Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What became of James O'Neill ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Mr_Hat wrote: »
    Was Ken O'Heiligh involved in getting Aldi and Lidel in to Drogheda. I'm sick of all his nonsense with the M1 Toll. I cant see that ever changing.

Nor can I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

I honestly cant see how he gets elected year after year. He's a bit useless and all we ever hear out of him is nonsense bout getting rid of the toll. Fat chance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

The OP was, where is James O Neill......the really sad thing was James was unemployed, here we clearly had a smart and determined man, with organisational ability, and yet at that time he was unemployed, and he was sooooo devoted to the German supermarket concept, surely the least they could do id fix him up with a job. Hope he is working now

• Registered Users Posts: 25 mornington man

Wow,
    What a reaction to a simple question about James' whereabouts. A lot of pent up feelings seem to have emerged. Anyway, James did great Community work in a lawful fashion at all times. Every town now has its Lidl and Aldi and sometimes a number of them. Thanks to James, Drogheda got them earlier as his intervention became part of the planning process. If you do not approve of Aldi/Lidl them don't shop there, its a free world!!

I last spoke to James some 3 months ago, and he indicated that he was considering emigrating to the USA. I do not know what happened subsequently, but he would be a loss to the town, if he did.;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Mr_Hat

Wow,

I last spoke to James some 3 months ago, and he indicated that he was considering emigrating to the USA. I do not know what happened subsequently, but he would be a loss to the town, if he did.;);)

Thats unfortunate, did I see something a while back about his son joining the American Army. Its a pity none of the german retailers offered him a job after all he did for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I know his son, he wants to join the American army.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

Biggins wrote: »
    Its two/three shops for gods sake!
    Are you seriously saying that those 2/3 shops are the demise of the centre of the town?
    Seriously?

Pure stupidity.

Again, for you seem to be deaf or blind the first time I said it - The arrival of the outer shopping industrial parks are the greater cause of West street being starved.

Biggins have you ever been involved in retail? Or more specifically, retail in Drogheda? Of course those 2/3 shops were greatly involved in the demise of the town. Their introduction completely changed the shape of the town an led to its decentralisation. They reinforced the negative effect of the retail parks and are right up there as the cause of shop closures in the west street area.

I'd also question if a town of this size needs two aldis, two lidls, two tescos, two dunnes and a supervalu. I would never be against the introduction of a certain shop that adds competition to the market but sensible planning is a must when dealing with stores of this size. Unfortunately, Drogheda was never privy to this and we're now flooded with 'superstores' that have destroyed our town.

Advertisement