Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still adults out there who don't/can't drive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I'm still learning after a few years of stopping and starting to learn to drive whilst taking breaks in between but getting there since I have gone back to it again and with more consistent practise...hopefully I have gone past the dire stages and gradually improving with my driving! A bit to go yet before doing the test though! :D

I have a car and can ride a bike! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Ok, put it this way.

You were offered a car for free, according to an earlier post. If it's a relatively small car then you'd be probably paying about €30-40 on petrol for five days a week. That's about €1500 a year. Then with tax and insurance you'll be paying another €1500 on top of that, so €3000 all round for transport in a car.

Let's say for Dublin Bus, you buy a 5-day Rambler ticket. That's €20 a week, or €1040 a year. If you get the taxi during the week it would cost you about €15-20 euro a go. So that's €75 a week or €3900 a year for taxi alone. The combined cost of buses and taxis for the year would be nearly €5000.

Car: €3000
    Bus & Taxi: €5000

Going through the trouble of getting buses and taxes will cost you time also.

lol.

Since the car was free there is no depreciation cost. Thats unusual. The real average cost of depreciation is €1,000-2,000 a year. The car you have if remarkably free of servicing costs, and other MOT costs etc. So you dont get that either. And €30-€40 per week seems pretty small to me. I am going to cost the average car at €5-€6000 a year, including depreciation.

On the other hand your bus and tax stats assume people dont walk or cycle, or take a holiday off. You are also assuming that all taxis are €15-€20 and all are taken, along, with buses, pretty much every week day, along with the rambler card ( If people have the card they wont take a taxi, except in emergencies, or late - and late night taxi use after drinking applies to car owners as well).

So a total misuse of stats here. The real cost is about €1-€2000 euro. Cars cost more which is why poor people take the bus.

Wertz wrote: »
    Was in my early thirties before I decided to learn properly and get a licence. Managed up until then because I got lifts for work (workvan) or else took the bike or a bus, taxi.
    Having been at it over 5 years now I still wonder how I managed before I learned and regret not learning years ago...the freedom outweighs the costs (which are sizable) and in the downturn it allowed me to start out on my own in work, something I couldn't do with public transport. Recently I've got back into the bike for short journeys to keep fit and save on petrol, but I wouldn't be without the car.
    Someone said the longer you leave it the harder it is...I found learning was easier at a later age (tried when I was in my early 20's), but it was the fear of learning (or failing) that was the real hurdle to overcome.
    I'm now one of those annoying c*nts who tell others that have been driving for decades that they're doing something wrong :D and whilst usually very mild mannered I suffer badly with roadrage, something I'm trying to tackle.
    tl;dr version: driving rocks but it's not for everyone, just cos you're over 18 doesn't mean you should automatically jump behind the wheel...

I think if you get the case of the road-rage syndrome and the case of wanting to drive out on your own while learning to drive then that will make you seem more ready, confident and aware of your driving and your need and determination to drive and get the test/full licence. Its a necessary skill I think people be lost without being able to drive or at least attempt to learn you know then you are trying and have tried your best. Its a case of not giving up, not giving into the fear/nerves/lack of confidence. Just persevere. You will overcome it eventually! But the learning never stops! If you are prepared and mentally prepared and determined, pick up things quick and put in the practise gradually for it to stick and come to you naturally then you be ready to start learning to drive.

Its imperative to know the rules of the road and to have practised the basics before getting out on the road! Then everything else will come together and fall into place! Best not to leave it too late, I find the older I get the harder it is but with the more experience I am gaining and practise I am improving and I am currently at my best with my lessons at the moment!

I'm sick of public transport and having to plan ahead my journeys and having to organise a lift if I need to. Such a pain. Its not easy to go through life without a car but I guess there are some people just can't drive or just never learn or wait till they are older, wiser and ready!? If you live in the cities you are grand but in towns/suburbs/countryside well you need a car really! Even if its to just go from A to B or even to get public transport even if you aren't one for long journeys.

Its a life skill and is very important even to work it can be a necessity!? Some jobs require you have a full licence!

