Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Hall Personal Statement/Essay

Options
  • 20-08-2011 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm looking for information about the personal statement that we have to write on applications for Trinity Halls accommodation. The CAO offers come out Monday and I'm pretty sure I got my course. I'd really like to be prepared for this in advance, so that I can just apply for a room and then forget about all this stressful college stuff for a few days :eek:

So how long does the statement have to be? And is it still split into separate sections, ie hobbies and interests, reasons you want to stay there, etc.?

I know there are already quite a few threads about the Trinity Halls accommodation, but most of them are pretty old at this point and I'd really like a more up-to date answer :) Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Maybe_Memories

Last year I got in with the whole "hobbies, why you want to stay there" route.
    This year I got in with "I was a recluse last year and want another chance to meet people." :p

A sentence on why you want to stay, and list a few hobbies or whatever and I'd say you'd be grand..

Now I can't say for certain, but I'm 99% certain Halls is done on a first come first served basis...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

The personal statement isn't used to decide who gets a place, but rather who lives with whom. They try to put people with similar interests or people doing similar courses together. Just a quick note on your hobbies and interests should be fine :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

No need for much concentration or worry on that, anything simple/obvious will do. If you're smart enough to get Trinity points, then any simple rubbish to fill in the box will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 eputsca

Okay thanks! :) I guess I'm just stressing out because my friend knew a perfectly nice girl from Northern Ireland (about the same distance away from Dublin as I am, and I know they take that into account) who didn't get a room in Halls. This just feels like the last hurdle before I can actually start looking forward to college :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

OT but do they put that ridculous looking bunting up every year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

how much is it? im only a bus away but maybe maybe next year i might try for accomodation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

how much is it? im only a bus away but maybe maybe next year i might try for accomodation?

You'd be paying more than what you are now for worse, shared accommodation with restricted internet and freedom. You'd be mad to take accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Jehuty42 wrote: »
    You'd be paying more than what you are now for worse, shared accommodation with restricted internet and freedom. You'd be mad to take accommodation.
    Restricted 100Mb internet, that you can't do illegal things on.. And all those restrictions, like not being a total dick to your housemates or not being allowed drink outside.
    You also have the plus sides of-**** fast internet that you can do *almost* anything on, you're surrounded by like minded people, with similar interests to you that are your own age (as opposed to me right now. I currently live with my landlord on a street full of 90-something year olds. Get me back to student accommodation NOW!) and also, if something goes wrong, it's not that big a deal. The rooms are industrial, as you would expect, but not uncomfortable. Kitchen facilities are fine, there's a launderette in halls...
    It has everything you need.

Sure, it's expensive, but not that much more expensive. Get me an apartment in dublin city centre for cheaper than halls including 100Mb internet, central heating, electric shower, and with on-site security, and I'll humour your arguements then.

TL;DR
    Halls is great for first year, you'd be******* nuts not to go there.

The link to halls though isnt so reliable or so I have been told. The only real restrictions are the ports the proxy will allow, so you cant game, and some streaming clients wont work etc.

But yeah, halls is a little expensive, but you wont have any hassle and you'll be with all TCD peers, if I didnt live in Dublin I would make every effort to stay there.

The link to halls though isnt so reliable or so I have been told. The only real restrictions are the ports the proxy will allow, so you cant game, and some streaming clients wont work etc.

But yeah, halls is a little expensive, but you wont have any hassle and you'll be with all TCD peers, if I didnt live in Dublin I would make every effort to stay there.

128 runs every ten mintues, It's now a 140, so new timetable.
    Luas is less than 10 mins away, and it's a 15 minute cycle from town!

• Advertisement

Groinshot wrote: »
    128 runs every ten mintues, It's now a 140, so new timetable.
    Luas is less than 10 mins away, and it's a 15 minute cycle from town!

You misunderstand, I mean the fibre link for the internet. The connection is run through the campus.

15 mins, little slow there, its 13 from mine and I'm churchtown(far side of halls).

You misunderstand, I mean the fibre link for the internet. The connection is run through the campus.

15 mins, little slow there, its 13 from mine and I'm churchtown(far side of halls).

Ah, sorry. I know a fair bit about that network :P
    It is a tad unreliable, but not so much that it's worrying. I don't think it went down for more than 4 or 5 hours at all last year.
    15 minutes is generous, for someone who doesn't cycle. I did it in just under 7 minutes one day...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Should be once you get an offer, but more than likely at some stage this afternoon. The rooms aren't on a first come first serve basis anyway.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm waiting too, got my course this morning. It says there's a delay of a few hours so maybe just check back at lunchtime. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Groinshot wrote: »
    Should be once you get an offer, but more than likely at some stage this afternoon. The rooms aren't on a first come first serve basis anyway.

What basis is it?

Still waiting to apply too.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    What basis is it?

Still waiting to apply too.

God knows. Official line is those personal statements, so I would say it is them. Myself and two friends applied within 10 minutes of each other, I was last to apply. Two of us got it, one didn't.

How strange.

How strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭YodaBoy

Ok so I want to pen a draft before the site starts running. What type of length are we talking about?? 100 words? Just hobbies on it???

• Advertisement

Just applied there.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Just applied there.

Still says User not recognised for me!

1800 characters? Looks like I'll be cutting down just a little bit...

Still says User not recognised for me!

Hmm maybe it takes a while after you accept,what time did you accept? I was about 6 am.

I only did about 700 characters.

Oh, and for those of you doing a draft- that's 1800 characters including spaces. Because, y'know, Trinity is just old-fashioned like that >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Snow joke

eputsca wrote: »
    I'm looking for information about the personal statement that we have to write on applications for Trinity Halls accommodation. The CAO offers come out Monday and I'm pretty sure I got my course. I'd really like to be prepared for this in advance, so that I can just apply for a room and then forget about all this stressful college stuff for a few days :eek:

So how long does the statement have to be? And is it still split into separate sections, ie hobbies and interests, reasons you want to stay there, etc.?

I know there are already quite a few threads about the Trinity Halls accommodation, but most of them are pretty old at this point and I'd really like a more up-to date answer :) Thanks.

Applying to Trinity Hall is NOT first come first serve by any means, nor is it based on points. Write your about me statement describing yourself, your interests and hobbies. You would be more likely to get accommodation if you choose to share a room and incoming first years will be able to create their account within 48 hours of getting their offer. So don't worry if you can't create an account right away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭irishgirl10

Is it first come, first served?

Damn,now I hope I get in. I went for a single.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Snow joke

Damn,now I hope I get in. I went for a single.

Relax. If you dont succeed at first, call trinity halls and ask to change your application from a single to a share. There really is no deadline for applying.

Advertisement