Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber frame houses from germany

Options
  • 20-08-2011 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for suppliers/builders of German timber frame houses. So far I was able to finde only one - does anyone have any leads?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 16hill

why german do you think it will work out cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

Had experience with an excellent supplier which translates as Ox house in 2009. However use Irish timber frame suppliers now instead, with better outcomes. Have you seen the Grand designs where they imported kit houses and timber frame from Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frozenbanana

16hill wrote: »
    why german do you think it will work out cheaper

Not really.We had three contractors (one of them is gfs brother) look at our plans and they all said to go for german or swedish, so she made her mind up and I think it would be stupid to ignore professional advice as well. They seem to have much better reputation
    Had experience with an excellent supplier which translates as Ox house in 2009. However use Irish timber frame suppliers now instead, with better outcomes. Have you seen the Grand designs where they imported kit houses and timber frame from Germany?

I haven't actually, I'll try to find it somewhere. What was the outcome anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Not really.We had three contractors (one of them is gfs brother) look at our plans and they all said to go for german or swedish, so she made her mind up and I think it would be stupid to ignore professional advice as well. They seem to have much better reputation

I haven't actually, I'll try to find it somewhere. What was the outcome anyway?

There are a couple of Irish TF companies doing excellant work. I'll pm the names to you.

The stereotype of german companies is all that is. My airtightness guy is german and he has stated that the are some very good companies in germany, there are also a load of them turning out absolutel crap.

You will also pay considerably more for the german companies too. If something goes wrong don't assume they'll come running to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dutch1

sas wrote: »

You will also pay considerably more for them too. If something goes wrong don't assume they'll come running to fix it.

Buy Irish, Quality is there & so is the support. In the long run after factoring in Freight/additional taxes/problems arising onsite etc etc. You might as well of buying locally from a reputable dealer.

• Advertisement

dutch1 wrote: »
    Buy Irish, Quality is there & so is the support. In the long run after factoring in Freight/additional taxes/problems arising onsite etc etc. You might as well of buying locally from a reputable dealer.

I've corrected my post as apparently it wasn't clear.

I support specific Irish TF companies. The german ones will be considerably more expensive before everything you've mentioned above, let alone once it's included.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭beyondpassive

PM sent with names of 3 Irish/NI next generation timber frame companies and 2 budget options ( hopefully they correspond with SAS)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Buy Irish.

It's possible to meet & exceed 'German' standards here, if you use the right people.

And, from a practical perspective, on an even-keel for quality, Irish supplier will be cheaper - have you seen how much it costs to transport a whole house...?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

<SNIP> used to have some relationship with Coillte which changed in 08 to what I'm not sure.

Mod edit: Recommendations by PM only please. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AAW

try out latvian site <SNIP> google translator will help you with language. they are exported from norway, sweden, latvia, to western europe, so that means they are cheaper in east and quality is unbeatable. range of products is endless...... and DO NOT BUILD IT YOURSELF, OR TRUST KNOWN BUILDERS. those houses are science, and i can guarantee you need spec from east...

Mod edit: Recommendations by PM only please. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭frozenbanana

Thanks for the links tp all who PMd me, sent few quote request, I;m actually gonna reconsider the german thing

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

PM sent with names of 3 Irish/NI next generation timber frame companies and 2 budget options ( hopefully they correspond with SAS)

can you send me on that pm too,
    thanks in advance
    badge

I forgot to add: with an Irish supplier, you'll have a warranty that's easily enforceable, as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Frozenbanana,

Just stumbled upon this forum by accident.
    The Grand Designs program featured a well known german company - Huf-Haus - building (assembling) a house somewhere in the UK.
    They did an excellent job. If you can find the program it is well worth watching (if only for ideas).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 badger81

Frozenbanana,

Just stumbled upon this forum by accident.
    The Grand Designs program featured a well known german company - Huf-Haus - building (assembling) a house somewhere in the UK.
    They did an excellent job. If you can find the program it is well worth watching (if only for ideas).

what series/episode is this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Badger,

Just found it. It's Series 4 episode 2.
    You should be able to view it on the 4OD web viewer that Channel 4 have.

There is nothing to be learned from watching that episode. That company is not typical of german construction companies. They are considered a "Rolls Royce" solution in Germany, let alone here.

Budget in excess of a million required.

Don't get me wrong, I happen to really like that episode but don't base your expectations on it.

sas wrote: »
    There is nothing to be learned from watching that episode. That company is not typical of german construction companies. They are considered a "Rolls Royce" solution in Germany, let alone here.

Budget in excess of a million required.

Don't get me wrong, I happen to really like that episode but don't base your expectations on it.

...ah now, I wouldn't say 'nothing' to be learnt.........if nothing else, at least they used a raft foundation. You won't see them building on strip foundations.......

...outside of that, there's nothing they're doing in that episode (which I love too, btw), which can't be done here. And, like you said, all the 'beautifulness' has to be paid for by someone...........

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

My parents in law lived in a Huf in Germany for 9 years.

IMO they are not good design. The space utilisation was very poor because of the roof design and all those exposed glulam beams are just dirt catchers and a nightmare to keep clean.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    My parents in law lived in a Huf in Germany for 9 years.

IMO they are not good design. The space utilisation was very poor because of the roof design and all those exposed glulam beams are just dirt catchers and a nightmare to keep clean.

Ridiculously expensive and impractical, fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Build a block house. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭BigGeorge

There are a number of excellent TF firms based both here & in NI who has good experience in low energy / passive house construction techniques. These companies are better used to deal with irish concerns ( both real & imanary), real reference customers, are not agents who will leave in a hurry and have a good name to protect. They will work out 30-50% less expensive than the comparable german or swedish alternatives. Am just finishing my house build with a NI timber frame company.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 anjisbuild

Can you also PM me names and budget options please. Got planning in May but still have not made up mind on build type...Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 anjisbuild

BigGeorge wrote: »
    There are a number of excellent TF firms based both here & in NI who has good experience in low energy / passive house construction techniques. These companies are better used to deal with irish concerns ( both real & imanary), real reference customers, are not agents who will leave in a hurry and have a good name to protect. They will work out 30-50% less expensive than the comparable german or swedish alternatives. Am just finishing my house build with a NI timber frame company.
    Would you please PM me the name of the NI TF company - I got a quote from a TF company in NI but dont know anyone who has gone with them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thebigredmachin

anjisbuild wrote: »
    BigGeorge wrote: »
    ...Am just finishing my house build with a NI timber frame company.
    Would you please PM me the name of the NI TF company - I got a quote from a TF company in NI but dont know anyone who has gone with them. Thanks

Could you pm it to me too?

Also could someone pm me the original recommended 3 tf suppliers also?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sboyle

hi can you pm the name of the NI company you used i know this thread is old but i'm in the process of looking for a company and any help would be appreciated thanks

Advertisement