Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im afraid to let my Cat outside

• 20-08-2011 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I have 1 year old rescue cat and he is male and i got him neutered not so long ago.

I went the hole way to kilkenny to get him, but when i got him he was a kitten that had been dumped and left to run free and he was almost wild and he ran from every person that came near him or if her heard a loud noise.

I have him about 6 months now and he is very relaxed around me and my partner and our dog but if anyone else comes into the house he goes hiding or if a loud noise happens he runs away.

I let him out one day and he went missing till that night and i was calling him all day so i am afraid to let him out again in case he wont come back because he still shows signs of been wild cat.

I have been told to put butter on his paws and he sill come back but im really worried he wont come back and i just feel so bad for him stuck inside the hole time and in good weather because hes always looking out the windows.

If anyone has any help or advise i would be grateful because if he went missing i would be heart broken :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

cat proof your garden so he Cant get out or build him a run like you would a dog but with a roof and he will be happy out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 sweetskye

Hi Sparky89,

Dont worry about him being sometimes scared of people . My cat who I have
    since he was 8 weeks old, hes now 3, still sometimes hides from us. I still get anxious if they stay away for too long. I was told when they were small to let them out and feed them only when they were back.
    It takes a while but you will get used to him being out. All the best.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

cat proof your garden so he Cant get out or build him a run like you would a dog but with a roof and he will be happy out

I'm going to have to agree with this. I used to leave two of mine out for a few hours everyday and they always came running, but for some reason only one of them came back the other day. I figured he would come back later, but started to get worried as it started to get dark. I stayed up until 4am sitting just inside the kitchen window waiting for him and he finally arrived home, but I've decided that they're not being left out anymore. I think I'm going to try and build a run for them and see how I get on with it.

There's far too many things to worry about I feel. Between cars, dogs, other cats, and teenagers who think its fun to kick a cat around, I'm not risking it. They have full run of the house and an entire room to themselves. I would reccomend that you do as kildare mentioned; either cat proof the garden so he cant get out or build a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Well the bottom line is if anyone lets their cat roam freely they have to expect that there's a chance the cat to come back injured or not at all some cats are pure lucky. There are ways as said to cat proof the garden there's also aviary type enclosures you can get, places like hayses modular make dog runs suitable for cats too. You can make them as big as you want. For an average town garden for example you wouldn't need that many panels to enclose the whole or most of the garden.

Butter on the paws is a myth.

It's funny how many (sadly not all) people will not let their dogs roam the streets but are happy to allow their cats to. Cars, other cats, dogs, narky neighbours can all be a risk to a wandering cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

It would be impossible for me to cat proof my garden as i live out the country and building a pen for him would that not just be the same thing as keeping him inside ?

• Advertisement

Well the bottom line is if anyone lets their cat roam freely they have to expect that there's a chance the cat to come back injured or not at all some cats are pure lucky. There are ways as said to cat proof the garden there's also aviary type enclosures you can get, places like hayses modular make dog runs suitable for cats too. You can make them as big as you want. For an average town garden for example you wouldn't need that many panels to enclose the whole or most of the garden.

Butter on the paws is a myth.

It's funny how many (sadly not all) people will not let their dogs roam the streets but are happy to allow their cats to. Cars, other cats, dogs, narky neighbours can all be a risk to a wandering cat.

I dont agree with letting people letting there animals walk free but im not doing that i live out the country and have no house or streets near me all there is, is fields and my cat has had all his boosters and has been nurtured and micro chipped so i dont see how thats would be a problem as i have taken all the safety precautions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Driveways alone are a danger in winter, cats like to hide in the cars engines to keep warm. Neutering and vaccinations are important but they have nothing to do really with a cats saftey the countryside is a haven for cats of course but there are risks there too, farm machinery, traps, posioned land, dogs etc.

Cats as a species love to roam in general they love the freedom but so do dogs given half the chance my lot would be up the fields doing their own thing.

A pen is a compramise between total freedom and the saftey of the garden.

A cat pen can be enriched with logs and trees, fountains, shelves to lounge on, it gives cats the mental stimulation, chasing insects and sunshine. There's all sorts of things you can do with a cat pen to make it fun the possibilities are endless.

Some people go all out and build cat walkways and tunnels etc. So many cat toys out there as well that can be added or even another kitty for company.

Driveways alone are a danger in winter, cats like to hide in the cars engines to keep warm. Neutering and vaccinations are important but they have nothing to do really with a cats saftey the countryside is a haven for cats of course but there are risks there too, farm machinery, traps, posioned land, dogs etc.

