Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still adults out there who don't/can't drive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've never driven a car. I can't really afford lessons atm and I don't really see the point in my learning to drive right now either. I live close to the centre of town and I have a bicycle and feet and I manage quite well with those.

At some point I'd like to learn to drive though, whenever I next have a full time job I'll probably get lessons. It would be handy to know, but I can't see myself buying a car any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

jpm4 wrote: »
    There's different kinds of lazy though - in this case it can relate to someone being to lazy to take the time/effort/money to pick up a new skill, not being adverse to exercise.

Ah, I see, I'm just a different kind of lazy :rolleyes:
    You should perhaps consider that there may, as in my case, perfectly legitimate reasons why I don't want to drive. And an aversion to learning new skills certainly doesn't apply to me as I like learning new things, as I'm a big believer in autonomy and self-reliance. But only ones I feel I will have a use for, otherwise why waste the time effort and money on something that can be put to better use elsewhere?
    Speaking as someone who didn't get his full license until 28, I think for most people it is a combination of laziness and fear if you don't express any interest into learning after a certain age (though there are exceptions). That was certainly the case for me anyway, at least I admitted it.

As I've said, I like learning new skills and don't see age as being a barrier to that. I'm not in some sort of self-denial about being fearful of driving, if I want to learn to drive I will do so and unlike some inept idiots I see on the road every day who I can't believe have ever passed a test (e.g. I walk or cycle through a roundabout every day and pitifully few Irish drivers seem to know the rules of how to drive through one and who has the right of way), I'll take the time to learn properly so that I'm not a menace to others on the roads.
    The thing is people who don't drive have no frame of reference for the feeling of independence and freedom it can give. Of course you would be perfectly happy taking a bus/train if you can't drive - unless you have a chauffeur you probably don't have much choice!

No chauffeur, no :) I see your point but I sometimes ride passenger with a friend of mine who drives (not chauffeuring me around before you say it! sometimes I head off with him to Dublin or down to Waterford if he's going there himself anyway) and any feeling of independence he has by having a car seems to be more than offset by the costs and labour involved in owning and running the thing, if what he tells me is anything to go by.

Where's the freedom in having to work harder to pay for tax, insurance, maintenance, NCT, petrol etc. when I can simply work less and have more free time to do whatever I want, or put all that money to better use elsewhere and not have to worry about paying for a car I don't need?
    Not being reliant on a car to me gives me more independence and freedom and if the day comes when I do actually need one I won't do so willingly.

And BTW I *gasp* actually like taking the train or bus (most of the time anyway, unless I have to stand in the rain waiting for a bus), but then car ownership is not problem free either-breakdowns, traffic, cost etc.
    I don't see public transport as an inferior form of transport to the car. It suits my needs fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have a few friends who have never bothered to learn how to drive. Which is all well and good, but they are always the first to make sure they're catered for in any kind of car pooling/bunch of us going somewhere together arrangement. They are literally standing there asking who'll be driving them. Which can get on your nerves after a while.

Another friend of mine had to get his brother to drive his wife to hospital to give birth a few months back (the brother had to move in with them for the last 2 weeks of her pregnancy). And they live in the absolute sticks and once she'd had a C section (and was off the road for 2 months or whatever it has to be) they probably would have starved if it wasn't for friends/family. There isn't a shop for miles. Her mum brought her to all the aftercare hospital checks etc. I just found it very irresponsible - they'd been trying to get pregnant for years, surely at some stage it should have occured to him that it would be handy if he could drive the car if there was some sort of an emergency?

I'm very independent and I just don't understand how other people are happy to let everyone else take care of them I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Wertz wrote: »
    There are many jobs that rely on having a licence, so it has to make sense to have students leaving school with basic driving knowledge.

Surely there are many more practical things we could be teachings school kids. Sure some jobs rely on being able to drive but a lot of jobs also rely on knowing about things like HTML, web design or practical things such as welding, solding, brazing, wiring, or things like cooking and sewing and the like or wood working or an in-depth knowledge of a foreign language(s) (we don't teach them properly in this country), or a even a proper command of the Irish language (someone has to write ros-na-run), drama, public speaking, management and leadership techniques etc etc all of which are already sadly neglected if not completely absent from our secondary schools.

