Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still adults out there who don't/can't drive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

What makes you think now is the best time to learn? It's a hell of a presumption.
    And while we're on the subject of things that make little sense, why are you trying to make people give a fuck about the needs of some not as of yet conceived child?
    Are we supposed to be shamed by this imagined scenario? Are you under the impression that guilt of not being able to ferry this imagined sprog to football would be a catalyst for gaining a skill that is not needed and the obscene expense that comes with it?

Because the older you get the harder it is to learn anything *in general*. Very young kids can pick up languages easily while a 40 year old will find it more difficult - same goes for driving in most cases. Neighbour of mine is just shy of 40, lives in an area on the outskirts of Dublin where public transport isn't great. Have one kid and another on the way. She drives, he doesn't but is trying to learn as it's just not practical for him not to drive anymore. Has spend a huge amount on lessons and is finding it very difficult. That's just one of many examples I know of in my own circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What makes you think now is the best time to learn? It's a hell of a presumption.
    And while we're on the subject of things that make little sense, why are you trying to make people give a fuck about the needs of some not as of yet conceived child?
    Are we supposed to be shamed by this imagined scenario? Are you under the impression that guilt of not being able to ferry this imagined sprog to football would be a catalyst for gaining a skill that is not needed and the obscene expense that comes with it?

Why is now the best time? What a silly question! How do you know whats around the corner, something requiring a license could happen you at any moment, so its best to do it now. QED.

As for the rest of it, you sound very defensive on the issue. Thats ok, let it all out.

Can I give you a lift anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hanleyc2

Worse thing about not being able to drive is having to get other forms of transport especially buses!

Worse thing about driving is the cost. Petrol, road tax, tolls etc.

Driving since I was 26, its much more convenient to have the option to drive, not only in Ireland but also is a great option when you go abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Shenshen wrote: »
    That would mean you know someone well enough that they would lend you their car for as long as it takes you to learn how to drive.
    If that was the case with you, congratulations.
    Until recently, I didn't have anybody close who owned a car. Nobody in my family does, and the few friends who do aren't that close to lend cars...

No, just for the test, I meant. Yeah, I had my parents' car. I guess most people would have a family member with a car, I think that was the way everyone I know learned to drive. But my point was that you don't actually need to own a car to pass a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I know a lot of people in their 20s who dont drive and keep saying they dont need a car and will never need one ,

those are also the same people that call me and the others with cars whenever they need to get somewhere not on a bus route , Ive taken to laughing at them and refuse to give lifts as they always tend to be the lazy ones who feel society owes them something and getting a job or throwing you a few quid for petrol is blasphemy to them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Aishae

Why is now the best time? What a silly question! How do you know whats around the corner, something requiring a license could happen you at any moment, so its best to do it now. QED.

As for the rest of it, you should very defensive on the issue. Thats ok, let it all out.

Can I give you a lift anywhere?

and i find people on the other side of the arguement can be just as defensive
    -plenty wont accept that for some folks - driving is not a necessity and/or they dont desire to. families managed fine before cars were commonplace!

i can drive but i dont do it - im never moving out of the city for many reasons and if i do, its to another city. not everyone intends to have kids either. why is it so hard for people to wrap their heads around the idea that there are folks that know what they want? if their circumstances changed in the future they can learn to drive if they want. its harder for older folks maybe but not anywhere near impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I don't drive, never owned a car. I've always been moving around and public transport has always been fantastic everywhere I've lived.

About 10 years ago I decided it might be a good idea to learn to drive, so I joined a local driving school, did my theory, practical and medicals and passed the test 6 weeks after. I had planned on getting a car at the time, but 2 weeks later I was on the move again so that was the end of that idea. The next time I would drive a car was 3 or 4 years later when I was in Australia and I haven't driven a car since then.

a driving licence (and car) is also a great help in gaining employment as in an emergency or if something needed to be done at an odd hour they dont have to work you around a bus schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭McCrack

I think there is something retarded that a person is unable to drive a car by the age of 30. Unless a person has a medical reason stopping them driving or cannot afford a car there is no excuse.

