough, Poland requires 30 hours of lessons. Do we have any other examples, perhaps get up to most of Europe as was claimed?

I don't know about other countries, but think about the fact there is no such a thing like provisional license -learners permit in Poland. So you can only drive driving school car with driving instructor before you get license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,993 ✭✭✭✭blorg

kevez wrote: »
    My brother is nearly 34 and has never had a car he has driven all right but but was never insured or anthing and the time he has driven it was my car and it was into a wall and completly wrecked it :( he has always got lifts into work still lives at home and has never had to pay a bill in his life has about 50k in his account and still wont buy a car :mad: :mad:
    I saved a ton of money myself working for ten years without the expense of a car. I'd be more concerned about the living at home, but if your parents are OK with it...

OP asked about adults that don't drive, as "owning a car is damn near a necessity." Us non-drivers replied explaining how we chose not to have a car and how we didn't find it necessary. For some reason this has been met with rank incredulity and defensiveness from drivers. I think is telling, as no-one has been criticising people who do drive, just explaining that we don't find it necessary. It's a choice. If for you the expense of a car is worth the money, good for you (and I can certainly visualise situations where it would be.) But to suggest non-drivers are "retarded", childish, naive, cowardly, highly irresponsible, unequipped for life and unable to care for their dependents and poor dying parents is just plain offensive. It displays a shocking lack of empathy and a complete inability to imagine how other people may live differently to you, even in this most trivial of ways. God help you if you ever have to deal with people from a fundamentally different culture. People can have different priorities to you and not need nor want to waste their money on a car they don't need. Personal choice. Get over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I hate the way motorists are trying their best to kill our planet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,017 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I hate the way motorists are trying their best to kill our planet...
    Oh, the planet will be fine ... it's the people that are screwed.

I don't think that most of the drivers here have seen just how bad it can get when cars take over a city. I haven't been to LA, but I have been to Houston, and the urban sprawl is terrifying to behold. The Greater Houston area is about 1/3 the size of Ireland, with about the same population (~6M), criss-crossed with freeways. Imagine Leinster with over twice as many people, and several times as many cars on the road. Few people live in the city itself: commuting by car is the norm. Yet traffic jams are not common (I'm told), because the road system is so much "better" ... by which they mean "bigger". Many 4-lane freeways, including their "north circular", and one that goes straight past the city centre. The sheer volume of car traffic, is scary - and they're not small cars, either.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Malari wrote: »
    No, just for the test, I meant. Yeah, I had my parents' car. I guess most people would have a family member with a car, I think that was the way everyone I know learned to drive. But my point was that you don't actually need to own a car to pass a test.

Well, then, what did you learn to drive in?
    Or did you just show up for the test one day and passed?

Cite?

Or is that pulled from your ass?

(For the record, I had three whole lessons before taking my test, in NI)

Germany mandates 14 theoretical and 12 practical lessons, plus however many practical lessons you may need.
    You are NOT allowed to drive a car without an instructor until you have your full license, so any practice has to be done as lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Noel Gallagher cannot drive and he owns a few cars..... he say's he's going to learn soon though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Shenshen wrote: »
    Well, then, what did you learn to drive in?
    Or did you just show up for the test one day and passed?

Like I said, I had my parents' car (only ever with my dad in it) for use to learn, but that's not the point. I was refuting you when you said that you needed to own a car to pass a test. If you don't have a car, you can still use an instructor's car to learn and borrow a car to do the test.

Like I said, I had my parents' car (only ever with my dad in it) for use to learn, but that's not the point. I was refuting you when you said that you needed to own a car to pass a test. If you don't have a car, you can still use an instructor's car to learn and borrow a car to do the test.

I never said you need to own a car, so thanks for refuting a point I didn't make.

I said it's expensive because you need to either own a car or pay for an instructor.

If you're lucky enough to have someone in your family with a car, good for you. Not everybody does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭thejuggler

I don't drive at present and I'm in my mid 30's

I used to drive for a period in my mid 20s but never felt confident so between that and the cost I gave up on it.
    If you live in an urban area there is usually sufficient public transport to get where you need to go.
    Having acar is conveneint but it's a costly convenience that you need to get value out of to make it worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Cooking and swimming are both basic lifeskills that should be taught to everybody. They still are not. Driving is a lifestyle choice along with ability to operate a DVD player or a computer, not a basic lifeskill.

