Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there still adults out there who don't/can't drive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

JPA wrote: »
    Driving and owning a car is one of those things where you wonder how you ever did without once you start.

The earlier in life you learn the better, apprehension starts to build with age.

i used to love the train when I was 16 , it was so handy , got my licence at 17 and wonder how i ever managed the train

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I don't think we should be prioritisng teaching kids how to drive in schools since it's something you can do pretty easily outside of school and as a tax-payer I don't fancy paying for state subsidsed driving-instructors with school contracts.

There's also the fact that we're at or at least very near peak oil, living in an increasingly urbanised society and quite possibly teetering at the end of the private-automobile age.

You make a good point about the lack of practical things taught in school and modern skills that would be equally useful in the world of wok...but how many of them involve something as potentially lethal as a car? (with the exception of cookery maybe :D ) As a life skill it would be both useful for a career (either directly or indirectly) and in the world outside work.
    Obviously money is no longer there for doing any of the above but even when it was no move was made toward it.
    I don't think pupils should be leaving school with a full licence at the expense of the taxpayer, but teaching the basics as a means to kick start the path to that full licence would be money well spent IMO.

As for peak oil, whilst I agree somewhat, there'll be electric or hydrogen or something (or we'll all be on the bike); when real peak oil arrives we'll have more to worry about than how we get to work IMO...and regarding urbanisation, like it or not we're a small population in a relatively large country, there will always be pockets of populace that won't be catered for by public transport and those for whom public transport is not viable (needing car/van for carriage of work materials etc etc.)...we don't all work in city offices with only a laptop to carry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

It is bloody expensive.

You are right - even if you are buying the cheapest car (I think nothing less the 2000eu) if you dont have somebody with driving license living with or near you (even if you have you still have to take those 12 lessons) you have to take at least 20 -and its 600eu! My insurance was 800, car 2000, I took 30 lessons - which is over 1000 :eek:, plus tax- 260 or 300. I think I've spend almost 5000 eu -which is loooooooaaaaaads , but still -you can afford it here if you work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Id go batshyte crazy if I ever had to go back to using public transport again (at least anywhere in Ireland/UK) but :rolleyes: at these OMG There are actually people out there who live their lives differently to me -how dare they HOW BLOODY DARE THEY posts.
    if you met somebody who couldnt cycle, swim, didnt know how to play football etc youd think it was a bit strange,

No I wouldnt.
    We are a country whose infrastructure is still very motor dependant, and frankly I tend to have a little less respect for those who cannot drive.
    Im sure they give a flying fiddlers what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A lot of people are going to get a rude awakening when they can't keep up the lifestyle they chose because they need a car.

I regard it as lunacy to choose to depend on car travel for basic living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

A lot of people are going to get a rude awakening when they can't keep up the lifestyle they chose because they need a car.

Its a different story when you live out in the sticks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

inkwell wrote: »
    I took 30 lessons - which is over 1000 :eek:
    You took 30 lessons?:eek:
    How bad were you?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Cooking and swimming are both basic lifeskills that should be taught to everybody. They still are not. Driving is a lifestyle choice along with ability to operate a DVD player or a computer, not a basic lifeskill.
    If swimming can be counted as a basic lifeskill driving surely can be aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    No I wouldnt.

Im sure they give a flying fiddlers what you think.

Well they sure ain't giving a driving fiddlers...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

AgileMyth wrote: »
    If swimming can be counted as a basic lifeskill driving surely can be aswell.

Why?

I can think of no reasonable* circumstance where you will die if you cannot drive.

* reasonable does not include a lava flow from a volcano which you cannot outrun and there is a car with the keys in the ignition right beside you....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Eh, when is this rude awakening going to happen? Humans depend on lots of things we don't really need: microwaves, Iphones, TVs, fake tan, whatever. You don't need em but they make life more pleasant for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You took 30 lessons?:eek:
    How bad were you?:confused:

In most European Countries 30 is mandatory and some people would need more I think..

I could drive after about 10, but to be able to drive and to be safe -thats different.

How many did you get??? If I would have my Dad or somebody who has license here, I could practise, but I didnt..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think the obsession with driving at the earliest age humanely possibe is more of a culchie thing. Presumably so they can get the f**k out of the bog as soon as possible. :confused:

I'm 26, and got my driver's licence in June this year. I cycle pretty much everywhere, or walk, or get the bus. I don't use the car for getting to work, just for convenience to be honest - am doing up the garden at the moment so for these type of things it's handy. But that's all it is, it's just handy to have a car.

If I lost my job I'd adapt back to not having one easily enough I'd imagine as I'm not dependent on it. Wouldn't be easy but it'd be possible.

And really, the only reason I did my test was because of additional requirements being put on learners in the future - getting it out of the way basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I live in dublin, (just inside the M50) but even where I live having a car makes life soooo much easier. I definitely consider it vital. Especially with friends and relations scattered around the city and in commuter towns, means visiting them doesn't require hours of travelling.
    And a baby is on the way, so a car is even more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Only got driving after my second baby, really hard with a toddler and a new baby. I did loads of lessons years ago and had no real interest in driving as used public transport or the hubby brought me any where I needed to go.