Cats as a species love to roam in general they love the freedom but so do dogs given half the chance my lot would be up the fields doing their own thing.

A pen is a compramise between total freedom and the saftey of the garden.

A cat pen can be enriched with logs and trees, fountains, shelves to lounge on, it gives cats the mental stimulation, chasing insects and sunshine. There's all sorts of things you can do with a cat pen to make it fun the possibilities are endless.

Some people go all out and build cat walkways and tunnels etc. So many cat toys out there as well that can be added or even another kitty for company.

This is not an option for me as i would not have the funds to cost the build even tho it is a great idea and does sound like cat heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Lots of people leave their cats inside. Most of my friends cats are indoor only. SOme are in houses with access to a run, some are kept within the house and others in apartments.
    Most cats adapt to being indoors. A run is an advantage as the cat can chase flies, watch the birds, have fresh air etc.
    Playtime with the cat in the evening will give him the interaction he needs, a laser mouse is brilliant and he will chase it for hours.
    If you keep your cat indoors you are keeping him safe, safe from other cats, dogs, cat haters, cars, poison, the list goes on.

Just make sure he has a scratching post and toys. A few high place to sleep on and a cardboard box is a brilliant toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A cat run doesn't need to be big or costly, some lengths of timber, cut and made into a simple frame, and some avery wire or chicken wire stretched over. Just make sure there are no sharp edges on the inside.
    You can cover 3 sides and the roof and fix it to the wall over a window, leave the window open and the cat can go in and out. Put a good size fallen tree log or some branches for scratching posts and the cat will be happy.
    Make sure the pen faces the sun and the cat will be really happy.
    I know my friend in the uk built one for about £60 so sure it wouldn't cost much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

runs can be made very cheap if your creative and do it yourself. Like the other poster said you can fill it with loads of things. Steel fencing is cheap enough and if your handy with your hands you would knock something together in a day and for under 100 quid that would last years and keep your piece of mind and the cat happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Cats are independent creatures so will not always do what you expect of them. If you let them out they will come back in their own good time.

You have to accept that an outdoor cat faces more danger than an indoor cat, but have to balance what you feel is the best thing to do in your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

I've got a rescue cat as well, got her when she was a kitten the mum was feral. I had her for a year before she was let out due to there being a busy road near the house. We moved to quieter place and started just by letting her out the back for a while. She comes and goes as she pleases now, and although i still worry she might get run over / not come back I'd rather have a bit of worry than her being cooped up in the house all day. She is so much more relaxed and happier now that she gets out. I know there is a lot of pros about having an indoor cat, I just think it a bit of a shame to keep a cat in the house all the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah, I think it's a bit of a shame to have your pet torn apart by greyhounds or laminated across the tarmac on the road, but live and let live eh? Wouldn't want to coop them up what!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Why would butter on paws make a difference?

Everybody has there own views on keeping a cat indoors but when you have to look at your pet everyday knowing that he wants to go outside and seems unhappy inside, you only want the best for him.

I dont live near roads or any danger hazards so im not worried about that part

I only asked for advise on will my cat come back if i let him out not if he will be laminated across the road or killed my cows etc

If people could advise me on WILL HE COME BACK i would be grateful as the other advise is not useful to me and as for building a pen, my view on that would be the same as keeping him in doors and i live in rented accommodation so it is not an option

serenacat wrote: »
    Why would butter on paws make a difference?

It was an old lady who told me that so im assuming its a wifes tale

She said that he will spend so long licking the butter off his paws he will be used to the garden surroundings

buckieburd wrote: »
    I've got a rescue cat as well, got her when she was a kitten the mum was feral. I had her for a year before she was let out due to there being a busy road near the house. We moved to quieter place and started just by letting her out the back for a while. She comes and goes as she pleases now, and although i still worry she might get run over / not come back I'd rather have a bit of worry than her being cooped up in the house all day. She is so much more relaxed and happier now that she gets out. I know there is a lot of pros about having an indoor cat, I just think it a bit of a shame to keep a cat in the house all the time...

It horrible looking at him everyday crying looking out the window and scratching at it so i dont think keeping him cooped up in the house is doing him good

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭buckieburd

Yeah, I think it's a bit of a shame to have your pet torn apart by greyhounds or laminated across the tarmac on the road, but live and let live eh? Wouldn't want to coop them up what!

