Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still adults out there who don't/can't drive?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I can drive but I don't.

Environmental reasons when I live in the city.

If I ever move back home I'm going to have to. No other way of getting around in the sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

Lived in London for ten years so didnt need to drive, came back, learnt at age 35, that was ten years ago, love to drive, love the freedom feeling of going where I want, when I want. Also for the people who are afraid to learn, my dad learnt at 50...so it can be done...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

I'm in the Granddad age group and have never learned to drive.

Back when I was in my twenties, I used to work for a small firm and spent some time on what amounted to like a little farm.

There one of the lads taught me the rudiments of starting a vehicle and making it move. So I was able to load a truck, in the barn. Then drive it out and offload the gear across the field.

Never forget; One time the guy asked me to pull through the gates and he'd lock them. I saw the country lane outside was clear and promptly floored it! :D

Savage craic! Me laughing like a loon as I shot down the road. Terry, also laughing his head off as he ran after me.

But, no. I hate oil and grease and things mechanical. If I had a motor and it stopped? I'd be completely at the mercy of the first mechanic on the scene.

Animals I get on with. And, yes; I really have got a horse outside! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

Im 34 and cant drive. I own a car and it has been sitting outside with 2 yrs. I did a few lessons but hated it, I only did them because everyone around me was putting pressure on me to learn. I eventually got the courage to tell them go feck themselves.
    I dont want or need to drive nor can I afford to.

• Advertisement

Ditch wrote: »
    I'm in the Granddad age group and have never learned to drive.

Back when I was in my twenties, I used to work for a small firm and spent some time on what amounted to like a little farm.

There one of the lads taught me the rudiments of starting a vehicle and making it move. So I was able to load a truck, in the barn. Then drive it out and offload the gear across the field.

Never forget; One time the guy asked me to pull through the gates and he'd lock them. I saw the country lane outside was clear and promptly floored it! :D

Savage craic! Me laughing like a loon as I shot down the road. Terry, also laughing his head off as he ran after me.

But, no. I hate oil and grease and things mechanical. If I had a motor and it stopped? I'd be completely at the mercy of the first mechanic on the scene.

Animals I get on with. And, yes; I really have got a horse outside! :)

I would have imagined that a car would be essential around rural areas, given the lack of public transport, etc..

My Dad grew up on a farm and himself and all his brothers learned how to drive young, he learned when he was 14 in an old Austin A40 but he smashed it to pieces on his first go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'm 22, never had any interest in driving. Was offered my dad's old car (wasn't too old, it was a 2001 in great nick) for nothing, but didn't want it. I live 10 minutes from Dublin city centre and on an extremely frequent bus service, and I like public transport so for now, I have no need to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

I have friends who live in cities with there cars parked outside while they either walk or use public transport to work POINTLESS! The only reason I learnt to drive as I lived in rural Ireland growing up, I drive now for work and to get home but if I had the choice I wouldn't drive and oh to answer your question I know loads that don't drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭dirtypanties

I don't know how to drive..it's on my list of things to learn eventually-not a necessity at the mo-I would need to be in the position to afford a car first!

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I'm 22, never had any interest in driving. Was offered my dad's old car (wasn't too old, it was a 2001 in great nick) for nothing, but didn't want it. I live 10 minutes from Dublin city centre and on an extremely frequent bus service, and I like public transport so for now, I have no need to drive.

Why does everything always have to be about the necessity. Driving is a good skill to have. What if you needed to get to somewhere that didn't have good public transport?

• Advertisement

Why does everything always have to be about the necessity. Driving is a good skill to have. What if you needed to get to somewhere that didn't have good public transport?

I'd get public transport as near to the place as I could, then get a taxi, same as I do now. Driving isn't something I have an interest in, so of course it's only about the necessity to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I'd get public transport as near to the place as I could, then get a taxi, same as I do now. Driving isn't something I have an interest in, so of course it's only about the necessity to me.

some people here are missing the point in relation to driving a car.

for pleasure purposes I find it great just to drive anywhere with no particular place/location in mind and just drive for the pleasure experience. it can be great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

So I'm supposed to learn to drive, not use that skill for years, then jump behind the wheel of a borrowed or rented car and head off in to the unknown? Would you want to be on the same road as me? It's not a game. Besides, for the occasional trip you can pay someone to take you the last few miles - they're called "taxis", I believe. Not cheap, but still cheaper than driving lessons and car rental.

I have no real objection to driving, but I just can't justify the time and expense of lessons against the possibility that I have to go somewhere that even taxis can't reach. (Yes - I'd have to pay for lessons, there's no-one around who would teach me for free.) I'm also keeping the bigger issues in sight: we're heading for a future in which driving is going to become much more expensive than it already is. This "go anywhere, any time, cheaply" capability is a luxury that we won't always have, so we may as well start planning for what happens afterwards.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

zenno wrote: »
    some people here are missing the point in relation to driving a car.

for pleasure purposes I find it great just to drive anywhere with no particular place/location in mind and just drive for the pleasure experience. it can be great fun.

I'm not missing that point, but I don't like traveling without any destination or purpose, so it wouldn't be much fun for me, which is why I'll only learn if it becomes necessary for me. I get that other people like it, but it's not for me.

Ok, put it this way.

You were offered a car for free, according to an earlier post. If it's a relatively small car then you'd be probably paying about €30-40 on petrol for five days a week. That's about €1500 a year. Then with tax and insurance you'll be paying another €1500 on top of that, so €3000 all round for transport in a car.