I don't think we should be prioritisng teaching kids how to drive in schools since it's something you can do pretty easily outside of school and as a tax-payer I don't fancy paying for state subsidsed driving-instructors with school contracts.

There's also the fact that we're at or at least very near peak oil, living in an increasingly urbanised society and quite possibly teetering at the end of the private-automobile age.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Greentopia wrote: »
    Ah, I see, I'm just a different kind of lazy :rolleyes:
    You should perhaps consider that there may, as in my case, perfectly legitimate reasons why I don't want to drive.

Fair enough, I notice you didn't list any though.
    any feeling of independence he has by having a car seems to be more than offset by the costs and labour involved in owning and running the thing, if what he tells me is anything to go by.

Where's the freedom in having to work harder to pay for tax, insurance, maintenance, NCT, petrol etc. when I can simply work less and have more free time to do whatever I want, or put all that money to better use elsewhere and not have to worry about paying for a car I don't need?
    Not being reliant on a car to me gives me more independence and freedom and if the day comes when I do actually need one I won't do so willingly.

Jesus, you make a car sound like a cross to bear or something! I have a boring but reliable Toyota so a service every year or 2, check the oil and tyres now and then and that's it. Cleaning your house is probably more hassle. Sure it costs money but hardly a fortune. You make it sound like a 2nd mortgage or something.

And BTW I *gasp* actually like taking the train or bus (most of the time anyway, unless I have to stand in the rain waiting for a bus), but then car ownership is not problem free either-breakdowns, traffic, cost etc.
    I don't see public transport as an inferior form of transport to the car. It suits my needs fine.

I like the train too! But not the 75 odd euro it costs me to get from Dublin to Cork, plus cost of getting to and from the train.

But anyways, the main point is there is a difference between knowing how to drive and owning a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Actually, for the vast majority of people, owning and running a car is probably second to their mortgage or rent in how costly it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I don't have a licence and can't drive. I haven't bothered because I've never needed to. I live close to good public transport, I cycle the 12k commute about three or four times a week, and I honestly don't really know what I'd need to have a car for. I'll probably learn in the next couple of years, but it's certainly not odd for someone not to be able to drive as an adult. Owning a car in Ireland - Dublin in particular - is far from a necessity; you can get to more or less anything you need without one.

Actually, for the vast majority of people, owning and running a car is probably second to their mortgage or rent in how costly it is

That might well be true, but the cost of a car is far more variable than a typical mortgage. A car can cost anything from a few 100 euro to ridiculous money, tax is emission dependent, insurance varies a lot.

Point is that you do not have to be spending anywhere near say 1000 euro a month or whatever to service the cost of a car. If you are that is your choice. It can be done cheaply.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

had absolutely no motivation to learn for years 'cause was working in town and on a good bus route so didn't see the point of spending money i didn't have on it. i'm now in my late 20's and trying desperately to pass test but still find it very nerve wracking. the majority of my mates still wouldn't be able to drive or have ever sat the theory test. if they are learning, it's only because Important Life Stuff like jobs which require travelling and babies are entering the frame. it's kind of mad how apathetic we've all been towards the whole thing. the older i get, the more i realise how utterly frustrating it is to not have the independence of a car and get pissed off with myself for not being able to get certain places without finding a lift.

the few mates who do drive tend not to be pestered into acting as chauffeurs unless someone's moving house or something, which is good, at least. unfortunately i can't say the same for my poor mum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Ouchette

I'm 30 and I don't drive. I've got a motorbike - what would I be wanting a car for? Wouldn't even be able to drive the thing into work because I'd have to find somewhere to park it. Useless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Ouchette wrote: »
    I'm 30 and I don't drive. I've got a motorbike - what would I be wanting a car for? Wouldn't even be able to drive the thing into work because I'd have to find somewhere to park it. Useless!

