Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Couriering a bike from UK?

• 20-08-2011 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in a certain bike model which is not distributed in Ireland. I could get a new one delivered from UK but I actually like its version from previous years more so I keep checking ebay for second hand ones. The problem is that most bikes on ebay are pickup only. In my experience with other purchases sellers are usually willing to negotiate (especially when there are no other bids) but is there an easy way to send a bike from UK and does it make sense cost wise? Bike shops usually quote something like e30 for shipping but it could be for a boxed bike?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

mhge wrote: »
    I'm interested in a certain bike model which is not distributed in Ireland. I could get a new one delivered from UK but I actually like its version from previous years more so I keep checking ebay for second hand ones. The problem is that most bikes on ebay are pickup only. In my experience with other purchases sellers are usually willing to negotiate (especially when there are no other bids) but is there an easy way to send a bike from UK and does it make sense cost wise? Bike shops usually quote something like e30 for shipping but it could be for a boxed bike?

The €30 is very likely to be for a boxed bike that that you buy new from them. In my (basic) experience, you could double or perhaps triple that to get a courier to pick up in the UK and deliver over here. Try DHL or the usual couriers to get an idea, but your best bet might be a 'man-with-a-van' who comes on personal recommendation and who makes regular UK-Ireland runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Thanks, that makes sense. I wouldn't mind shelling out €80 or even €100 if I have to as the bike can be had for a good price, I would just like to be able to make it easy on the seller so that they agree to send it over to me as it means no extra hassle for them.

Advertisement