Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still adults out there who don't/can't drive?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I only learned to drive 4 years ago when i was 38. I was a late learner. I got sick of having to use buses and I woke up one morning and said that's it I am going to do the theory test and buy a car simple as that,

but the strange thing about this is that nearly every night years before i could drive, I always had dreams of driving. I could drive great in my dreams but did not know how to drive in real life. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Vanbis wrote: »
    I've a friend who is 30 and married a baby

WHAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I could probably get away without a car myself. Bumming lifts and using buses would just about see me through, but Im used to the independence now and won't go back. I sometimes think it would be great if I wasnt a petrolhead, the money Id save would be immense. Motorists are the biggest fúckíng cash cow this state has, and boy does it milk our teets dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I thought I was old learning to drive at 23.
    That was 3 years ago, and now I'd rather saw off an arm than live without a car.
    I hate walking anywhere with my kids- one pulls out of one hand, the other out of the other, and it's just impossible.
    Living without a car is like living without the internet :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

25, only learning now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

zenno wrote: »
    I could drive great in my dreams but did not know how to drive in real life. :D

I used to have dreams about flying (like superman) as a kid.

I used to dive from a top bunk to a single bed hoping my flying powers would 'kick in' mid 'flight' and I'd fly straight thru the bedroom window and out into the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I once worked with a guy in his forties who was put off the road for two years for medical reasons, he told (almost) everyone that he had been caught for drink driving as he didn't want them to know that he had a medical problem, I thought that was very sad :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

24, only learning now.

Never needed to before. There's buses stop either outside my house going up to Dublin (God love Matthews) or within walking distance. Just never could justify the amount of money needed to actually get a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

25, haven't even applied for the theory test yet. I might get the ball rolling in September though and see about getting my name added to the insurance for the family car, though.

Main thing that put me off doing this sooner was the cost of insurance, like hell was I going to be paying extortionate prices simply because I was a male who was under 25!

That and the transport links where I live are actually pretty good, though with a car, you can obviously come and go as you please and not need to live by a timetable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I'm 26 and I'm learning about two months. I was too afraid/nervous to learn any sooner really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

23 and can't drive. Have a learner's licence since I was 19. Just couldn't be bothered. Very rarely need to drive anywhere and have nobody to teach me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Only learned to drive in the last two years.

The longer you leave it, the harder it gets. Should have done something about it ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Had no choice but to learn to drive at 17, no public transport where I live. Although being a petrol head helped me :D

23 and can't drive. Have a learner's licence since I was 19. Just couldn't be bothered. Very rarely need to drive anywhere and have nobody to teach me.

no need, sure I thought myself to drive I never once got a lesson I just hopped in and conked out a lot but after a while I got used to the whole car. though I was lucky in a way, I had plenty of space to learn without going on the roads till I was confident enough. 4 years on now and it's just second nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

I didn't learn until my late twenties. Was able to walk to college and work and had plenty of good public transport options so I didn't see the point at the time.

Now the car sits outside gathering dust during the week, an expensive luxury, but it's great to be able to head off anywhere, pick up bulky items etc. without too much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

WHAT?

That should of said married with a 4 month old baby ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

There are plenty of people living in Donegal / Kerry who can drive very well. They also have full licenses and are well able to teach their kids how to drive. Fair play.
    Driving in a city like Dublin or Cork is a whole other issue. I'm in the won't camp wholesale, the can't in terms of city driving.

There are not many roundabouts, one way street systems etc. in Castlemahon or Termonfeckin. Driving a car from NCW to Limerick is not driving from Dame St. to the airport. Same vehicle, different route.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

zenno wrote: »
    no need, sure I thought myself to drive I never once got a lesson I just hopped in and conked out a lot but after a while I got used to the whole car. though I was lucky in a way, I had plenty of space to learn without going on the roads till I was confident enough. 4 years on now and it's just second nature.

