Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still adults out there who don't/can't drive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I learned at 34 when the wife got pregnant. Never needed to or wanted to before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

subscriber wrote: »
    Ha Ha I can Only laugh.. All I can say is.. Once U drive, there is NO going back EVER!
    I see folks say that but it's not true of everyone. I learned to drive but now have no interest in it. I like the feeling of driving but as I live in a city I can get wherever I want without a car so I don't feel it's a necessity.

There must be others who don't feel the itch to drive once they've learned.

Handy to know how to do it in case you ever have to get someone to a hospital fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Living in the sticks so a car is a necessity. Just worked out how much it costs per annum to run, i.e. fuel, tax, insurance, tyres and car loan and it comes to 7,500 :eek:. That's not including things that go wrong. I lost my keys a couple of weeks ago and I'm waiting for Volkswagen to issue a new one and it's costing me 230 euro to replace. I'd use public transport if it existed here but unfortunately it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I didn't need to drive til I was 27, and it was only because I had a job in an awkward place to get to...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Learned to drive when I was 18, 20 now, I seriously could not be without a car. Whenever I go anywhere without mine I get that panicked feeling that you get when you don't have your phone, I know I'm odd. Also whenever I use public transport and it is rarely all the other patrons always look miserable, like they want to strangle themselves with their headphones, so yeah I don't really find public transport that enticing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I started driving in my mid 20s, only because up until that point I had lived really close to Dublin city centre and then moved into the city centre itself.

Moving out to the Dun Laoire area was a bit of a shock to the system, I was beside the dart line, which was fine for working in Dublin but was shiite for my social life, you missed a nightlink bus and it was an expensive taxi because I had nobody to share it with.

Driving a car was such a liberation from being at the mercy of public transport, and it gives so much freedom to just head away on a day out to wherever you want.

I live in the country now, so couldn't do without the car, nearest town is about 3 miles away, it's doable but I'd rather drive than walk it, and there is no public transport option.

It helps for costs that my OH is in the motor trade, cheap(er) cars, trade insurance and servicing and repairs at cost:D

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Driving is relative to the person and place. The brothers missus would get a €2k increase in her wages if she had a license, but is just to lazy. Most of my friends (mid-twenties) don't have a license but say they will get one again and again. They want one but are content the way they are.

A car comes in handy for doing the shopping, going to games etc. I always think, what if you have to go somewhere in a hurry, like to hospital or to Dublin. Your bounded by the train/bus times.

Been driving 5 years now and couldn't do without the car as public transport is not great where I live. On my longer journey's (Ennis/Limerick - Dublin) it is way quicker to drive anyway. The train from Limerick to Dublin is €58 return and takes a good 3 hours, where its only 2.10 into Dublin city from Limerick and 2.40 from Ennis (I did this journey last week in said time) and approx €50 on petrol, lower if diesel. The train from Limerick to Ennis takes 45mins also and can be in UL in <30mins from Ennis in a car.

Again, it's relative to a person's needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

The strife my dad had with cars over the years seemed too much of a pain in the neck. People would randomly call "can you fix a lift to stillorgan to get beer, the airport, Laois to collect a bed" etc.
    He'd buy a van only to find the owner knew full well it needed lots of work as it failed the nct badly and was told it would be cheaper to buy a new car so it sold it as "good condition" the problem was, the problems with the clutch etc weren't obvious. Cost a fortune to fix.

The enormous garage charges even tough he does most of the maintenance himself, sometimes you need the garage.

The insurance and tax are a killer.

Then all the toll bridge fees, parking fees and trying to FIND parking.

This is before the diesel prices. He has to spend roughly 60 a week on just that.

I'd rather do without the hassle so when I learned to drive I thought 'ok, that's it'

I don't find public transport miserable. The only time I did was when I had to wait almost 2 hours in the snow - as it hit fast - on the other side of the city. But cars had as much trouble with the snow as the bus did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

I'm 17 and can't drive, can't envision myself doing it before I finish up college either, so it will be at least another four or five years. Can't afford it, plus don't really need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I can't drive and have no interest in driving unless I can afford something like a ferrari or a lambo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

I can drive I just don't need to drive. Live on the luas line so handy in and out of town. and even when I need to get a taxi it's not going to break the bank.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Two of my mates, one is 30 the other is 28 or so, neither of them even have a provisional license. One of them lives in Galway city and doesn' really care, plus his girlfriend drives. The other lives just outside Westport and either takes the bus everywhere, hitches or gets lifts with friends. I think it's only hard to get by without a car once you've actually owned one for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Surley wrote: »
    I can drive I just don't need to drive. Live on the luas line so handy in and out of town. and even when I need to get a taxi it's not going to break the bank.

Exact same as myself. Im able to drive, i just dont for a number of reasons; live on the LUAS line, walk everywhere else i need to and finally getting a full licence just seems like a massive pain in the hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Exact same as myself. Im able to drive, i just dont for a number of reasons; live on the LUAS line, walk everywhere else i need to and finally getting a full licence just seems like a massive pain in the hole.

