Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

when does rugby begin?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

probably set for UCD, planning on playing rugby, whats the story with signing up is there somewhere to go or do you just show up at training and around what date do things kick off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

probably set for UCD, planning on playing rugby, whats the story with signing up is there somewhere to go or do you just show up at training and around what date do things kick off?

Osk Fiontan har har!

Youll have to wait until college exhibit day extravagansa, youre thinking at least a month ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Presumably if you are coming to UCD for the first time you're going to be playing u20s? Training for the u20s is on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7. Hasn't started back yet though. It will be starting back when college starts up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Presumably if you are coming to UCD for the first time you're going to be playing u20s? Training for the u20s is on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7. Hasn't started back yet though. It will be starting back when college starts up again.

whats the team like....any stats?....size of your flankers/locks?...how good are your wingers?...any trophys?

brownlad wrote: »
    whats the team like....any stats?....size of your flankers/locks?...how good are your wingers?...any trophys?

Which team? u20s personnel changes every year obviously, so no info on individual players. But the UCD u20s are consistently one of the best teams in Leinster. They won their league last year. The Bs also had a very good run last year winning their cup. Both are a high standard, while the Cs are more geared at those that want to play rugby but not take it too seriously.

At senior level the 1sts won promotion to AIL 1b, losing only one game all season, and have kept the same squad together this season (hard to do for a college team) so will be strong. J1s won their league, going unbeaten all season while the J2s and J4s also had very good seasons.

That help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Which team? u20s personnel changes every year obviously, so no info on individual players. But the UCD u20s are consistently one of the best teams in Leinster. They won their league last year. The Bs also had a very good run last year winning their cup. Both are a high standard, while the Cs are more geared at those that want to play rugby but not take it too seriously.

At senior level the 1sts won promotion to AIL 1b, losing only one game all season, and have kept the same squad together this season (hard to do for a college team) so will be strong. J1s won their league, going unbeaten all season while the J2s and J4s also had very good seasons.

That help?

do you have to sign up during freshers week or can you just turn up to training?

• Advertisement

Not sure about u20s tbh, I didn't play with UCD at u20 level so not sure what the deal is, but at junior level people don't join via freshers week, you just turn up. I'll find out for you if you want.

Also, J2 and J4 training has started back (Monday and Wednesday nights at 7) so if anyone out there wants to play come on down. The more the merrier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

do you have to sign up during freshers week or can you just turn up to training?

Rugby and football are unusual in terms of clubs in ucd because they have streaming (probably because they are semi-pro). Your background in rugby will be taken into account + I think there might be trials. As with all other sports, you sign up at the sports expo in the sports' centre (19th September - 22nd)

Rugby and football are unusual in terms of clubs in ucd because they have streaming (probably because they are semi-pro). Your background in rugby will be taken into account + I think there might be trials. As with all other sports, you sign up at the sports expo in the sports' centre (19th September - 22nd)

trials? dammit if im injured? tf do i do bro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

Will there be loike massive screens up in college for the Rugby World Cup? It is loike the biggest rugby competition out there roight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Will there be loike massive screens up in college for the Rugby World Cup? It is loike the biggest rugby competition out there roight?
    Congratulations, you get the first infraction of the new academic year.

Insulting other members is not allowed, for more information on what is and isn't allowed, take a look at the Forum Charter

• Advertisement

brownlad wrote: »
    trials? dammit if im injured? tf do i do bro?

There are no trials. You train together and are separated into As Bs and Cs, with a lot of interchange between them, depending on your level of ability. There is a team for everyone.

If you're injured then go along to one of the first training sessions and make yourself know to the coaches, that you want to play for the year but are injured at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Jimmy Magee

Are the lightweights automatically put into team C?

There are no trials. You train together and are separated into As Bs and Cs, with a lot of interchange between them, depending on your level of ability. There is a team for everyone.

If you're injured then go along to one of the first training sessions and make yourself know to the coaches, that you want to play for the year but are injured at the moment.

thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭pollypigwash

Not sure about u20s tbh, I didn't play with UCD at u20 level so not sure what the deal is, but at junior level people don't join via freshers week, you just turn up. I'll find out for you if you want.

Also, J2 and J4 training has started back (Monday and Wednesday nights at 7) so if anyone out there wants to play come on down. The more the merrier :)

Where is the J2 and J4 training? I'm starting in UCD soon but I am old, haggered, unfit, broken, certainly not U20 but I am looking to relive the glory days!

Are the lightweights automatically put into team C?

If you're good, no.
    Where is the J2 and J4 training? I'm starting in UCD soon but I am old, haggered, unfit, broken, certainly not U20 but I am looking to relive the glory days!

We've been training on the Thornfield pitches, which are behind the all-weather pitch. First match is not until September 10th so nows a good time to come down and get settled in.

We've been training on the Thornfield pitches, which are behind the all-weather pitch. First match is not until September 10th so nows a good time to come down and get settled in.

Thanks for that. I won't be in Dublin until the 5th of Sept so might see ye that night. Are there changing rooms there or do ye just use the Pavillion or whatever its called. Not having a student card yet I won't have access to the sports centre or anything like that until later that week.

Thanks for that. I won't be in Dublin until the 5th of Sept so might see ye that night. Are there changing rooms there or do ye just use the Pavillion or whatever its called. Not having a student card yet I won't have access to the sports centre or anything like that until later that week.

Normally during the season we get changed in the changing facilities attached to the Bowl. Excellent facilities. But as the college hasn't got back into the swing of things yet they're not open so we've just been turning up ready to go and shower at home, but that will change when college starts back proper in September.

Also fyi, you don't need a student card to have access to the sports centre. The gym changing rooms are private and you need a code to get in, but there are public changing rooms as well.

Normally during the season we get changed in the changing facilities attached to the Bowl. Excellent facilities. But as the college hasn't got back into the swing of things yet they're not open so we've just been turning up ready to go and shower at home, but that will change when college starts back proper in September.

Also fyi, you don't need a student card to have access to the sports centre. The gym changing rooms are private and you need a code to get in, but there are public changing rooms as well.

Sound I'm up from the 5th so if I've finished moving in I'll be down that night if not I'll see you Friday.

Sound I'm up from the 5th so if I've finished moving in I'll be down that night if not I'll see you Friday.

It's Mondays and Wednesdays, but if you want to train by yourself on Friday I won't stop you :)

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 El Bandito

How bad is U-20 "pre-season" fitness?....or is there any? Could well be the death of me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

is the freshers team and the U-20's the same thing? can you play on the freshers team if you're a 2nd year but U-20 range?

El Bandito wrote: »
    How bad is U-20 "pre-season" fitness?....or is there any? Could well be the death of me :o

It's tough, but it won't kill you. ;)
    is the freshers team and the U-20's the same thing? can you play on the freshers team if you're a 2nd year but U-20 range?

They're the same thing, just never really heard them called the freshers team. They're the u20s, so yeah the college year you're in doesn't matter, its just your age. Its the same as any sports team that's not associated to a college, except that it is associated to a college.

Advertisement