Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free parking for 4 days in Galway - where?

Options
  • 20-08-2011 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

I live in Mayo.
    I'll need to fly abroad for few days soon from Dublin Airport.
    I calculated, that petrol, motorway tolls + long term parking on the airport will cost me over 100 euros.
    Alternatively I thought I could drive to Galway, park my car there, and take a bus to Dublin airport. Return bus is 25 euros + bit of petrol to Galway, and I can close all in 40 quid.

The only thing is to find a place in Galway where I can leave my car for 4 days for free.
    Any ideas?

Preferably would be great if it was withing 15 minutes walking distance to bus station, and that my car would be safe enough there.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I don't think you'll find anywhere around galway that has free parking. When i had a car and looking to save money on parking, i often parked in salthill and you can get a bus into town then. There's a car park by the roundabout in salthill and another one beside the aquarium.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Salthill is a good one. There are parking spaces in the hospital that are not staff specific and non-paying as well, down by the mortuary etc, but you would need to be going in there early morning or after office hours in the evening to get one of those spots. Probably frowned upon to park there for any reason other than to work in/visit the hospital but it should be grand. I would still go with Salthill first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Renmore, Mervue or Wellpark. AFAIK all the airport buses stop at GMIT on the Dublin Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I don't think you'll find anywhere around galway that has free parking. When i had a car and looking to save money on parking, i often parked in salthill and you can get a bus into town then. There's a car park by the roundabout in salthill and another one beside the aquarium.

I know this parking by roundabout in Salthill.
    Is it for free? I didn't know that but if it is, thats great.

I'll be going very early (bus is 5 in the morning).
    Should there be any space to park there at that early hour?
    I checked with google maps, at it's 3km walk to bus station. About 20 minutes for me, so will suit me.
    Will the car be safe there to leave for few days?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Renmore, Mervue or Wellpark. AFAIK all the airport buses stop at GMIT on the Dublin Road.

Citylink express doesn't stop at GMIT according to their website.

Wellpark - you mean the shopping centre? Can car be left there for few days? That would be bit closer to bus station than Salthill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Given that about 20% of Galwegians are from Mayo originally,
    don't you or your family know even one person in Galway with a house and driveway?

The kind soul may even drop you off or pick you up from the bus.

Then your car will be nice and safe

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Any late night / early morning bus from mayo?

Given that about 20% of Galwegians are from Mayo originally,
    don't you or your family know even one person in Galway with a house and driveway?

The kind soul may even drop you off or pick you up from the bus.

Then your car will be nice and safe

Heh my family live thousands kilometres away.
    I'm as well not from Mayo originally, and unfortunately don't know anyone in Galway with driveway.

dermiek wrote: »
    Any late night / early morning bus from mayo?

Heh, in the place I live there is no buses at all ;)
    That's what they call a real rural Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Where in mayo are you? There's a bus from ballina at 0100 arriving Dublin airport at 0445.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

CiniO wrote: »
    Citylink express doesn't stop at GMIT according to their website.

Wellpark - you mean the shopping centre? Can car be left there for few days? That would be bit closer to bus station than Salthill

I was thinking of the housing estate Wellpark Grove, a short walk from Dublin Rd
    google map but Renmore & Mervue would be a little closer to GMIT. If you want a bus that only goes from the bus station, Wellpark would be a little closer, and its an easy walk.

Another option is Oranmore, there's a nice big underground carpark at Tesco there, and I'm pretty sure some buses stop there.

• Advertisement

dermiek wrote: »
    Where in mayo are you? There's a bus from ballina at 0100 arriving Dublin airport at 0445.

Doesn't really suit me. I'm far from Ballina.
    Beside I don't need to be on airport earlier than 8am, so no need for such early bus.
    Thanks.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    I was thinking of the housing estate Wellpark Grove, a short walk from Dublin Rd
    google map

Would it be OK to leave car in housing estate?
    Local people wouldn't mind?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I checked with google maps, at it's 3km walk to bus station. About 20 minutes for me, so will suit me.

Are you a race-walker?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Would it be OK to leave car in housing estate?
    Local people wouldn't mind?
    Would you mind if someone parked in yours?
    As long as you're not obstructing anyone I don't think it would be a problem for a few days.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Are you a race-walker?

Maybe I overestimated it.
    3 km in 20 minutes makes 9km/h.

Say 7km/h is reasonable walk speed, so I'll need 25 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

re parking = pls don't park in UCHG grounds. It is hard enough for patients and visitors to find parking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

What time are you planning on arriving in Galway?If it's outside office hours,I might know of a place.Drop me a pm for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Best thing you can do is park in the multi-storey carpark which is down beside the docks (haynes yard IIRC) and "lose" your ticket ;) replacement one costs €9

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mdbatches

I hear the citylink bus station has fairly reasonable parking rates you should give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Corpo carpark outside Galway Bay FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,157 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Admittedly it's been quite a few years since I worked for FKM along here but just outside Parkmore Industrial estate, what's this car park like? Has a bus service to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

park on pathwalk in Claddah

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement