Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom: How to increase cap?

• 20-08-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I used to live in Donegal Town where I had an uncapped 8mb next-gen setup.

I've recently moved to a place 15 minutes outside of Mullingar, and unfortunately the area has an exchange that isn't upgraded to next-gen yet, and can only handle 2mb into the house.

Consequently I am stuck with a 30gig cap because that's the best/only deal they can offer someone with a 2mb line speed limit. 30gig is not NEARLY enough cap for my uses, and 1c per mb after reaching the cap is just "meh."

I've spoken to Eircom but they say that they cannot increase the cap and dont have any other offerings for me. They won't even let me pay for a higher line speed in order to get the higher cap, even though I know I'd still only get the 2mb that the line can handle. They say their system won't allow it.

Competitors will give me a 300gig cap on the 2mb line, but the Eircom contract forces you to pay for the entire left-over-time on your contract if you want to cancel your service (i.e. if you have 6 months left, you have to pay a full 6 months charges in order cancel early), and I can't go 6 months without internet...so I was forced to take this 30 gig rubbish which is now renewed for another year (contract gets reset back to 1 year whenever you make a change).

Apparently the only way that you can get out of the Eircom setup is if you move somewhere that they can't provide any service. So even though they couldn't offer me the same service that I had bought in Donegal, the fact that they still have this poofy 2mb line means that I am forced to stay with them or pay the full amount for the remainder of the contract to be allowed to use another ISP.

Bottom line, my family and I are really struggling with this 30gig cap. Does anyone know how I can get some proper service out of Eircom? Their competitors are offering better products on Eircoms OWN NETWORK, but their contract has me tied in.

Do they offer fixed boosters (i.e. pay so-much for a 10gig cap booster)?
    Is there some way to increase the cap that I'm unaware of?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The don't charge for over use on the non-NGB products. Only on NGB do they enforce the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭pat13wx

jor el wrote: »
    The don't charge for over use on the non-NGB products. Only on NGB do they enforce the cap.

This is my experience. I have 10 Gig cap, but I have been going over it substantially without being ever charged extra.

My advice to the OP is not to worry about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

If you're on a non NGB enabled exchange, despite the stated limit, they won't charge you if you go over your limit.
    I'm in the same boat and would often top 100GBs a month and have never received even a letter from them about it in 4 or 5 years.
    There's a thread on the eircom forum where the rep basically admits that they don't enforce it if it gives you any peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Greylor

Fantastic. I'll go a bit over this month and see if they charge us.

If what you guys say is true, it's a huge load off my back.

You will be the finest. There is apparently an unwritten rule that those of us without NGB do not get penalised for going over the cap;[ I was in the same boat as you until someone told me on this forum] not to worry about it.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭ninja 12

So ,

There's no problem downloading 300GB+ :D on a 50GB limit ? (ahem , nearly 6 times the limit)

:D

ninja 12 wrote: »
    So ,

There's no problem downloading 300GB+ :D on a 50GB limit ? (ahem , nearly 6 times the limit)

:D

That's about right. If you are not yet upgraded to NGB then you have no download allowances worries. This is my understanding. I too was sceptical, but not any more:)

Advertisement