It's a skill everybody should have who can have it, it's the same as knowing how to swim or cycle a bike, you don't have to do it regularly but if its calls you to do it you should be able.

Not being able is retarded and lazy.

McCrack wrote: »
    I think there is something retarded that a person is unable to drive a car by the age of 30. Unless a person has a medical reason stopping them driving or cannot afford a car there is no excuse.

It's a skill everybody should have who can have it, it's the same as knowing how to swim or cycle a bike, you don't have to do it regularly but if its calls you to do it you should be able.

While in principle I agree with you your post is too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Its my opinion that its very shortsighted to say you dont need to drive. Sure, you may live beside the Luas now and are able to scoot in and out to town, but what happens in Twenty years when/if you are married with kids?

In 20 years time, I can learn to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭hanleyc2

What if the person is rich and has a personal chauffeur instead, does that count them as not being retarded :D

The only other reason is I can think of is people who live in a large city and don't really have the need to drive as public transport is so good. Ireland wouldn't be a good example of this excuse.

Aishae wrote: »
    why is it so hard for people to wrap their heads around the idea that there are folks that know what they want?

Why can you not understand that knowing exactly what you want does not equate to having complete control over your circumstances? There are so many instances that could change in your life and the ability to drive will have a huge bearing on many of them.

A dream job becomes available, but needs a drivers license.
    You go on holiday, but cannot get a hire car.
    You need to get to the hospital in an emergency, how do I drive this thing?

Every persons life is different, but the society we live in is predominantly based on the motor industry as opposed to public transport. For someone to glibly handicap themselves by not bothering to learn to drive is not only shortsighted, but a rather stupid decision.

In 20 years time, I can learn to drive.

In a years time you call to see your parents, and (God forbid) one of them starts to have breathing difficulties. You will stand there scratching and waiting for the ambulance like a spare prick, whereas I would already be at the hospital having jumped in the car immediately to drive him there.

"Why couldn't you help me son?"
    "I thought I thought I would have time to learn if I ever needed it..."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Because the older you get the harder it is to learn anything *in general*. Very young kids can pick up languages easily while a 40 year old will find it more difficult - same goes for driving in most cases. Neighbour of mine is just shy of 40, lives in an area on the outskirts of Dublin where public transport isn't great. Have one kid and another on the way. She drives, he doesn't but is trying to learn as it's just not practical for him not to drive anymore. Has spend a huge amount on lessons and is finding it very difficult. That's just one of many examples I know of in my own circle.
    The same argument could be made in relation to learning any skill, including a foreign language. You never know when you might find yourself moving to a different country or looking for a job in the EU (2 EU languages required.) I would take fluent French over being able to drive any day.

driving is a modern part of life and a skill everyone should have , for instance if you met somebody who couldnt cycle, swim, didnt know how to play football etc youd think it was a bit strange, even if not used on a regular basis , its a skill everyone should have really , you may live in a city center now but lets say you got a job down in the middle of nowhere in some industrial estate , youd be pretty screwed then

blorg wrote: »
    The same argument could be made in relation to learning any skill, including a foreign language. You never know when you might find yourself moving to a different country or looking for a job in the EU (2 EU languages required.) I would take fluent French over being able to drive any day.

Of course you could - don't you agree that we should all have a second language?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

In a years time you call to see your parents, and (God forbid) one of them starts to have breathing difficulties. You will stand there scratching and waiting for the ambulance like a spare prick, whereas I would already be at the hospital having jumped in the car immediately to drive him there.

You took the time to learn first aid, I presume, in case of this emergency, and would apply it while waiting for the ambulance.

blorg wrote: »
    You took the time to learn first aid, I presume, in case of this emergency, and would apply it while waiting for the ambulance.