The thing that put me off was gears, was rubbish at remembering how to use them, it just never came natural to me, I swear my feet were doing different things to my head, I swear to used to coast and hope for the best :eek: roundabouts and hill starts put the fear of God into me.

Then I discovered an automatic, and my attitude to driving changed forever. The fear is gone and I love driving now, drive every day, so useful with little children especially with crap weather.

In most European Countries 30 is mandatory

Cite?

Or is that pulled from your ass?

(For the record, I had three whole lessons before taking my test, in NI)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I'm 19 and don't drive - dunno if that properly counts as an ''adult'' though :p
    I just don't really need to drive at the moment cause I live very near the Luas and I go to college in Dublin city centre: if I lived in a smaller town I'd probably have had to learn by now...

I just don't think I'd make a good driver - I'm far too nervous a person!

In most European Countries 30 is mandatory and some people would need more I think.

Five minutes on google shows that you did just pull that from your ass. Some examples;
    Germany

http://www.expatica.com/de/essentials_moving_to/essentials/how-to-get-a-driving-license-in-germany-34198_9937.html
    Christine Timmer's typical student requires two to six lessons

Spain is similar to the UK in that there is no set amount of lessons, it is up to the instructor.

http://www.getspain.net/motoring_177068.html
    Once you have finished your theory classes and your instructor deems you ready to take your examination you will have to pay the exam fee.

Hell, in Sweden you don't need to take any lessons at all

http://sites.google.com/site/mystayinsweden/driving
    You don’t have to attend a driving school, but doing so is highly recommended since getting a Swedish driving license is a very complicated procedure. You are not required to take any courses at a driving school as long as you have someone who can be your "private instructor"

What is it with people just making **** up, do you think we are stupid?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,379 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

25 learning atm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Eriu79

I live in the midlands and can not drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

It's something that everyone should be able to do, even if they don't ever own a car. It's easy to talk about not needing to drive when you're 22 and living beside the Luas. I've got friends who had to learn in their 30s and circumstances forced them into it e.g. kids, work, sick parents or children. By leaving the learning how to drive until circumstances have changed, you're immediately putting pressure on yourself. I don't know what the driving test waiting times are like now but you have to go do a load of driving lessons, you can't legally drive around unaccompanied and often the test date can't come soon enough. Better to learn in your own time when you're younger and not under pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Cite?

Or is that pulled from your ass?

(For the record, I had three whole lessons before taking my test, in NI)

Yes and for sure you were never driving before - three hours and you passed the test right? Genius! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭kevez

My brother is nearly 34 and has never had a car he has driven all right but but was never insured or anthing and the time he has driven it was my car and it was into a wall and completly wrecked it :( he has always got lifts into work still lives at home and has never had to pay a bill in his life has about 50k in his account and still wont buy a car :mad: :mad:

softmee wrote: »
    Yes and for sure you were never driving before - three hours and you passed the test right? Genius! :rolleyes:

Try reading before bringing out the old rollseyes smilies. Its right there in my post, I had three LESSONS. I never said I had never driven before, hell, I grew up at a garage, I was driving since I was knee high.

Inkwell said 30 LESSONS were mandatory, I called him on his bull****. You didnt even understand the words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Cars are expensive, Im paying €400 per month to the Credit Union for mine, add almost €400 per annum for road tax, about the same for motor insurance!

You're paying 400 on insurance? Wait til next year when male and female drivers get charged the same. Won't be any cheaper for males just more expensive for females, only insurance companies will win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

I also only had 3 lessons and passed first time, just cause you didn't doesn't mean more talented individuals can't :rolleyes:

Try reading before bringing out the old rollseyes smilies. Its right there in my post, I had three LESSONS. I never said I had never driven before, hell, I grew up at a garage, I was driving since I was knee high.

Inkwell said 30 LESSONS were mandatory, I called him on his bull****. You didnt even understand the words.

He said 30 is mandatory in SOME Countries and I know this is the way it is in Poland for example.
    I've had 26 and I never drove before that at all. Not everyone grows up in a garage -feel sorry for you though, it must been hard. :pac:

I also only had 3 lessons and passed first time, just cause you didn't doesn't mean more talented individuals can't :rolleyes:

But you've had opportunity to drive before that right??? I didnt - my father died when I was young and my mum couldnt afford car, so stop talking nonsense! :mad:

• Advertisement

He said 30 is mandatory in SOME Countries

Once again, try reading for comprehension. (All bolding mine)
    In most European Countries 30 is mandatory and some people would need more I think

Secondly,
    and I know this is the way it is in Poland for example.

At risk of repeating myself, cite? Because I sure as hell cannot see where it says you need 30 lessons before taking your test?

Advertisement