Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still adults out there who don't/can't drive?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Greentopia wrote: »
    Wimp :D seriously though millions of people in other colder countries cycle to work every day in the winter through freezing temperatures, snow and ice-Denmark, Germany for example. We have it very mild here in comparison (last winters snow being the exception). And a bit of rain is easy to deal with-just stick on a rain mac.
    I use my motorbike year round. Its got a useful set of lights though. I wouldn't want to be out on country roads in the dark on a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

funny-dog-pictures-not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

:rolleyes: So you consider 8 miles cycling to work too onerous on you do you?
    What's the matter, too fat or too lazy to get on a bike?

AgileMyth wrote: »
    I use my motorbike year round. Its got a useful set of lights though. I wouldn't want to be out on country roads in the dark on a bicycle.

Ah well I did suggest a motorbike to ShadowHearth but he ignored it and accused me of either being stupid or a troll for daring to suggest a mode of transport other than a car :rolleyes:

You can get powerful LED and HED (expensive but very bright) bicycle lights now for country roads, it's not like years ago where they gave off the light of a candle. You just have to spend a bit of money to get a good one.
    You could also wear a head torch for extra visibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I can drive - although others might have a difference opinion:p

I came to it late, but i'm glad i did. It's good not to have to rely on train timetables if I want to go somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

25 and learning at the moment.

Need to get a licence purely for work purposes otherwise I wouldn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

Only learned aged 24. Wouldn't have been able to afford to learn any earlier as I was in college and was poor. Plus, I had to commute for work wasting 4 hours a day on the bus so that spurred me on.
    As a teenager I do recall a number of my friends mother's were learning so they must have been in their 40s at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

The arguments of "need", "availability of options", or "cost" don't even come into consideration for me.

I was working in London for 2 months and by the end I positively had withdrawls from not driving - I even started having dreams about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

32 and just not interested or bothered with driving. I live in Dublin, public transport is good and it's hard for me to justify the big expense. Paying for a written test, provisional licence, a car, tax, insurance, fuel, NCT, etc just doesn't seem worth it to me. I don't need a car. There's better things I could be spending €6,000 to €8,000 (a conservative estimate)

Having said that, I'm coming under increased pressure from my girlfriend to drive, so I'll probably end up caving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

I know a few women who never learned and just let their husbands drive them everywhere. Seems to be handed on in families too. None of their mothers learned to drive either.

32 and just not interested or bothered with driving. I live in Dublin, public transport is good and it's hard for me to justify the big expense. Paying for a written test, provisional licence, a car, tax, insurance, fuel, NCT, etc just doesn't seem worth it to me. I don't need a car. There's better things I could be spending €6,000 to €8,000 (a conservative estimate)

...and parking fees, toll road charges, repairs...
    Having said that, I'm coming under increased pressure from my girlfriend to drive, so I'll probably end up caving.

Why does she want you to get a car? does she have one of her own? if not does she want you to chauffeur her around? bollox to that I say.
    Let her pay the 6-8 grand if she wants you to get a car!

Why spend a ton of money on something you say you don't need just to please someone else? makes no sense.
    Have some backbone and stand your ground man :p
    Oh and I say this as a woman btw ;)