I don't see how swimming is more of a basic lifeskill than driving is. Both are completely optional activities and people can quite happily pass through life without knowing either. I would agree about cooking though.

thejuggler wrote: »
    I don't see how swimming is more of a basic lifeskill than driving is. Both are completely optional activities and people can quite happily pass through life without knowing either. I would agree about cooking though.

I don't see how there's a higher risk of actually getting killed if you don't drive... if anything it would be the opposite, I'd imagine.
    Being able to swim can save your life. Unless you make sure to never go near any rivers, lakes or the sea, of course.

Cooking is a lifestyle choice, as being able to cook has the potential to keep you healthy and will save you money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Considering 70% of the earth is water, there could be a chance you could end up in it at some stage.. Swimming is essential.

I never said you need to own a car, so thanks for refuting a point I didn't make.

I said it's expensive because you need to either own a car or pay for an instructor.

Fair enough, but it sounded like you made a distinction between buying a car and paying an instructor and I was just saying you don't need to buy one.
    How do you get one without a car, especially in this country?

The main reason I don't drive is because I simply don't have the money to waste on either buying a car, or paying an instructor.

If you're lucky enough to have someone in your family with a car, good for you. Not everybody does.

And I never said that either. I was addressing that exact point. Not everyone does, but it's possible to pass a test without anyway. I know one person who has done so. What's with the "congratulations" and "good for you" like I'm boasting? I'm just having a discussion!

And I never said that either. I was addressing that exact point. Not everyone does, but it's possible to pass a test without anyway. I know one person who has done so. What's with the "congratulations" and "good for you" like I'm boasting? I'm just having a discussion!

A lot of people here have explained so far that nobody in their family or circle of friends owns a car. I have explained on more than one occasion that I happen to be one of them.
    You keep stating that getting a driving license isn't expensive because you can borrow a car, and yes, by now that does sound a little like boasting.

A lot of people here have explained so far that nobody in their family or circle of friends owns a car. I have explained on more than one occasion that I happen to be one of them.
    You keep stating that getting a driving license isn't expensive because you can borrow a car, and yes, by now that does sound a little like boasting.

I'm not arguing expensive, I'm arguing possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I can't. Growing up my folks never had a car. My father was able to walk to work. Getting to town wasn't a problem as we lived on a busy bus route. I was the youngest in the family and my brothers and sister bought cars but only after they'd emigrated.

So I'm afraid there was no history of cars in our family. As an adult I was lucky enough to get a job in the city centre and so I've been able to walk to work for years. I bought a house recently which is 35km from work but the town has excellent public transport.

I do feel at a disadvantage and will take lessons in the near future as not driving can be very inconvenient.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

thejuggler wrote: »
    I don't see how swimming is more of a basic lifeskill than driving is.
    Ill remember that next time I fall into the driving seat of a moving vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Considering 70% of the earth is water, there could be a chance you could end up in it at some stage..

Even if you live in the Sahara desert and dont drive ?
    mada999 wrote: »
    Noel Gallagher cannot drive and he owns a few cars..... he say's he's going to learn soon though...
    If the media legends about his penchant for intoxicating substances are anyways true perhaps hes better off leaving the driving to someone else ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I am 28 and cant drive. I have no interest in learning. I live, and have always lived in the city centre. I dont plan on living anywhere else other than a city.

It really bothers me when people look at me like I am a freak because I cant drive. They equate it with laziness when it is nothing of the sort for me personally. I am not a lazy person. I work damned hard at college and get straight A's. I just dont see the need to know how to drive when I plan on living in an urban area.

Many of my friends and even some family members have asked me in the past how it is that I have so many nice things, such as a nice tv, large music and movie collection/ book collection/ clothers. and how it is I can travel so much.

The simple answer is because I dont own a car and I dont smoke or drink heavily, therefore I have a lot of spare cash for living life rather than throwing all my money down the drain on petrol and car tax & insurance.

Thats just my two cents anyways. IM sure having a car gives a lot of freedom to hop in and go whereever you want whenever you want, but so does having lots of free dosh in your pocket from not spending thousands on insurance etc annually!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I'm only learning now at 25. I haven't needed to up to this point and more importantly I didn't feel ready to do so.

I have many friends who don't either for these reasons.

Not really all that strange to be honest.

Advertisement