Driving a motorbike is different to not driving at all, though. The motorbike gives you the same freedom as a car would - that you can get yourself anywhere you want without having to rely on a lift/taxi/public transport/a really long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭flas

23, dont drive, i can but just dont bother, dont see the point really, always either lived in a town or a city where i could either just walk or get bus/train where i need to go, and it works out more cost effective when factor in insurence, petrol, parking! if i lived in the countryside i would have been on the road since i was 17...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

24,can't drive,live close to bus/luas and couldn't afford to run a car anyways so never bothered learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Completely off topic but I lived in Essen for a while 15 years back. Is the Irish Times pub still there beneath Cinemaxx? Used to be a lovely kebab shop right beside it too.
    What's with all the expats in Essen!

Yes it's still there, but I don't think it's called The Irish Times... just the Irish bar. Great place to sit out with mates and pints while keeping track of the hurling on a Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Driving is not a necessary life skill if you live in an urban area. It's a choice. A bike gives you a similar level of freedom without the attendent costs and hassles. Personally I have other things I'd prefer to spend my time and money on.

Fair enough, I notice you didn't list any though.

Because I've mentioned them already-I don't need a car. Not now or in the past.
    I've lived all my life in towns and cities that have in varying degrees excellent public transport-Sweden, and adequate mostly-Ireland. I cycle and walk everywhere I don't go by bus.

Plus walking and cycling keep me fit and healthy. I don't want to become car dependent if I can at all help it. And as I said there's the cost.
    I'm sure these reasons hold true for many people who don't want a car, not just me.

Jesus, you make a car sound like a cross to bear or something! I have a boring but reliable Toyota so a service every year or 2, check the oil and tyres now and then and that's it. Cleaning your house is probably more hassle. Sure it costs money but hardly a fortune. You make it sound like a 2nd mortgage or something.

It would be a financial burden on me as I'm sure it is to many people. Even if I had a good reliable car like yours it would still cost me too much to run. And hearing from my car owning friends the enormous sums they pay in tax, insurance, petrol and so on makes very me glad I don't need one. Between everything it'd probably cost me at least half a months house rent every month to have one on the road.
    No thanks.
    I like the train too! But not the 75 odd euro it costs me to get from Dublin to Cork, plus cost of getting to and from the train.

But anyways, the main point is there is a difference between knowing how to drive and owning a car.

Yes, train travel is way to expensive here and in the U.K. I agree. That's why I mainly get the bus. Though Irish Rail have some offers like Arklow to Dublin return for €10 for ages there that I used so that was cheaper than the bus...

And you can get things done on the bus or train like work that you can't do while driving a car so you can save time in that way; and you arrive at your destination calm and relaxed, not stressed and anxious because you've been in a traffic jam for ages or because that bastard has cut you up in the outside lane of the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

You know that learning to drive does not automatically make u dependant on a car!!! I've got a car but I don't rely on it - I still luas to work and cycle the odd day too. My car gives me another level of freedom for my evenings and weekends, saves me so much time when going places, visiting friends and family ... its all about making the most out of my precious free time rather wasting it at busstops. I also really enjoy driving, so my car is a source of enjoyment in itself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Get yourself a horse, you don't need a car

Jaysus, I'd love it if we went back to the days of using horses to get around. Travelling would be so much more fun. And it'd be just as much of a blast getting to your holidays as the holiday would be. 'twould be good for the economy as well. We have no indigenous auto industry but plenty of horse breeding going on. The rain would be tough, but you'd get over that. Drunk driving wouldn't be a problem either because you could teach the horse the way home and he'd find you back after a few scoops. Although people might be more inclined to joy ride through nice gardens.

And moseying would make a come back. People would tie up their horses on the South Mall and mosey on along to Patrick St.

Great days, bring back horse based transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Do you need a theory test, mandatory lessons, a licence, tax, a 500 euro insurance policy and an NCT to clean your gaff?