Driving is cool! Keep at it though for anyone who is at odds/lost or frustrated or feels like giving up keep at it you will get there! Go at your own pace and don't let others rush you with it you will learn in your own time no matter how long it takes what about it! Its not something you can rush to learn. Its all about using your brain and feet!!

Hopefully in the next few months I be well on my way of doing a driving test!
    Good luck to anyone else who are starting out or current learner drivers! We all were once learner drivers which full license holders seem to forget the trials and tribulations of learning to drive! Don't be so hard on us learners please!

We all share the road so courtesy goes a long way!

With further ado my fellow boardsie learner drivers may we all some day pass the driving test and hold the pink ticket of freedom!:cool:

I know a couple of people who can't drive and some be way older than me. I learnt at 23 I am now 26 but wished I learnt a little younger but I wasn't really interested in driving before then and was so caught up with college, working, living away from home whilst living in cities and having the public transport get me from A to B didn't bother me not driving but now that I am living at home and I live out in the country I need to be able to drive, I get sick of not being able to go places when I want and where I want without having to get a lift or public transport. It's worth it in the end being able to drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I can drive, but I prefer public transportation. It means I'm less lazy. Just now learning to cook, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Been driving since I was 18 - I have no choice.

I live 20km from the closest town, I drive 40km every day for my work. If I lived in a city or large town I would just get a bicycle and use public transport.

I love rural life and will probably live in the sticks till the day I die, I've never lived anywhere else. I know people who dont/cant drive, male and female but they all live in towns and cities.

Cars are expensive, Im paying €400 per month to the Credit Union for mine, add almost €400 per annum for road tax, about the same for motor insurance, the price of petrol :eek:, servicing, tyres, NCT - all adds up to a colossal amount of money.

But could I live without my car? NO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Whenever I see people on buses now I think "poor sods". It's not to be snobby or anything, I just think it's a slightly degrading way to travel. For some reason, I don't get that feeling at all on a train. A train can be a classy way of travelling... you have a table at least, a good view.

I agree about trains being classier. I'd go everywhere long distance by train if I could rather than bus. Train travel is more romantic; but the bus is usually cheaper so the bus wins out. And I think the Expressway coaches are fine and comfortable.
    I don't think buses are 'degrading' though, that's just social conditioning-go to some other countries in Europe-e.g. Germany, the Nordic countries and you see people from all classes and walks of life traveling on buses, much less prejudice against them there.

Though the bus services are more developed in those countries so maybe that engenders more positive feelings about using them...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

couldnt be without my car, people who don't/won't drive will never know what its like to wake up on a sunday morning, go anywhere you want on your time and wind up in another county or city in a couple of hours, windows down on a sunny day, radio blaring, its a great feeling that sometimes through the daily grind of traffic we forget what its like to just go for a drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

I live in DCC and I work 20 mins walk away.

I have no need for a car. The theory that life isn't possible without one died with the Celtic Tiger.

• Buses make me feel depressed. It's hard to explain and you don't really notice it at the time, but there is some kind of fundamental invasion of your privacy and independance, especially privacy. Only when you can drive in a car where you want, when you want do you fully notice this horrible bus feeling. I swear for some reason waiting for a bus is one of the most depressing things I have ever done in life, I hate it and I can't even pinpoint why.

You must have had a very, very easy life then. :confused:
    Whenever I see people on buses now I think "poor sods". It's not to be snobby or anything, I just think it's a slightly degrading way to travel. For some reason, I don't get that feeling at all on a train. A train can be a classy way of travelling... you have a table at least, a good view.

A bus is degrading? You sound like an American. I take buses and trains all the time and the only thing I hate is the overcrowding at peak times, but it still beats sitting in traffic for hours and looking for a parking space. I've lived in big cities since I was 18 and have never felt the need for a car, except the odd time to go away for the weekend and you can just rent one then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Got my license at 30, never really needed a car until then.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

just doing lessens at minute at 25

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Never bothered to learn, because I've lived in Dublin city centre most of my life and most places I need to get to are within walking or bus distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Grew up in rural Ireland so I was on the road from about 12. Tractors first, strangely enough.

I think most of the people who can't understand the need for a car have probably never tried to get from one small Irish village to the next small Irish village using public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I think anyone over the age of 25 is odd and lazy. To me its like learning to read, ride a bike, swim....all things you do as you grow up.

