Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a House - Size of deposit and Questions to ask.

Options
  • 20-08-2011 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm looking at buying my first place and I was hoping people can help me with a few questions before I approach my bank for approval.

1) Deposit for House - I'm looking at a purchase price of max 120k which would be 3 times my salary. How much of a deposit should I have for this kind of house purchase (Obviously more is better) and how much in addition to this will I need to cover other costs like legal fees etc...?

2) when I buy a house what things do I need to look out for/ask? i.e. check if showers are electric, will all furniture be included in the house purchase, condition of pluming/electrics

What other things should I look out for?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

1. Deposit- its typical at the moment for a lender to seek a 15% deposit for a house and up to a 40-50% deposit for an apartment (many lenders won't lend at all for apartments, irrespective of the price).

2. What comes with the sale? Well- unless its expressly stated- its entirely possible that absolutely nothing comes with the sale. You need a schedule in advance of what is and what is not included with the sale. Its annoying but not unusual for a house to have absolutely nothing with it- and in some cases, even light fixtures etc may have been removed.

You will need to get a snaglist done by a competent surveyor, along with a structural survey- and get the list augmented/supplemented with anything you notice yourself.

Advertisement