Cars and all the poxy bureaucracy around them are a pain in the hole, espeicially for those of us who move from country to country.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

27, can't drive, don't need to because I live and work in Dublin city centre. I'll learn at some stage, but I'm in no great rush.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Can't drive, don't want t, not planning on it anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Alot of people from Dublin are a bit deluded.

Dublin is the only place in Ireland that has some sort of public transport. Everywhere else it's a joke.

I work in hotel which is 8 miles outside of town, from where i live. There is no public transport to get me there. Taxi 2x times per day will cost me a fortune.

Even better: I have to be at work for 6:00 in the morning, but from next week from 5:00 as it's very busy.

My car is not luxury, but a must have item!

A few fellas at work have no driving licenses, which is stupid. In small towns car is a must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Been driving since I was 19, now almost 22, I'm from the sticks so couldnt get by without a car. Living in Dublin now so its not needed as much but still really handy for getting home and driving places that aren't accessible by Public Transport. Couldnt live without my car.

Alot of people from Dublin are a bit deluded.

Dublin is the only place in Ireland that has some sort of public transport. Everywhere else it's a joke.

I work in hotel which is 8 miles outside of town, from where i live. There is no public transport to get me there. Taxi 2x times per day will cost me a fortune.

Even better: I have to be at work for 6:00 in the morning, but from next week from 5:00 as it's very busy.

My car is not luxury, but a must have item!

A few fellas at work have no driving licenses, which is stupid. In small towns car is a must.

How about cycling to work? 8 miles to work and then home is easily doable on a bike. You'd save yourself loads of money and stay fit at the same time :)

Or if not an bicycle get yourself an electric bicycle or a scooter or motorbike. Much cheaper to run than a car.

CiaranC wrote: »
    Do you need a theory test, mandatory lessons, a licence, tax, a 500 euro insurance policy and an NCT to clean your gaff?

Cars and all the poxy bureaucracy around them are a pain in the hole, espeicially for those of us who move from country to country.

Obviously I was talking about the maintenance of a car, not the bureaucracy around one. Are you actually suggesting we shouldn't have all the above by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

How about cycling to work? 8 miles to work and then home is easily doable on a bike. You'd save yourself loads of money and stay fit at the same time :)

Or if not an bicycle get yourself an electric bicycle or a scooter or motorbike. Much cheaper to run than a car.
    At six in the morning during winter I wouldn't fancy an eight mile cycle.

It's on my to-do list.

When I needed one I couldn't afford it (lessons, insurance etc.)

Now that I can afford it I don't need it (I live close to work, shops etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

funny-dog-pictures-not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I work in hotel which is 8 miles outside of town, from where i live. There is no public transport to get me there. Taxi 2x times per day will cost me a fortune. [...]My car is not luxury, but a must have item!
    Easily cycleable if you didn't want to go down the car-owning route. Obviously much easier to drive but not impossible to do without a car in that situation. Just saying.
    What are these guys doing?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    It's do-able though.

• Advertisement

AgileMyth wrote: »

Wimp :D seriously though millions of people in other colder countries cycle to work every day in the winter through freezing temperatures, snow and ice-Denmark, Germany for example. We have it very mild here in comparison (last winters snow being the exception). And a bit of rain is easy to deal with-just stick on a rain mac.

For exceptionally bad weather he could still get the taxi to work. People make a big deal about rain here and use it as an excuse not to cycle more to work but it actually rains a lot fewer days in this country than people realise.
    From Met Eireann website:

"The general impression is that it rains quite a lot of the time in Ireland but in fact two out of three hourly observations will not report any measurable rainfall."

and:

"Unlike the rain in many other countries, especially in the tropics, average hourly rainfall amounts in Ireland are quite low, ranging from 1 to 2mm. Short-term rates can of course be much higher: for example, an hourly total of 10mm is not uncommon and totals of 15 to 20mm in an hour may be expected to occur once in 5 years. Hourly totals exceeding 25mm are rare in this country and when they do occur they are usually associated with heavy thunderstorms."

Heavy wind can be more of a problem on a bike (but unless it's a storm it's still doable) I find but then it depends also where you live in the country too...

Advertisement