Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Hurricane IRENE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

gbee , do you think that your an expert and the only person that should comment on the thread or something ??

Pangea and everyone else , have every right to comment on the thread and say what they want without you making snide remarks ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Aw guys.....can't we all just get along??!!!!

Irene has run its course, as has this bickering. Let's leave it at that...please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Pangea wrote: »
    I posted something that you posted an hour before (which I never noticed in the first place).

No, actually I did not, another forum member posted the 8AM update and concluded a confusion which resolved both the status of the Irene and the photo that was reposted as Irene which was a picture of a supercell.

Even before the 8am advisory both the weather channel and CNN were reporting below hurricane status from their on site reporters.

This was part of the discussion. Accuweather were also questioning why Irene 'still had hurricane status' but their reports were not 'live'

Facts, the hurricane hunter was tasked to an hourly mission instead of their three hourly mission.

A bigger picture is the fact that Irene was 'officially' a Hurricane when ground reports were already disputing this. The 8am advisory laid cold that Irene was still officially a Cat1 Hurricane, but she was not, and within and hour she was downgraded.

It's quite an important issue and I'm sure thee will be questions why a storm is officially classed as a hurricane and the reporters are not supporting this and then the schedule is changed to send the hurricane hunter plane hourly, instead of three hourly is significant.

All this was breaking when you made your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

A bit of a damp squib really. As with everything out here, hyped to death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Spread wrote: »
    A bit of a damp squib really. As with everything out here, hyped to death.
    Only 20 people dead, nothing to have been concerned about. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Better a damp squib than a drowned city.

I can't understand why on the News they are still reporting that Obama says the danger is not over - does the storm surge come a bit later but if so why are the evacuated people being allowed to return home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Better a damp squib than a drowned city.

I can't understand why on the News they are still reporting that Obama says the danger is not over - does the storm surge come a bit later but if so why are the evacuated people being allowed to return home?

I guess some rivers are running high and with a combination of high tides it may cause flooding after the event.

Joe Public wrote: »
    I guess some rivers are running high and with a combination of high tides it may cause flooding after the event.

Indeed, Vermont has some spectacular flooding and a large building is being undermined by torrent of biblical proportions from what used to be a babbling brook.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20110829/NEWS02/110829004/Devastation-widespread-Vermont-after-Irene-blows-through?odyssey=mod|defcon|text|FRONTPAGE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Su Campu wrote: »
    Aw guys.....can't we all just get along??!!!!

Irene has run its course, as has this bickering. Let's leave it at that...please!

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Only 20 people dead, nothing to have been concerned about. :rolleyes:

Try and contextualise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Try and contextualise it.
    The context, A 500 mile wide Category1 hurricane moving along a densely populated coastline, leaving 20 dead and up to 5 million without power.
    The human response to the fact Irene didn't cause as much death and destruction as she could have should be "Pheww, not as bad as expected, we/they were lucky", what do we get? Meh "storm in a teacup" "media hype"......Wow!! people are unbelievable.
    Ever heard the expression "better safe than sorry"? I suppose you knew how the storm would develop last Friday.

The context, A 500 mile wide Category1 hurricane moving along a densely populated coastline, leaving 20 dead and up to 5 million without power.
    The human response to the fact Irene didn't cause as much death and destruction as she could have should be "Pheww, not as bad as expected, we/they were lucky", what do we get? Meh "storm in a teacup" "media hype"......Wow!! people are unbelievable.
    Ever heard the expression "better safe than sorry"? I suppose you knew how the storm would develop last Friday.

I can only talk for where I live. But I've been reading and watching news for a long time. They TMK do not downplay events. We are 5 miles outside a town of 25k. About a dozen trees down, three streets had flooding - which lasted for a few hours - a four hour outtage in a few areas and a few branches on the roads. People had tidied up/pinned down their property/gardens in advance. As for knowing how it would develop? I certainly knew how the hype would develop.
    In the area affected by Irene, because people stayed indoors mostly, the amount of road accident deaths reduced would be more than 3 per day per State. Add in the reduction in workplace accidents and you'll find that Irene saved more lives than she took. These are the facts.