I have a full license which I got when I was 17/18. Didn't want to end up in my thirties not knowing how to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Yep, I'm one of them, 23 and the most I've ever had was a provisional licence when I was 19 which I never renewed. Atm I've no need to be able to drive, would rather spend the money elsewhere, I would never expect to be chauffeured about like some people though. When I've more of a need for it and when I can afford it better I will get a full licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

[QUOTE=Witchie;73931007]I think anyone over the age of 25 is odd and lazy. To me its like learning to read, ride a bike, swim....all things you do as you grow up.[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you meant to qualify that statement with "if they can't drive" :D

I'm over 25 (well over), can't drive and am neither odd nor lazy TYVM. I cycle and walk everywhere I can so no-one can describe me as lazy.

I do however every day see fat ass lazy neighbours who drive themselves and their kids everywhere-like dropping them 2 miles to school instead of teaching them good habits like walking them there or cycling so that they don't grow up into unhealthy blubberballs like their parents!. I see people who are so lazy they drive 300 yards down the road to the local Aldi or Dunnes.
    These are the odd and lazy ones, not people like me who stay healthy, fit and slim by not driving everywhere.

Cars can be necessary if you live out in the sticks or have long distances to drive to work, or need a car for your job no question about it, but for those of us living in towns and cities with public transport, not really.

[QUOTE=Witchie;73931007]
    Not everyone needs a car or wants one but I think you should learn to drive as its a good skill to have and you never know when you might need it.[/QUOTE]

Personally I've managed fine without one so far as do lots of friends I know. Buses, trains and taxis serve me well for when I need to go somewhere long distance. Having a car would simply be an unnecessary drain on my finances. What's the point of paying for lessons if I can't see myself needing a car any time in the foreseeable future?
    I'm all for having life skills but not paying for ones I don't need!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Greentopia wrote: »
    I'm assuming you meant to qualify that statement with "if they can't drive" :D

I'm over 25 (well over), can't drive and am neither odd nor lazy TYVM. I cycle and walk everywhere I can so no-one can describe me as lazy.

I do however every day see fat ass lazy neighbours who drive themselves and their kids everywhere-like dropping them 2 miles to school instead of teaching them good habits like walking them there or cycling so that they don't grow up into unhealthy blubberballs like their parents!. I see people who are so lazy they drive 300 yards down the road to the local Aldi or Dunnes.
    These are the odd and lazy ones, not people like me who stay healthy, fit and slim by not driving everywhere.

Cars can be necessary if you live out in the sticks or have long distances to drive to work, or need a car for your job no question about it, but for those of us living in towns and cities with public transport, not really.

Personally I've managed fine without one so far as do lots of friends I know. Buses, trains and taxis serve me well for when I need to go somewhere long distance. Having a car would simply be an unnecessary drain on my finances. What's the point of paying for lessons if I can't see myself needing a car any time in the foreseeable future?
    I'm all for having life skills but not paying for ones I don't need!

There's different kinds of lazy though - in this case it can relate to someone being to lazy to take the time/effort/money to pick up a new skill, not being adverse to exercise.

Speaking as someone who didn't get his full license until 28, I think for most people it is a combination of laziness and fear if you don't express any interest into learning after a certain age (though there are exceptions). That was certainly the case for me anyway, at least I admitted it.

The thing is people who don't drive have no frame of reference for the feeling of independence and freedom it can give. Of course you would be perfectly happy taking a bus/train if you can't drive - unless you have a chauffeur you probably don't have much choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

21 and can't drive, just never got around to it and was never able to afford a car (always chose renting over driving to college, much cheaper considering the distance of my parents house!).

Now I live in Essen which has a rather reliable bus/tram service and rail links to other cities (there's even trains between midnight and six in the morning on the weekends, so I can go as far as Dusseldorf and have a night out and still get home cheaply!).

I think in the future when I'm a bit more settled here I'll start learning to drive. When I'm earning a decent amount I'll think about getting a car. Where I live now though I simply don't need it. If I moved back to Ireland or to the US I definitely would get a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Many posters seem to think that driving is a necessary life skill (and I don't disagree)...if that is indeed the case then the question must be asked as to why it isn't taught in the later years of secondary school...not even a theory test or a practical basic lesson. From the POV of road safety it makes loads of sense and since it seems that in rural areas at least it's a necessity, it might be the kick up the arse some people need to get them to at least start learning, even if they don't keep up the habit, when they leave school.
    There are many jobs that rely on having a licence, so it has to make sense to have students leaving school with basic driving knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

OneArt wrote: »
    21 and can't drive, just never got around to it and was never able to afford a car (always chose renting over driving to college, much cheaper considering the distance of my parents house!).

