Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane IRENE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Cnn said risk of tornadoes in NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Ln44y.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Su Campu wrote: »
    You do know of course that that's not a hurricane?

EH what is it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Hurricane IRENE
    ...IRENE MAKES LANDFALL ALONG THE COAST OF NEW JERSEY NEAR LITTLE EGG INLET...
    5:40 AM EDT Sun Aug 28
    Max sustained: 75 mph
    Moving: NNE at 18 mph
    Min pressure: 959 mb

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

jimmynokia wrote: »
    EH what is it

It's a hurricane until the National Hurricane Center classifies it otherwise.

• Advertisement

It's a hurricane until the National Hurricane Center classifies it otherwise.

emmm ok whats su campu on about then saying its not

They said on CNN next update on classification is at 8, which I take is 13:00 our time.
    They expect it to be classified a tropical storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Pangea wrote: »
    They said on CNN next update is at 8, which I take is 13:00 our time. They expect it to be graded a tropical storm.

Because on live TV there are local reports that are giving local readings that indicate that Irene is a TS but they also say they need to wait for the aircraft's next flight to make it official.

It's down to about 55~60MPH right now.

The very latest advisory from the NHC, just out now :
    Hurricane IRENE
    ...CENTER OF IRENE NEARING NEW YORK CITY...
    8:00 AM EDT Sun Aug 28
    Moving: NNE at 25 mph
    Min pressure: 963 mb
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 75 MPH...120 KM/H...WITH
    HIGHER GUSTS. IRENE IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE
    SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/281152.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

jimmynokia wrote: »
    emmm ok whats su campu on about then saying its not

I believe Su Campu was referring to the photo you posted that is doing the rounds on the web claiming to be an image of the Hurricane approaching NC. It is not a picture of the hurricane.

• Advertisement

That settles that then, the picture not a hurricane and officially as just reported Irene is Still a Cat 1.

Though, on the ground they are still discussing this and their handheld are reading much lower. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

If anybody wants to see some decent live footage of the storm as it approaches NYC and Long Island, there is a feed here from CNN and coverage is good: http://www.justin.tv/newsbuffs#/w/1683866912/3

John King Rob Marciano in Long Beach getting a battering and it hasn't really hit there properly yet. Just watched a two story building floating away and smashing into the boardwalk.

I believe Su Campu was referring to the photo you posted that is doing the rounds on the web claiming to be an image of the Hurricane approaching NC. It is not a picture of the hurricane.

hmm is see so maybe she should of suggested that rather than been funny about it LOL!
    ITS all over the net stating its irene so its not our fault :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Bit of a understatement, ''A few clouds" :D

image.png
    image uploader

It is still a hurricane the 8am advisory said.

NOW, Irene is a TS.

It is still a hurricane the 8am advisory said.

That's and hour old already.

gbee wrote: »
    That's and hour old already.

Yeah so, just letting people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Latest Email from my Uncle in NJ

" Garden has become a pond. 12 hrs of rain to go. Irene has just hit NY. Another Sunday morning.‏"

172377.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Yes I was referring to the photo. We see the same old photos popping up when a hurricane makes the news, but they're actually just supercells.

• Advertisement

Yeah so, just letting people know.
    The very latest advisory from the NHC, just out now :

Quote:
    Hurricane IRENE
    ...CENTER OF IRENE NEARING NEW YORK CITY...
    8:00 AM EDT Sun Aug 28
    Moving: NNE at 25 mph
    Min pressure: 963 mb
    Quote:
    MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 75 MPH...120 KM/H...WITH
    HIGHER GUSTS. IRENE IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE
    SAFFIR-SIMPSON HURRICANE WIND SCALE.
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh...l/281152.shtml

Was already posted by maquiladora so I think we had that cleared up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Tropical storm here in SW NH. Raining heavy since 3:30am, winds more blustery than stormy .......... 45 - 65mph. Rain expected to get much heavier later on. Local power outtages.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

OT I know, when are the remnants of this, depending on track etc, likely to hit us?

TheFairy wrote: »
    OT I know, when are the remnants of this, depending on track etc, likely to hit us?

Who's us? If you mean Ireland, then an earlier answer suggests no and a counter to that is it's too far out for models to give any indications.

Historically it's common enough ~ a lot of our broken weather recently could be traced back to a series of 'failed' waves and TS remnants and some that just got torn apart.

Was already posted by maquiladora so I think we had that cleared up.

This is a weather forum, on a constant updated thread there will be similar posts ,get over it!!! You are not a mod and I can post whatever I want to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

GFS shows Irene hanging around Greenland/Iceland much of the week and us saved by a Blocking High , José does not make it across at all.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    GFS shows Irene hanging around Greenland/Iceland much of the week and us saved by a Blocking High , José does not make it across at all.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

A miserable few days for Iceland. Even more so than usual...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Post-mortem on Irene ...