Let's say for Dublin Bus, you buy a 5-day Rambler ticket. That's €20 a week, or €1040 a year. If you get the taxi during the week it would cost you about €15-20 euro a go. So that's €75 a week or €3900 a year for taxi alone. The combined cost of buses and taxis for the year would be nearly €5000.

Car: €3000
    Bus & Taxi: €5000

Going through the trouble of getting buses and taxes will cost you time also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Have you ever met someone who doesn't drive? I always found it a rather strange skill to lack in modern Ireland where owning a car is damn near a necessity.

I know of a couple of people who don't drive.

What's up with that shit?

My wife does not know how to drive. She uses public transport during the week and we drive to where we want to drive to at weekends. It is not as strange as you are trying to make out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It is not as strange as you are trying to make out.

I've realized that by looking at this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Was in my early thirties before I decided to learn properly and get a licence. Managed up until then because I got lifts for work (workvan) or else took the bike or a bus, taxi.
    Having been at it over 5 years now I still wonder how I managed before I learned and regret not learning years ago...the freedom outweighs the costs (which are sizable) and in the downturn it allowed me to start out on my own in work, something I couldn't do with public transport. Recently I've got back into the bike for short journeys to keep fit and save on petrol, but I wouldn't be without the car.
    Someone said the longer you leave it the harder it is...I found learning was easier at a later age (tried when I was in my early 20's), but it was the fear of learning (or failing) that was the real hurdle to overcome.
    I'm now one of those annoying c*nts who tell others that have been driving for decades that they're doing something wrong :D and whilst usually very mild mannered I suffer badly with roadrage, something I'm trying to tackle.
    tl;dr version: driving rocks but it's not for everyone, just cos you're over 18 doesn't mean you should automatically jump behind the wheel...

Ok, put it this way.

You were offered a car for free, according to an earlier post. If it's a relatively small car then you'd be probably paying about €30-40 on petrol for five days a week. That's about €1500 a year. Then with tax and insurance you'll be paying another €1500 on top of that, so €3000 all round for transport in a car.

Let's say for Dublin Bus, you buy a 5-day Rambler ticket. That's €20 a week, or €1040 a year. If you get the taxi during the week it would cost you about €15-20 euro a go. So that's €75 a week or €3900 a year for taxi alone. The combined cost of buses and taxis for the year would be nearly €5000.

Car: €3000
    Bus & Taxi: €5000

Going through the trouble of getting buses and taxes will cost you time also.

I only get a taxi like once every 2 or 3 months, costing between 20 and 30. I get a 3 day rambler each week because I walk most of the time because I live next to everything and even walk into town to work sometimes because I'm on a health kick. I spend about 80 tops per month on travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I have a cousin who's 32 and only past his driving test last year. He failed it 3 times. He doesn't even have a car yet. The thing is, he lives in a rural area and kind of needs it too. Shear laziness. His dad used to give him a lift into work until he was 25 (cringe) and when he met his girlfriend she started to drive him around the place. I'm 20 now and got my full driver's licence a little over a year ago. Next time I meet him I'm going to rub it in with salt.
    Was your cousin involved in a car accident? I was a passenger in three car crashes, one bad one and it took me ages to summon up to the courage to drive, I was a complete nervous wreck, than there was also the added pressure of coming from a home where everyone passed their test first time :(

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There's everything within walking distance.Good public services why bother.You can't be without a car in most parts of ireland especially a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I agree with the person who points out that learning to drive is a life skill everyone should have.
    I hate the responsibilities a car brings, but I buy into it because of the huge degree of freedom it gives me.
    I've tried life without a car (and every now and again I'm tempted to ditch the expense) but my memories of that time are of spending hours waiting for buses and trains, and bumming lifts off people who were prepared to foot the expense of insurance, road tax, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Was your cousin involved in a car accident? I was a passenger in three car crashes, one bad one and it took me ages to summon up to the courage to drive, I was a complete nervous wreck, than there was also the added pressure of coming from a home where everyone passed their test first time :(
    Oh don't be such a drama queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Oh don't be such a drama queen.
    A year off work due to injuries has that affect, I wouldn't recommend it, there are easier ways of getting attention :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

I never learned to drive and unless I move out into the sticks alone (which is possible) I don't see the need to own a car. I go everywhere either by bus, cycle or on foot. Apart from the environmental consideration there's the cost.

Qwning and running a car is ludicrously expensive in this country and I have better things to spend the little money I have than on a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Was in two writes offs myself. People crashing into the back of me. Still feel a bit edgey if I'm stopped in the road to turn right across traffic.

Didn't stop me from driving though.

MrsD007 wrote: »

As far as I know he wasn't. He's just lazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Buses make me feel depressed. It's hard to explain and you don't really notice it at the time, but there is some kind of fundamental invasion of your privacy and independance, especially privacy. Only when you can drive in a car where you want, when you want do you fully notice this horrible bus feeling. I swear for some reason waiting for a bus is one of the most depressing things I have ever done in life, I hate it and I can't even pinpoint why.

Getting from one place to another driving can be a real pleasure. It can be fun. Travelling the same routes nearly every day obviously can get tiresome, but vastly less than the same thing on a bus.

Whenever I see people on buses now I think "poor sods". It's not to be snobby or anything, I just think it's a slightly degrading way to travel. For some reason, I don't get that feeling at all on a train. A train can be a classy way of travelling... you have a table at least, a good view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

When you live in the sticks you need to know how to drive, Dublin on the other hand with db dart n luas yous are on pigs back :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Drive a car? I know some people who can't ride a bike! :pac:

Advertisement