I can only talk for where I live. But I've been reading and watching news for a long time. They TMK do not downplay events. We are 5 miles outside a town of 25k. About a dozen trees down, three streets had flooding - which lasted for a few hours - a four hour outtage in a few areas and a few branches on the roads. People had tidied up/pinned down their property/gardens in advance. As for knowing how it would develop? I certainly knew how the hype would develop.
    In the area affected by Irene, because people stayed indoors mostly, the amount of road accident deaths reduced would be more than 3 per day per State. Add in the reduction in workplace accidents and you'll find that Irene saved more lives than she took. These are the facts.
    Flawed logic, Irene didn't save these lives, the warnings and "media hype" did, if people didn't stay indoors there would be the normal number plus those from the storm.

Not only you, nobody knew how things would develop, the media picked up on warnings (that is what media does) that were necessary and expected from the various services. Moaning because "everything went better than expected" isn't the brightest of attitudes.

Flawed logic, .................

It may be flawed but it is a fact. Less people died accidental deaths during Irene .......... in the affected States. If this statement is wrong, please indicate how. Agus as Bearla! :)

It may be flawed but it is a fact. Less people died accidental deaths during Irene .......... in the affected States. If this statement is wrong, please indicate how. Agus as Bearla! :)
    The statement is correct, and it is correct because of the warnings and hype you are moaning about, if it wasn't for them more would have died.
    How can you complain about something that saved lives :)

Complaining? Jeez! I said it was a damp squib. Not the firework it was supposed to morph into. I guess my gripe was with the meejia. That's two weeks on the trot. The massive earthquake that was here last week barely made my hand quiver as I put petrol in the car. So you can understand why I feel a little cheated out of those rare happenings. Or can Corkmen NEVER understand Kerrymen? :o

Or can Corkmen NEVER understand Kerrymen? :o
    Ahhh....now it becomes clear :D
    I should know better than argue with those from across the western borders.

The season isn't over yet, you might get a Cat 5 if you keep your fingers crossed or maybe a force 9.5 if you are lucky :)

Ahhh....now it becomes clear :D
    I should know better than argue with those from across the western borders.

The season isn't over yet, you might get a Cat 5 if you keep your fingers crossed or maybe a force 9.5 if you are lucky :)

Yo Bro!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Total rainfall July 27-28 (26-27 NC only) and maximum sustained 2-min wind speed in mph, add 20-30 mph for estimated max gusts:

working from south to north, starting with NC stations (min 3.00" or 40 mph to appear on list at all) -- source NWS ... a sample of major weather stations and high end values from co-op stations under "storm totals" marked **

Wilmington NC ... 6.56" 48 mph NW
    Scotland Neck NC ... 9.80" **
    Norfolk VA ..... 8.10" 48 mph NNE
    Richmond VA ... 5.37" 46 mph N
    Wallops Island VA ... 6.62" 51 mph ENE
    Washington Nat'l (DCA) ... 3.83" 45 mph NNW
    Baltimore MD..... 4.69" and 35 mph NE
    Salisbury, eMD ... 6.08" 46 mph NE
    Wilmington DE .... 6.94" 38 mph NNE & W
    Allentown PA .... 5.01" 38 mph NW
    Mt Pocono PA ... 5.30" 37 mph NW
    Philadelphia PA ... 5.70" 40 mph NE
    Avoca PA ..... 3.73" 39 mph N
    Atlantic City NJ ... 5.88" 40 mph NE
    Trenton NJ .... 5.74" 35 mph E
    Newark NJ ..... 8.92" 45 mph W
    New York JFK ... 5.03" 46 mph W
    New York LGA ... 5.69" 52 mph ENE
    NYC Central Park ... 6.87" 32 mph ENE
    Poughkeepsie NY .... 7.14" 26 mph W
    Whiteface Mtn NY ... 7.55" **
    Albany NY ....... 4.83" 37 mph W
    Islip, NY .... 3.03" 33 mph W
    Bridgeport CT .... 3.35" 46 mph E
    Hartford CT .... 5.23" 35 mph SE
    Burlington, CT ... 9.50" **
    Providence RI ... 1.98" 43 mph S
    Boston MA .... 1.68" 46 mph S
    Worcester MA ... 4.35" 38 mph SE
    Conway, MA .... 9.92" **
    Bolton, VT .... 8.30" **
    Rutland, VT .... 3.59" 23 mph NW
    Francestown, NH ... 5.95" **
    Concord, NH ... 3.07" 30 mph SE
    Maine, generally 2-3" rain and Portland 40 mph SSE