It turned out to be a moderate impact storm, not quite as bad as many had been fearing in the northeast U.S., but in places quite extensive damage.

The track turned out almost exactly between the Euro and the GFS/GEM, making a grazing landfall in central New Jersey, then the remnants of the eye coming ashore right over New York City around 9 a.m. Sunday. By then the intensity had fallen to strong tropical storm with isolated hurricane force gusts further east.

The storm came very close to the 1821 track but was only about half to two-thirds as strong as that hurricane. Coastal flooding in New York City was somewhat limited and the saving element was the gradual turn in winds to less favourable directions. The surge was quite a bit higher just east of the city around Long Beach and parts of central Long Island. Long Island Sound took more of a hit due to the long-duration east to southeast winds and there were some homes swept away around New Haven CT.

Inland flooding while serious and not a finished deal yet, was probably just below the emergency outcome that many had feared, but no doubt there are some bad situations this afternoon (local time) with rivers either flooding or backing up from coastal storm surges.

I think we can give this storm about a 6 on the 10 point scale of devastation where the general expectation among the public and their elected officials was more like an 8. But the authorities have to warn on the higher side of probability in these situations to avoid unnecessary deaths and also to cover their butts in case the storm decides to intensify when it's too late to respond.

The after-effects of Irene for Ireland appear to be limited to a wave of cloud and showers that may come through on Friday night and Saturday with one model (GEM) showing some rather significant development in the trough -- all four models that I regularly consult show Irene's remnant dying out close to Iceland, but they all have some hint of a frontal trough to the south that passes Ireland about Friday night into Saturday, so we'll be watching that for any changes -- but I wouldn't be expecting winds any stronger than about 35-40 mph gusts from the maps so far, or rainfalls much more than 10-15 mms, so just your normal July day sort of thing. :rolleyes:

This is a weather forum, on a constant updated thread there will be similar posts ,get over it!!! You are not a mod and I can post whatever I want to.

I think you've been up all night and may not have been on top of this event as much as you'd like to think so.

As is so happens when we were discussing the Cat1 status of Irene she was in fact sub hurricane just as the people on the ground were reporting.

At 9.05 you posted the latest advisory, but in fact there was another advisory at 9pm, they stepped up the reporting period to one hour from three hours.

As you say, this is a fast moving forum at times and I know I've been up all night and we all make mistakes and we do in fact get over it.

You are just being disingenuous. I would have expected you to say thanks for the update, I take back my post, but instead you seem to have got a bee in your bonnet.

I don't make the reports, at the time you posted, even though you were contributing actively in the thread and you had to have seen the post I refereed to, you reposted at 9.05 ~~ simple as at 9.00 Irish Time there was a new advisory downgrading Irene ~ I'm putting it down to all night watching and lack of coffee and am in no way saying you should not post and I'm surprised that you took that opinion.

For that, obviously I would like to apologise as I must take some of the blame, but we were in a fast moving situation, reports on the ground were calling it a TS and it in fact turned out to be so from about 8.30am Irish Time.

• Advertisement

I think you've been up all night and may not have been on top of this event as much as you'd like to think so.

As is so happens when we were discussing the Cat1 status of Irene she was in fact sub hurricane just as the people on the ground were reporting.

At 9.05 you posted the latest advisory, but in fact there was another advisory at 9pm, they stepped up the reporting period to one hour from three hours.

As you say, this is a fast moving forum at times and I know I've been up all night and we all make mistakes and we do in fact get over it.

You are just being disingenuous. I would have expected you to say thanks for the update, I take back my post, but instead you seem to have got a bee in your bonnet.

I don't make the reports, at the time you posted, even though you were contributing actively in the thread and you had to have seen the post I refereed to, you reposted at 9.05 ~~ simple as at 9.00 Irish Time there was a new advisory downgrading Irene ~ I'm putting it down to all night watching and lack of coffee and am in no way saying you should not post and I'm surprised that you took that opinion.

For that, obviously I would like to apologise as I must take some of the blame, but we were in a fast moving situation, reports on the ground were calling it a TS and it in fact turned out to be so from about 8.30am Irish Time.
    It sounds like you have been up all night alright. :rolleyes:
    You're wrong, I posted at 8.58 Eastern time which was 2 mins before the next advisory (not 9.05 Irish time I was in bed that time) and what the hell are you talking about in that last paragraph.

Disingenuous? I never claimed to know much about the hurricane, all I did was comment saying that it is still a hurricane status which I just seen on the news at the time. You obviously have a problem with that and feel the need to be flippant towards me just because I posted something that you posted an hour before (which I never noticed in the first place). Let it go!!! Like I said You are not a mod and I dont like the way you are conducting yourself on this thread. Take your passively aggressive behaviour somewhere else and if you keep jumping on peoples comments like that then the mods will have something to say about it, better put the seat belt on in the back seat of your modcar. Good day to you.

Advertisement