I don't have a car either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

A lot of my ma's friends (in their 60s) can't drive. My ma has been learning for aggggggges but she's terrible at driving and knows it. She says if she had her time over she'd have learnt when she was much younger - it was only when my dad was ill last year she realised she had no-one else to drive her around the place.

I have to say though I am glad I learned to drive even at a late age as the freedom to get to a destination in comfort with the sounds going is unbeatable. like the other poster said, no waiting on timetables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I replied in the old thread, so I won't repeat what I said there. My lack of interest in driving has influenced my life, in the choices I've made, where I go and where I live etc. I see some folks saying "but what if you lived out where the buses don't run?" - to which I say "I'm not going to live out where the buses don't run". The living costs in Dublin are a bit higher - but then I don't have the expenses associated with a car. I tried cycling, but even that was more hassle and danger than it's worth.

Ditto for holidays - I've managed just fine with public on four continents: the one exception was a business trip to Bangalore, when I had my own driver: no Westerner on a tight schedule can just land in the third world and be expected to get it right first time. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭madmammy

i don't drive, i'm in my 30's..my parents never drove we learnt to walk everywhere or get the bus or train thats what they are there for.
    there's too many nutters out there driving why should i put myself and my children in that danger (drunk drivers or people with no licence, tax and insurance who don't care how they drive)

if you drive then fair play to you
    if you don't there's nothing unusual about that, i know plenty of people who don't

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

I know how to drive but don't have a license, I really regret putting it off but I couldn't afford it and still can't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm 28 and I can't drive a car. I do make up for it though buy being able to drive one of these: http://www.tidel.biz/photos/rnlirib.jpg

I do have a shiny new learner's permit and I will be getting lessons shortly from my brother. :)

madmammy wrote: »
    i don't drive, i'm in my 30's..my parents never drove we learnt to walk everywhere or get the bus or train thats what they are there for.
    there's too many nutters out there driving why should i put myself and my children in that danger (drunk drivers or people with no licence, tax and insurance who don't care how they drive)

if you drive then fair play to you
    if you don't there's nothing unusual about that, i know plenty of people who don't

well you will be very healthy with the walking. I like walking myself but when you get a car that all goes out the window unless you force yourself to walk some. also the traffic out there is crazy but you get used to expecting the unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Learned to drive at 16 and was really keen to pass my test ASAP. My siblings showed very little interest, although they were given the same opportunity.

I love driving, but I live in a city so only drive once a week or two. Can't imagine not being able to, it's so useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I don't drive ATM, although I used to.
    Driving to work - traffic is awful. Driving into town - parking fees or cruising to find parking, then walking miles back to the car.
    Bikes, taxis and walks FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

I don't think I could survive without my car. I think I would go mental without it, its all about freedom and independence, I would feel so embarrassed asking people for lifts everywhere.

My father doesnt drive and my Mother only learned recently, I got my first lessons a week after I turned 17 so I was determined.

mhge wrote: »
    I don't drive ATM, although I used to.
    Driving to work - traffic is awful. Driving into town - parking fees or cruising to find parking, then walking miles back to the car.
    Bikes, taxis and walks FTW!

I agree with the problems of parking that's for sure, it can be a nightmare sometimes and yes sometimes you have to walk a good distance but at least you will get some exercise and be thankful you did when you get back home.

I just drive for pleasure but what really bugs me is the amount of dints and scrapes on my car from parking in the shopping centers, everytime I get back to my car theres a new dint or big scratch. I'm not too unhappy with this problem as the car only cost me €700 but it shows you that you really need to be mad to park in these places with a new €15 or €20,000 car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I have a cousin who's 32 and only past his driving test last year. He failed it 3 times. He doesn't even have a car yet. The thing is, he lives in a rural area and kind of needs it too. Shear laziness. His dad used to give him a lift into work until he was 25 (cringe) and when he met his girlfriend she started to drive him around the place. I'm 20 now and got my full driver's licence a little over a year ago. Next time I meet him I'm going to rub it in with salt.

Advertisement