Now I live in Essen which has a rather reliable bus/tram service and rail links to other cities (there's even trains between midnight and six in the morning on the weekends, so I can go as far as Dusseldorf and have a night out and still get home cheaply!).

I think in the future when I'm a bit more settled here I'll start learning to drive. When I'm earning a decent amount I'll think about getting a car. Where I live now though I simply don't need it. If I moved back to Ireland or to the US I definitely would get a car.

Completely off topic but I lived in Essen for a while 15 years back. Is the Irish Times pub still there beneath Cinemaxx? Used to be a lovely kebab shop right beside it too. Same people own Fritzpatricks and An Crannog in Centro (Oberhausen).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Wertz wrote: »
    Many posters seem to think that driving is a necessary life skill (and I don't disagree)...if that is indeed the case then the question must be asked as to why it isn't taught in the later years of secondary school...not even a theory test or a practical basic lesson. From the POV of road safety it makes loads of sense and since it seems that in rural areas at least it's a necessity, it might be the kick up the arse some people need to get them to at least start learning, even if they don't keep up the habit, when they leave school.
    There are many jobs that rely on having a licence, so it has to make sense to have students leaving school with basic driving knowledge.

Totally agree, at least do the theory test in School. Irish schools don't seem to like things that are actually practical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

With our current LC system, we'd have kids who can barely move the car forwards being given passes in driving tests and going out to knock people over. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

the question must be asked as to why it isn't taught in the later years of secondary school...

Because that would be the state subsidizing the auto industry in a roundabout way.

Just leave it to the instructers I say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

got my provisional, could drive pretty well, moved to dublin and didn't bother doing the test. Was pointless. I don't need to drive atm anyway. Shouldn't be hard to pick up again if I need to, or indeed in the first place. Thanks Gran Turismo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

There are many drivers who can't drive.
    Sher there are people out there who have licences and didn't have to take a f*cking test.
    I drive regularly in Galway.
    Most of the clowns on the roads here get mystified by things like roadsigns and having more than one lane. I'm surprised they know which window to look out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Most of the clowns on the roads here get mystified by things like roadsigns and having more than one lane. I'm surprised they know which window to look out of.

Pretty bad here in Cork City too. Loads of absolute droolers whipping about in over a ton of metal and glass.

It's ****ing nuts when you give it a little thought. Probably best not to think about it or you'd never feel at ease out in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I love cars and bikes. Got my first bike when I was eight and could drive a car when I was ten. Couldn't imagine myself not driving - but that's just me. I know plenty of people who cannot and do not drive, fine - that's their own choice.

However, I believe that even if you live in a city centre and envisage never to have the need of a car you should learn to drive at an early age. No one knows how their circumstances will change over time and you could need a car. You may get offered the job of your dreams or meet the girl of your dreams from a remote area that public transport doesn't serve well or at all and all of a sudden you need a car to get to that job or see that girl.

Of course, if that happens you can always learn to drive then but like anything it's a harder thing to do the older you get. When you're younger and carefree these things are a whole lot easier to pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Because that would be the state subsidizing the auto industry in a roundabout way.

Like they never do that anyway...besides more motorists means more $$$ for the kitty if you want to look at it like that, plus the possible reduction in road collisions, deaths and injury could possibly mean a return rather than a cost.

Intructors are fine and all but not everyone can afford them especially at a young age and given the amount of lessons now stipulated before you can do your full test, it would at least give a stepping stone to everyone...perhaps not everyone has a parent or sibling that will each them the basics or even a car with which to get named driver insurance or whatever.

The system works fine in the US (seen it with my own eyes) and although bluewolf makes a good (if facetious) point about LC pass standards, the reality of a system if implemented here would be that it'd be under the RSA system (just like the DMV in the US, nothing to do with the school exams)...
    It makes sense but it won't happen because it's not how we do things here...we bitch and moan about road safety but won't even teach basic roadcraft when we have a captive (and probably eager) audience, preferring instead to preach and patronise young people about safe motoring...

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    No one knows how their circumstances will change over time and you could need a car.

Exactly.

It is a necessary life-skill that people should try and pick up as soon as possible.

I avoided it until a year after I finished college and at that stage I was definitely a late-starter compared to my friends and people I went to college with.

Saying that "I don't need it now, so why bother" is a bit short sighted tbh.

Get a friend to take you out starting maybe in an isolated car park(not a busy Tesco one!) and then onto some quiet country roads or around an estate once you've mastered that.

Just get the basics and it will become less daunting.

Using cost as an excuse is a bit of a cop out aswell.

You don't need to go the whole hog with instructors and The Test straight away, just do the theory and get a bit of practice in.

The sooner the better IMO.

99% of people will need it someday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

we bitch and moan about road safety but won't even teach basic roadcraft when we have a captive (and probably eager) audience, preferring instead to preach and patronise young people about safe motoring...

A good point well made Wertz.

Advertisement