There may be some co-op stations in NJ, VA or MD that exceeded 10" of rain
    but these reports have come and gone. Highest wind GUSTS reported about 120 mph on NC coast and 83 mph near Block Island RI. Embedded tornado in NJ that damaged or destroyed about 15 homes probably had highest wind speeds of the storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

Despite the overall muted impact of Irene on tens of millions of people who may have been expecting worse, there are pockets of severe damage from flooding in Vermont, upstate New York and New Jersey. Some of this flooding continues even today, in other cases the waters subsided yesterday and left an unholy mess. There were also some impacts in Quebec including one death and several close calls when a road was washed out in the pre-dawn darkness on Monday and at least two cars drove into the river, two people survived that but one is missing and presumed drowned.

Six years since Katrina and three years since Ike (roughly). This is really the first significant hurricane landfall in the U.S. since 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

is it going to be dropped as a name in future??

I would guess so, but it's not an obvious case.

Goodnight Irene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭unitedrover

Depends on number of deaths and damage caused.

Depends on number of deaths and damage caused.

Yes, it was nasty enough and it had killed six I believe in the Bahamas before reaching the US mainland. Those floods were even worse than excepted.

I'd suspect it just might be retired, it dodged all the major hurricane killers, dry air off Africa in the beginning, Hispaniola, and was strengthening despite breathing super dry Texas air.

Considering what it took to keep it a Cat 3 and below, it's one amazing system ~ I said earlier in this thread, it was like a live thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

The Canadian Weather Service finished up with Irene on Monday. Gotta love the final sign off...
    WOCN31 CWHX 292045
    INTERMEDIATE TROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION STATEMENT UPDATED BY THE
    CANADIAN HURRICANE CENTRE OF ENVIRONMENT CANADA AT 5:45 PM ADT MONDAY
    29 AUGUST 2011.
    INTERMEDIATE TROPICAL CYCLONE INFORMATION STATEMENT FOR:
    ATLANTIC PROVINCES
    SOUTHERN QUEBEC.

FOR POST-TROPICAL STORM IRENE.

THIS IS THE FINAL STATEMENT BY THE CHC OF ON THIS STORM.

GOOD NIGHT, IRENE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

what are the chances of another Wilma happening ?

avn-l.jpg

A lot of weather below Cuba and I remember from when hurricane Wilma roled through florida, it basically formed out of nothing, south of Cuba and intensified into a monster. Was just looking at that image and it reminded me of when Wilma formed and when I used to read this site :: http://www.thestormtrack.com/

http://www.thestormtrack.com/2005/10/tropical_depression_24_forms_i.php
    http://www.thestormtrack.com/2005/10/wilma_reaches_hurricane_streng.php

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

Ricky I am amazed at your post because when I first got interested in real weather boards that was my favorite site! What memories you jolted me into ha ha.
    Here is where I go now....I hope you grow to like it.
    http://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=111658&start=520

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I've never been to that site before, I'll certainly check it out :) I must admit, I've been a bit of nomad since thestormtrack closed down. It was my go-to-place for all my hurricane needs and then poof, the reports stopped happening and I've had nowhere to go. maybe that can fill the void :

I'm more of a reader than a poster though I must admit ;)

Advertisement