Not everyone needs a car or wants one but I think you should learn to drive as its a good skill to have and you never know when you might need it.

When I was a child one of my aunts said to me that driving was one of the greatest freedoms you could have and I still view it as such. I can get in my car and go where I want whenever I want. I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Witchie wrote: »
    I think anyone over the age of 25 is odd and lazy.
    In general like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 animalfarmgo

19 and don't drive. Haven't done the theory or anything. I have no interest in driving, none whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Witchie wrote: »
    I can get in my car and go where I want whenever I want. I love it.

As long as there is a road to it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

28 can't drive

driving isn't a neccesity at all, you can walk, taxi/bus, get a lift or just not go anywhere

easy peasy

also cheap and I can drink whenever I want

Ha Ha I can Only laugh.. All I can say is.. Once U drive, there is NO going back EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭crazypanda

I never had the money for a car so I never bothered to learn. Still dont have the money but had first attempt of driving over the summer and can't say I see the appeal now either considering the costs. I'd prefer a holiday to a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I couldn't drive for six weeks last year due to injury. I was really lucky to have friends to drive me to and from work, but even with their help, I was still paying lots in taxi fares. I was charged €5 to go 200 metres. It was awful having to plan each movement to reduce cost. I think that once insurance etc is out of the way, petrol costs although high are still much cheaper than taxi fares.

I know a woman who can only drive automatic cars. She passed her test in an automatic so isn't licenced to drive anything else. I think that is strange. Drive automatic if you want, but at least get a full licence first.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

35, never learnt, never even got a provisional. It hasn't been necessary for me at all and saves me a bunch of money. As for the freedom, I cycle pretty much anywhere I want to go.

I would have no problem learning if it was necessary for a job, but it hasn't been. Indeed I have worked in the motor industry for most of my working life.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Driving is necessary for my job,I can drive pretty much anything out there.

When I was younger I wasn't bothered so much by not driving-could have a pint and not worry about a car.Got to the stage that I had to drive and never looked back.
    Some people get to an age however where they think "ah sure I've survived this long without driving so what's the point learning".That's lazy imo.

Even if a person doesn't want to drive they should still learn how,just in case the need arises,even if it's just to move a vehicle a few yards or it's an emergency.

Driving is a must in rural areas-all the posts here about people who aren't bothered come from those living in cities,try moving to the sticks for a while without your own transport.

Cost really isn't an issue,running my car costs around the same as a short journey taxi fare per day plus I can go where I want when I want.I'm not restricted to bus routes or the cost of getting a taxi for a long journey.

If a lot of non drivers are really honest,they'll admit fear plays a part in it.Driving on a public road for the first time can be daunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Most people in Ireland live in cities and will never live in the countryside. No-one is having a go at people living in the sticks or doubting their need for a car. I lived there myself as a teenager, 7km walk/hitch to the bus stop, too young for a license, it drove me insane. No doubt I would drive if I was still living there. But I'm not and so don't need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

Thread was already done, OP, and was much better than this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70617649

Far better & well thought-out arguments for & against...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It depends on your circumstances. I'd not be able to get to work without my car. I've also had to deal with having a very ill close relative so I've done quite a bit of ferrying them to and from doctors/hospitals etc. in my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I'm 22, had a provisional but it ran up. I don't drive at all, mainly because I never had the money for insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

I passed my test when I was 26 and I couldn't do without a car now for the most part. I'd rather get public transport into the city centre than pay extortionate parking fees though.

I agree that learning to drive is an important life skill, even if you have no need for a car. My friend is too lazy to learn, yet he is happy for his wife to drive him everywhere. Means she's always the DD as well. That annoys me as they still have all the costs of running a car, yet she is expected to do all the driving. I know it annoys her too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

Don't drive, not an interest in it so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I know how to drive but haven't got a license. I don't live in Ireland anymore so can't see myself doing the test anytime soon.

I want to learn how to drive, if only so I could rent a car at weekends and go wherever I want to. I live in a place with an amazing public transport system so I wouldn't need it during the week. I'm definitely not buying a car anytime soon, the cost is ridiculous.

Advertisement