Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion (Cost of RSJs)

• 20-08-2011 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

I'm investigating getting our attic converted, but am trying to find out the

The house is a four bed detached (built in 2005) with a truss rafter attic.

From Gable wall to Gable wall the length is approximately 22.5 feet. The width will be approximately 20" (under eves not included, I'm roughly measuring where the usable floorspace would be in that width).

The attic will allow for a 7'6" ceiling height.

We will be getting in a new staircase into the attic, so it will have proper access.

We intend to use it as a bedroom and have an en-suite in it.

Its been mentioned to me that I may not need to use RSJs, that using new wooden joists in combination with the 1st floor internal walls, to create the new raised floor in the attic will suffice.

But Im not sure, as the attic will be fairly big, and I want to make sure it will comply with building regulations, support the weight of the roof and ultimately add value to the house by being a proper room.

Does anyone have an idea of how much RSJs typically cost as part of the attic conversion?

Any thoughts, links or constructive comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi
    Before you do anything get a structural engineer to look at job. The way the truss web is designed I dont think you can cut any part, as the truss design is triangulated to perform as it is made.
    North West

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Thanks for the replies guys.

In relation to a structural engineer, Does anyone have an idea what the going rate would be for one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Hi there is no prob converting your attic and you can cut the truss roof the problem is that it is not a diy job.
    You do need the steel you will need an engineer to certify the work after or you can never sell the house and even then it will never be sold as an extra bedroom because of the roof height always classed as storage space I do them all the time it will add to value to your home and anyone that thinks about buying will aways think of the extra room but you will find it very hard to find an engineer that will cert a diy job

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Thanks for that 650gs. Any idea what the going rate is for a structural engineer, make sure i dont get ripped off?

I'd like a structural engineer to look at it indepently first and discuss the exact needs so I'm informed on the scope of the work needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shane acb

i would recommend steel rsj, its best way and prob the cheapest!
    supply and fit the steel both sides costs around €1000.

an engineer report costs €350

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I dont get these big prices for RSJs. I now work on steel bridges and RSJs are not that expensive.

I recently heard of a lad paying 3k for a bit of steel. I laughed at him a little as I though he was joking .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

we did our attic a couple of years ago and the room size is almost identical to yours ... rsj's were approx 900 euro - came in three sections with 'sleeves' welded to each section to slot and bolt together.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭scuba05

Hi Gsxr1.

Just curious can you indicate where I can get steel rsjs made for an attic conversion at the right price.

I live in Louth and work in Dublin.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Gsxr1 is talking about steel it is cheap to buy, but the extra cost is getting it made to join up in the attic with the plates to join it, remember this has to be done right as in square and cut strait with plates and bolts to match as if not the whole attic will be off including the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

http://www.goldenpages.ie/steel-suppliers/

I have all the burning tools and welders to make them up. Its quite easy for me as I am a coded welder . But I still dont get how some companies can charge so much for such an easy job. 3k +. crazy stuff.

Under 1000 is a good price.

check around. Spend an hour on the phone and save a week or twos wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

I know of a few attic conversions that were done with flitch beams instead of rsj's. And they were signed off by a structural engineer

Advertisement