I would hope if someone had aggressive dogs they would not be roaming free where they could attack other animals or children
    sparky89 wrote: »
    It horrible looking at him everyday crying looking out the window and scratching at it so i dont think keeping him cooped up in the house is doing him good

Cats know where their bread is buttered, they always come back when they are hungry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If people could advise me on WILL HE COME BACK i would be grateful as the other advise is not useful to me and as for building a pen, my view on that would be the same as keeping him in doors and i live in rented accommodation so it is not an option

No one can advise you on if he will come back, how would anyone know? The thing about roaming cats is they generally come home until the day they don't but you'll never know when that day is. They'll regularily go missing not coming back for hours or days after they should and and one day they simply wont come back. The only way to guarantee you know where he is is to not let him out or build some kind of enclosure

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

I say let him out. He will want to explore his new surroundings so may stay away for a few hours. I live in the country too and have 3 cats, 2 of them LOVE being out, they get distressed if they want to get out and I wont let them, is that fair? I dont think so personally. They never go too far sometimes will see them at the end of the field sitting on the wall watching for mice. Or if I call them they come within a minute out of the long grass etc.

Sure I would love to be able to fence in the garden so they cant get out....maybe when I win the lotto :D

I say let him out. He will want to explore his new surroundings so may stay away for a few hours. I live in the country too and have 3 cats, 2 of them LOVE being out, they get distressed if they want to get out and I wont let them, is that fair? I dont think so personally. They never go too far sometimes will see them at the end of the field sitting on the wall watching for mice. Or if I call them they come within a minute out of the long grass etc.

Sure I would love to be able to fence in the garden so they cant get out....maybe when I win the lotto :D

Thank you for your advise its nice to hear something positive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

+ 1

My views exactly. OP do what you think is best for your pets and what makes them happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

OP he will come back. Stay outside with him for the first few times, let him get to know his way around. Let him out before feeding him so he won't go far. If you can put in a catflap it's ideal, otherwise leaving a window open will give him a safe retreat and he can explore at his own pace.
    And put a collar on him....though after reading through another thread I'd be inclined not to put a phone number on it:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Why do people always compare cats with dogs. They're completely different species with different personalities.

Dogs are pack animals who rely on their pack for safety and food. For pets, their owners and "family" is the dog's pack and the dog will want to be with the "pack".

Cats on the other hand and solitary independent ambush predators who rely on their senses for safety and food. They have lived for millions of years by themselves and know how to look after themselves alone. They have a need to explore and hunt for prey which is why cats are more willing to roam outside than stay indoors.

Also dogs on their own usually don't know what to do hence if you let them out, they'll end up following people and cars etc and will get lost. Also an aggressive dog can very easily injure and also kill a child which is why you have license for keeping dogs and laws which don't allow them to roam outside on their own.

Most cat owners like to see their pets roam free like they would naturally in the wild. Its not about being responsible and caring for the pet's life no matter what. You can keep it indoors safe and protected all its life and it will probably live a fairly happy life. While you can also let it roam free outside and live life fully like its meant for cats to do which makes the cats happy.

Its the same as keeping animals in a zoo where they live their life in a small enclosure all their life compared to seeing the animal roam free in its natural habitat in the wild.

Bottom line cats and dogs are two very different animals and you compare the behaviours of the two...

All that aside to OP,

If you're too concerned about your cat's safety while at the same time want to fill its need to explore the outdoors, you could maybe take the cat out for some supervised play time outside or if you're scared your cat will run away and not return, then you could try to get the cat used to a harness and take it out on a leash. You might get some strange looks from people but it'll give the cat a chance to explore the outdoors while also give you the peace of mind that the cat's not going to run away anywhere and stay safe with you...

Why do people always compare cats with dogs. They're completely different species with different personalities.

Because people used to let their dogs roam, and now they don't, because it's now considered responsible pet ownership not to let your dogs roam free. Are you old enough to remember the ads on Irish telly in the 80s, the animated ad where someone puts their golden retriever out for the night and it runs with a pack of roaming dog and worries sheep? The message was to keep your pets in for the night.
    Dogs are pack animals who rely on their pack for safety and food. For pets, their owners and "family" is the dog's pack and the dog will want to be with the "pack".

Indeed it will - and it will be out killing livestock with that pack if given the opportunity, except these days we don't give them the opportunity.
    Cats on the other hand and solitary independent ambush predators...

