Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when to stop boiling water

Options
  • 20-08-2011 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

my little fella has just turned 1 and i was wondering when is it okay to stop using cooled boiled water as his drinking water??

is it safe/ok to just give him tap water??

would usually as my mam but she passed away recently and now i have all these questions and no one to answer them so any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't know what the recommendation is, but I think I started giving my boy water from the filter jug at about 8 months.

Could you ring your PHN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

he is due to get this injections next week so will check with my doctor then

thanks for that heads not on properly and really should have thought of that myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I stopped at around 11/12 months with my two... you can always ask away here :) any other questions you may have.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

edellc wrote: »
    he is due to get this injections next week so will check with my doctor then

thanks for that heads not on properly and really should have thought of that myself :)

Totally understandable edellc, so sorry about the loss of your mother. Thinking of you. Xx

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

edellc wrote: »
    my little fella has just turned 1 and i was wondering when is it okay to stop using cooled boiled water as his drinking water??

is it safe/ok to just give him tap water??

would usually as my mam but she passed away recently and now i have all these questions and no one to answer them so any help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance
    A book I highly recommend talks about this : "Feed your child well", written by doctors from Temple St. hospital. They say to increase water intake as the volume of solid food increases. "Encourage your baby to drink from a cup from 6 months of age. Give freshly drawn tap water from a trainer cup with meals." (P75)
    This is what we did with our son who is now 14 months. He's had tap water since he was 6 months old. No problem!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

A book I highly recommend talks about this : "Feed your child well", written by doctors from Temple St. hospital. They say to increase water intake as the volume of solid food increases. "Encourage your baby to drink from a cup from 6 months of age. Give freshly drawn tap water from a trainer cup with meals." (P75)
    This is what we did with our son who is now 14 months. He's had tap water since he was 6 months old. No problem!

Do you mean from a sippy cup or an actual proper cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We never boiled the water and never heard of it before. Is it just a country thing where the water is dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I wouldn't think that city water is any less dodgy than in the country, lived in Dublin for years and cant say water was great half the time.
    If you are unsure, you can get it tested. We are not on the mains water so I got our water tested and as it was on the higher end of recommended levels for safe water I decided to keep boiling it for her until she is at least 1yr, just for peace of mind really, its probably ok.

ted1 wrote: »
    We never boiled the water and never heard of it before. Is it just a country thing where the water is dodgy?

It's recommended to use cooled boiled water so it's sterile for baby...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

We stopped giving him cooled boiled water when he turned one. So I guess, if the water is safe for you to drink where ever you live, you can take it it's good enough for him.

Sorry to read about your mum xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

xzanti wrote: »
    Do you mean from a sippy cup or an actual proper cup?

I can't talk for who wrote this paragraph in the book.

What I did very early was to get my son used to different recipients: sippy cups, proper cups, free flow cups, straw cups... that he can hold himself, plastic glass & glass glass that I hold for him... I see if it works and take it from there, re-introduce later if needed... I don't feel I have to be stuck with one way of doing things and it works wonders with our son.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My one will not drink water or juice. We've tried giving her her sippy cup from 6 months but she just plays with it and if I hold it for her she pushes it away if it has water in it.

She will drink anything from normal glass / beaker if we hold it but she ends up saturated. Can't wait till she can hold a beaker. We tried every possible type of lidded thing from the baby section in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    My one will not drink water or juice. We've tried giving her her sippy cup from 6 months but she just plays with it and if I hold it for her she pushes it away if it has water in it.

She will drink anything from normal glass / beaker if we hold it but she ends up saturated. Can't wait till she can hold a beaker. We tried every possible type of lidded thing from the baby section in the supermarket.

i'm guessing you've tried holding the sippy cup for her, rather than let her hold it.
    Our little one (who's 6 months today :-) ) doesn't seem to understand that it needs to go into her mouth rather than her ear, but she's no issue drinking from it if i hold it for her

January wrote: »

It's recommended to use cooled boiled water so it's sterile for baby...

Recommended by who? In what country? Our water is safe to drink and its no harm to get the little ones used to the local bacteri. Do you practice the five second rule?

Recommended by who? In what country? Our water is safe to drink and its no harm to get the little ones used to the local bacteri. Do you practice the five second rule?

It might be safe to drink, but the boiled water is actually to sterilise the formula. You make up the bottle by using boiled water and let it cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Are you on drugs???. You never give a baby tap water it must always be cooled boiled water..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I started giving our buck tap water when he was nearly fully weaned onto cow's milk, around 11 months. At this stage, he was putting everything in his mouth anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭upinthesky

7 months for a drink
    my lad is 9 months and i use tap water not boiled for his formula just put the water in the bottle pop it in the microwave and add the formula!!

Corkie, I hope your being sarcastic...

January, that's the first mention of formula in this thread. Are we talking about water in general or water solely for making up formula?

• Advertisement

January, that's the first mention of formula in this thread. Are we talking about water in general or water solely for making up formula?

Sorry, it seems I didn't read the first post correctly. It is important to note however that not all tap water is safe (remember the water in Galway a few years ago) and it's always a parents choice what they give to their children. Your baby may not have become sick by giving them tap water, but another baby may be a bit more prone to bugs etc and pick up the tiniest little thing.

If you want to feed your child tap water that's fine, but other parents choose the safe route and give sterilised cooled boiled water to drink, nobody should be scoffed at for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Are you on drugs???.
    Corkie, I hope your being sarcastic...

Drugs and sarcasm are a bad mixture. I would like to refer both of you to the personal abuse section of the charter. Attack the post not the poster thanks.

Advertisement