Now if you needed one for work that's different...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It's important to me that my boyfriend can drive. And drive well. I find it off-putting in terms of personal attraction if a man isn't a good driver. Weird, huh? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Pretty sure I posted in the other thread mentioned. I learned to drive 3yrs ago at 35, and I'm very glad I did. My partner drives, but wouldn't always be around for lifts due to working shift. I have a great bus service to get into town, but have a child who has a lot of hospital appointments. Going to these meant 2 buses, no fun on a wet day. Also, my Dad was very ill last summer. My mother doesn't drive, so I was there to bring him to hospital a couple of times when he had a bad turn. It also meant I could visit him no hassle every day, and help my mother out with lifts to and from the hospital, and to get shopping in. It's also great for getting the weekly shopping. I'd sometimes wait for hours for it to be delivered, and have to carry home the frozen stuff anyway. I would say it was definitely circumstances that encouraged me to learn. It took a long time to become totally comfortable behind the wheel. There are times when I need to drive, and times where I'll walk. I actually prefer to walk somewhere providing the weather is OK, and I've not much to carry. Some days I'll leave the car behind, and get the bus to town. There is no way in hell I'll drive the kids to school, unless it's lashing rain. My mother now is struggling to learn how to drive, since Dad passed away. I don't know will she ever make a driver, so far it's not going well. I find the days I visit her are taken up with driving her to where she needs to go. I'm glad that in later years I won't be dependant that way on my kids. My eldest got her full liscence before turning 18, I'm delighted she has the independence of being able to drive. For me the biggest thing about being able to drive is to have the choice to decide whether I need to drive or not on a given day, and the freedom to do so if I need to.

Malari wrote: »
    It's important to me that my boyfriend can drive. And drive well. I find it off-putting in terms of personal attraction if a man isn't a good driver. Weird, huh? :D

Yes.
    If it's just driving skills that impress you then it follows that if the guy drove a piece of **** beat up wreck very well you'd still find him attractive yeah?

Yes.
    If it's just driving skills that impress you then it follows that if the guy drove a piece of **** beat up wreck very well you'd still find him attractive yeah?

Yes, I would. It's the skill I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its my opinion that its very shortsighted to say you dont need to drive. Sure, you may live beside the Luas now and are able to scoot in and out to town, but what happens in Twenty years when/if you are married with kids?

"Dad, can you leave me to football?"
    "Sorry son, I am a bit useless and can't even drive."
    "Oh"

We are a country whose infrastructure is still very motor dependant, and frankly I tend to have a little less respect for those who cannot drive. Its one thing not having a car, but not even having a license? Jeez, its not like its hard to get.

Yes, I would. It's the skill I'm talking about.

Cool. Glad you're not one of those shallow vacuous women who are easily impressed by status symbols like their BF's flash cars and find a guy attractive just because he drives one. ;)

Cool. Glad you're not one of those shallow vacuous women who are easily impressed by status symbols like their BF's flash cars and find a guy attractive just because he drives one. ;)

Nope, I'm a deep, intelligent woman who is not easily impressed with flash cars :p I just like a man who knows how to drive at least as well as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

"Oh"

The dad's self-loathing is a bigger issue.

Also "'leave' me to the football"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

Why does she want you to get a car?

Maybe she would fancy a country weekend or if she would be pregnant she would like to know somebody will take her to hospital? :rolleyes:

I went through the same argument with my boyfriend and in the end I've learned to drive myself (I am 30)

I know I maybe shouldn't expect from somebody something I didnt want to do myself, but to be honest I wouldn;t like to go through this stress of learning again and It would be much easy if he would have a license.

As much as I am after equal rights for both man and woman I think some skills suit man more ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Its my opinion that its very shortsighted to say you dont need to drive. Sure, you may live beside the Luas now and are able to scoot in and out to town, but what happens in Twenty years when/if you are married with kids?

"Oh"

We are a country whose infrastructure is still very motor dependant, and frankly I tend to have a little less respect for those who cannot drive. Its one thing not having a car, but not even having a license? Jeez, its not like its hard to get.

What is it exactly that makes you assume that not needing to drive now would translate into never learning to drive?

• Advertisement

I am not the one either and I value other things in man more then driving skill, but it's something basic and makes life easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What is it exactly that makes you assume that not needing to drive now would translate into never learning to drive?

Its why I used the word shortsighted, too many people here state that they don't need a car at the minute so havent bothered learning. Well, then now is the best time to learn.

"Sure son, just give me a few weeks while I do my driving test will ya."
    "What?"

You may not need a license right now, but you should still have one right now, because you don't know when you will need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

"Oh"

How do you get one without a car, especially in this country?