Anyone who has a successful multi-cat household will refute this. Cats function extremely well as part of a colony - they mutually groom, play and sleep together. Feral cats will frequently inhabit popular feeding and breeding grounds in groups of five or more (and often it's far more, we're talking 25 or 30 cats.)
    ...who rely on their senses for safety and food. They have lived for millions of years by themselves and know how to look after themselves alone. They have a need to explore and hunt for prey which is why cats are more willing to roam outside than stay indoors.

No they haven't lived for millions of years by themselves. Are you just making this up? The domestic cat was domesticated within the last 10,000 years. Just because they can revert easily to a wild state doesn't mean they're the same species. They thrive on companionship and proper care.
    Also dogs on their own usually don't know what to do hence if you let them out, they'll end up following people and cars etc and will get lost. Also an aggressive dog can very easily injure and also kill a child which is why you have license for keeping dogs and laws which don't allow them to roam outside on their own.

Just because a roaming cat is unlikely to kill a child, (though there are plenty of cases of kids bitten and scratched by cats), WHY is that the deciding factor between allowing your animal be an irritant to the entire neighbourhood? Roaming cats absolutely infuriate people who don't want them crapping in their yards or walking the wall, winding their dogs up. Is the death of a child actually necessary for cat owners to consider their neighbours? ...do we need to breed bigger cats? :confused:
    Most cat owners like to see their pets roam free like they would naturally in the wild.

Again, a statistic you've pulled out of your arse. "Most" cat owners? Most that you know? I'll bet I know more cat owners than you, and the vast majority of them don't let their cats roam.
    Its not about being responsible and caring for the pet's life no matter what.

Yes, you're dead right, it's not about being responsible. There is no "no matter what" here. There are plenty of ways to restrict your cat's roaming tendencies, keeping it safe from dogs, cars and other people, reducing frustration to your neighbours and preventing it from becoming a nuisance.
    You can keep it indoors safe and protected all its life and it will probably live a fairly happy life. While you can also let it roam free outside and live life fully like its meant for cats to do which makes the cats happy.

Don't anthropomorphise the cat. All cats need to be happy is food, shelter, warmth, cuddles, something to scratch and a game with a toy that fulfills their hunting instincts. That can be indoors, in the garden or boundary-free.
    Its the same as keeping animals in a zoo where they live their life in a small enclosure all their life compared to seeing the animal roam free in its natural habitat in the wild.

No it isn't. The habitat of the domestic cat is far smaller than you seem to realise, especially if it's a neutered cat. The average garden is sufficient for a cat to get sunshine, fresh air, have a crap, chase some butterflies and scratch a tree. If you don't have a garden, you can either commit to keeping your cat indoors with cat trees and toys, or just don't get a cat.
    Bottom line cats and dogs are two very different animals and you compare the behaviours of the two...

I have no intention of comparing a cat to a dog. What I do, and will continue to do, is compare a cat owner with a dog owner. Both have animals who will roam if allowed. Both animals will cause frustration and agitation to neighbours if allowed to roam. Both animals run the risk of being hit by cars or abused by non-animal-loving humans if allowed to roam. Both animals run the risk of being seriously injured or killed by dogs (ironically enough for other dogs) if allowed to roam. The difference between the two is that with dogs, both culture and the state have stepped in to legislate against roaming dogs and to put people in the mindset that allowing your dog to roam is the wrong thing to do.
    All that aside to OP,

If you're too concerned about your cat's safety while at the same time want to fill its need to explore the outdoors, you could maybe take the cat out for some supervised play time outside or if you're scared your cat will run away and not return, then you could try to get the cat used to a harness and take it out on a leash. You might get some strange looks from people but it'll give the cat a chance to explore the outdoors while also give you the peace of mind that the cat's not going to run away anywhere and stay safe with you...

Aaaaaand, this bit I agree with.

you need to relax im looking for advise not a slagging match about cats a dogs

All that aside to OP,

Thank you for your advise, I have tried the cat harness and he freaks out wen u put it on him so i done it a few times and he got worse and worse so i havnt done it since

you need to relax im looking for advise not a slagging match about cats a dogs

/shrug - if you don't want an opinion, don't post on the internet. And it's cat owners and dog owners, not cats and dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rabbit.84

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056363848

maybe threads like that would put you off. I think if you cant guarantee that it will be as safe outside as it is inside then it stays inside.

My current cat is indoors only. He is happy enough with this. When I move somewhere with some outdoor space he will have and outdoor enclosure. I found my previous cat dead on the road and it wont be happening again.

Advertisement