Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking Pictures of Strangers

• 21-08-2011 2:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi guys,

I just want to know everybody's experience with taking impromptu pictures of strangers. Are they usually OK with it, do you ask first or afterwards or do the sneaky "I'm not actually zooming into your face, there's a pretty bird behind you" thing? I've always been pretty uncomfortable with it and I think i'm missing out on some great shots! Let me know how you go about it?

(I'm not much of a boards user so don't know if I've out this in the right place, apologies if I haven't!)

Thank yooou!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

shtylin wrote: »
    hi guys,

I just want to know everybody's experience with taking impromptu pictures of strangers. Are they usually OK with it, do you ask first or afterwards or do the sneaky "I'm not actually zooming into your face, there's a pretty bird behind you" thing? I've always been pretty uncomfortable with it and I think i'm missing out on some great shots! Let me know how you go about it?

(I'm not much of a boards user so don't know if I've out this in the right place, apologies if I haven't!)

Thank yooou!!

Well im of the opionion itl be troubly wobly if you take pics of strangers, even worse if its young uns, best to ask first just to be careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 reganww

Irish people are a bit funny about having their pics taken uninvited. My advice is to take the shot - and then approach them to confirm that its ok. If it's not - then just delete it.

As above - nippers are a no-no, unfortunately we've gotten more like America.

On this note - I must say I love this guy - www.thesartorialist.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Elmar Fudd

I enjoy pictures of strangers sometimes. It can add a certain something to the picture, it feels liberating plus I already have too many incredibly boring pictures of my usual associates. I'm no expert (I dabble) but the main thing is not to draw any attention. If you don't look through the camera then people think you didn't take one. But it's easier to look through the camera. I hang around near a good view and pretend to take pictures of whatever is beyond them. Another good place to photograph strangers would be on the decks of ships. I don't feel so out-of-place there with the camera. The people around can be far more interesting than any view. What I don't want is those dull boring people who seem to be everywhere, with blank expressions, they ruin a photo and never photograph ugly kids which is creepy although I reckon it's alright to photograph good looking children if you can get away with it - especially if you shoot from the hip and if you are "really" photographing the view beyond. But you know the saying, a picture paints a hundred words so I will post a few 'thumbnails':
    0B208C510EB443ABABCFDCFB23CF2021-0000314941-0001998010-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg1938E69240BB4EEDAEC64062B9598931-0000314941-0002290882-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg1105A72482E546FD99E45E06E2F1471C-240.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

This guy is pretty good as well, shares tips in his blog

http://www.dannyst.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

This guy is pretty good as well, shares tips in his blog

http://www.dannyst.com/

Although he's very much of the 'only take pictures of beautiful people' and 'taking pictures of cute chicks from a distance with telephoto lens' school of street photography.

• Advertisement
Advertisement