Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hook Head

Options
  • 21-08-2011 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hey chaps!

Trying to organise a trip to Hook Head for a bit of fossil hunting. Does anyone know the best spot there for fossils? Maybe with co-ords from Google earth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Sorry but I don't have a clue. Never been there myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Anyone else expecting to see a bizarre hook headed dinosaur looking back at them when they opened this thread? No?

Seriously though, never been myself. I think Wibbs may well have. Try asking him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IIRC there's a good mixture in that neck of the woods. Carboniferous limestone and early mudstones. Good chance of finding decent fossils in the area. I got some decent crinoid fossils there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I'm heading down during the week. Will they be exposed, or will I need to dig?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Along the coastline they're pretty exposed so you should be OK. I wouldn't advise digging anyway. Palaeontologists almost never do without establishing there's something to be found. It's nearly always surface stuff(hence most fossils come from deserts and cliffs etc). Go for the cliff faces and stuff eroded out from them D and you won't go far wrong.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I ordered a small fossil toolkit, just a hammer, chissel, rock/fossil guide and some protective goggles. Should do the trick. Thanks Wibby! :)

Forgot to say good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Dont forget to show us photos of anything you find :)

Thanks, and I will! :)

Got my little fossil toolkit Friday.. Gunna head out during the week, weather prevailing :) No idea what I'm looking for, but that's all a part of the fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

If your still down there be sure and visit Booley Bay. Home of Ediacaria and Nimbia. Which are members of the Ediacaria. Making them pre cambrian. There protected so no souvenirs I'm afraid.

Booley Bay has a grid ref of 750060, 05812

Oh and have a take a peak at the limestone fossil beds near the lighhouse. There excellent
    and take a look around Hook Head 73456, 98930 (Grid ref) lots of Crinods,, trilobites, Bryzoans and braicopds.

Unfortunatly the head and lighthouse are also protected. So please dont remove anything from the beds. But if they have broken off there fair game ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

dlofnep wrote: »
    Got my little fossil toolkit Friday.. Gunna head out during the week, weather prevailing :) No idea what I'm looking for, but that's all a part of the fun.

What did you find?

Sorry guys - I've been in hospital and had health problems for the past 2 weeks, so I haven't had a chance to make it down yet. Hope to go down during the week at some point!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

No need to apologise for being unwell. Just get well soon, and good luck.:)

Advertisement