The main reason I don't drive is because I simply don't have the money to waste on either buying a car, or paying an instructor.

inkwell wrote: »
    Maybe she would fancy a country weekend or if she would be pregnant she would like to know somebody will take her to hospital? :rolleyes:

We don't know if she can drive or not though and he's in Dublin so getting to a hospital wouldn't be a problem.
    As much as I am after equal rights for both man and woman I think some skills suit man more ..

Seriously?? What makes a man any more suited to learning to drive than a woman? :confused:
    It's not like part of the driving test involves any test of strength for example.

There are female professional drivers and driving instructors you know!

Of course there are some jobs better suited to men-usually ones that call for physical strength, but that's got nothing to do with driving a car.
    What you're saying makes no sense.

I am not the one either and I value other things in man more then driving skill, but it's something basic and makes life easier.

I don't think it's something basic. If a car was a necessary life skill for me I would have learned it by now. But it's not.
    It is necessary for many people to know how to drive, I understand that but it's not for everyone. Not by a long way.

Shenshen wrote: »
    How do you get one without a car, especially in this country?

The main reason I don't drive is because I simply don't have the money to waste on either buying a car, or paying an instructor.

You can borrow a car to take the test, as long as you are insured on it. I passed my test and it was 10 years later before I owned a car. I lived in cities and abroad and rarely needed one, but it was handy for college courses and field-trips, etc where I needed to borrow or rent a car.

I just saw driving as a qualification I wanted. Like learning a language or whatever. It's not for everyone, but it is usually useful.

We don't know if she can drive or not though and he's in Dublin so getting to a hospital wouldn't be a problem.

Seriously?? What makes a man any more suited to learning to drive than a woman? :confused:
    It's not like part of the driving test involves any test of strength for example.

There are female professional drivers and driving instructors you know!

Of course there are some jobs better suited to men-usually ones that call for physical strength, but that's got nothing to do with driving a car.
    What you're saying makes no sense.

I am just talkig from my own experience - It was something I missed in my partner and thats is. I wish I wouldnt have to go through this.

I don't think it's something basic. If a car was a necessary life skill for me I would have learned it by now. But it's not.
    It is necessary for many people to know how to drive, I understand that but it's not for everyone. Not by a long way.

Reasons why I wanted and at last have a car :

-I've losted few job offers (couldnt get there without car)
    -I love to go around and see places ( nightmare to travel in Ireland without car -there are places around Galway were no buses go to)
    -I was sick of carrying bags of shopping and I felt like an idiot
    -I couldnt take my dog to the vet (no dogs allowed on bus i Ireland :mad: and taxi drivers dont like it)
    -almost got killed twice when cyclig

I could find more reasons...
    -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Its why I used the word shortsighted, too many people here state that they don't need a car at the minute so havent bothered learning. Well, then now is the best time to learn.

"Sure son, just give me a few weeks while I do my driving test will ya."
    "What?"

You may not need a license right now, but you should still have one right now, because you don't know when you will need it.

What makes you think now is the best time to learn? It's a hell of a presumption.
    And while we're on the subject of things that make little sense, why are you trying to make people give a fuck about the needs of some not as of yet conceived child?
    Are we supposed to be shamed by this imagined scenario? Are you under the impression that guilt of not being able to ferry this imagined sprog to football would be a catalyst for gaining a skill that is not needed and the obscene expense that comes with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

You can borrow a car to take the test, as long as you are insured on it. I passed my test and it was 10 years later before I owned a car. I lived in cities and abroad and rarely needed one, but it was handy for college courses and field-trips, etc where I needed to borrow or rent a car.

I just saw driving as a qualification I wanted. Like learning a language or whatever. It's not for everyone, but it is usually useful.

That would mean you know someone well enough that they would lend you their car for as long as it takes you to learn how to drive.
    If that was the case with you, congratulations.
    Until recently, I didn't have anybody close who owned a car. Nobody in my family does, and the few friends who do aren't that close to lend cars...

Advertisement