A false equivalence as I am sure you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'm male and turning 30 soon, I have never learned to drive.
    Lived out in the sticks until I was 27, had a crap bus to dublin city and a 5 mile walk to the trainstation if I was getting the train. Never in all my years have I thought 'hmm, must learn to drive' just because I didnt want to, still dont, everyone else in my family drives, good for them, they have kids(which is a lifestyle choice BTW), I never ask them to drive me anywhere, maybe a couple of times if i was running late over the years but I would still be late for work if I could drive haha.

Also, driving always scared the sh!t out of me (seeing car crashes and crazy drivers on the road), as far as I can remember.
    I dont see anytime in my future where I will need to drive as I will never move out of the city centre (back to the middle of nowhere) and find public transport great for my needs.

Why does it p!ss drivers off so much when non-drivers say they never plan to learn? Is it because the driver spends so much on a piece of metal, every few weeks/months/years?

PS: when I am away, I find public transport in other citys to be top notch, so, no need for it in that sense either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

Have you ever met someone who doesn't drive? I always found it a rather strange skill to lack in modern Ireland where owning a car is damn near a necessity.

I know of a couple of people who don't drive.

What's up with that shit?

I don't drive and I don't want to. I definitely don't think of it as a necessity when there are good bus/train services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    there are good bus/train services.

Where are you living? Bus services in Ireland are disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Haha, yeah and then the camera pans to Lassie as she lays dying in a dark and wet alley before cutting back to me as I slump to my knees and scream 'WHHHYYY?!?!?!' into the dark and unforgiving night.

The picture then fades to black with 'The Cats in the Craddle' playing over the credits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

inkwell wrote: »
    Where are you living? Bus services in Ireland are disaster!

I'm living in Galway, never found them a disaster tbh but then again I accept that there may be delays due to traffic.

Haha, yeah and then the camera pans to Lassie as she lays dying in a dark and wet alley before cutting back to me as I slump to my knees and scream 'WHHHYYY?!?!?!' into the dark and unforgiving night.

The picture then fades to black with 'The Cats in the Craddle' playing over the credits.

What are you going to do with Lassies dead body? Thats going to be awkward on the back of your push bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

Arianna_26 wrote: »
    I'm living in Galway, never found them a disaster

:eek:

I am in Galway too and I cant wait to get full license to don't rely on those always late crowded buses, no time tables on bus stops - no buses to some places around etc etc etc

-one day I was on number 3 and was living on Tuam Rd that time and I've had some shopping with me, bus was on this roundabout where you can turn right to Eye cinema -and he did -instead of going straight! I went to driver and asked if this bus changed route. he said no - I said it was always driving Tuam Rd and I have to go there, then he said "no bother I will drive on my way back" :o It took this bus 40 minutes to get where it should be in 5-10 minutes! I could tell you more stories like this one...
    (or drivers going to newsagent for something to drink or eat even if their bus is late)
    -and why the hell there are not timetables on bus stops!???

• I love the people saying 'it doesn't have to be expensive, just hop in a car and drive around.' It is bloody expensive. I'd love to get my licence, just to have it (don't need a car in London) but I just can't afford it. I don't have a car, I don't know anyone who has one I could get insured on or even drive around a car park for a few hours (and driving around a car park is only useful for complete beginners). Learning to drive for me would mean paying an instructor about £40 an hour with NO opportunity at all to drive around between lessons. So I don't really see the point in spending hundreds of pounds, with the possibility always there and always strong that I'll move country again before I get to take my test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I am aware of people who can drive, unable to swim, unable to cook. They must be "retards" / lazy too ?
    Cooking and swimming are both basic lifeskills that should be taught to everybody. They still are not. Driving is a lifestyle choice along with ability to operate a DVD player or a computer, not a basic lifeskill.

I love the people saying 'it doesn't have to be expensive, just hop in a car and drive around.'

Just hop in a car and drive around?

This board has a snazzy quote function, so I am sure you will be able to show a quote of somebody actually saying that. It shouldn't be hard, apparently "people" are saying it, so loads of quotes to choose from.

I'll just wait here shall I? Take your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Driving and owning a car is one of those things where you wonder how you ever did without once you start.

The earlier in life you learn the better, apprehension starts to build with age.

Advertisement