Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD singles

Options
  • 21-08-2011 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭

I went into HMV today to get Noel Gallagher's new single and after wandering around the shop with no joy I asked one of the counter staff where they had the singles and she looked at me like I've ten heads... apparently they don't sell them anymore..
    Does anybody know of another shop in Dublin that does them or is online shopping the only way to find these once popular relics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Same story in Cork:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Yes unfortunately singles have been discontinued.

There are still a heep of them lying around on Amazon so you could check there?

This is the Noel Gallagher single I presume you're looking for.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Noel-Gallaghers-Flying-Birds/dp/B005FP9Z06/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1313917781&sr=1-1

Otherwise I don't know if there is a future for singles really, downloads are destroying the music industry I'm surprised albums have lasted as long as they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

The thing is they haven't been discontinued, the shops just don't stock them anymore. Every online retailer has them freely available.

I don't think it can be argued that downloads are destroying the industry but to go into a major music shop and be told that the big singles section that once existed is gone years is madness. I predict that within 5 years all music shops will be gone and online shopping will be the only way to buy music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

From what i see lately, shops only stock singles that kids will buy. Like Jedward

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Doolittle51

I saw it in Tower today. It was a 7" vinyl, but they might have the CD version too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why would anyone buy a single? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

From my experience the reason singles didn't sell well in stores was down to price an average of 5 euro in my local shop with 2 or 3 songs heck even 1 song with a remix on the CD that just isn't good value for money 7" single tend to be a good price but no were will stock them, the industry is to blame for the fall of CD singles because of these reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Probably because going to a shop to buy a new cd used to be something to really look forward to. Internet has definitely ruined that for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I've got a kid on the way (in the next four weeks) & as with the first, we're going to buy the number one single, album, newspaper of the day for them in the future...

I've just looked at the charts & realised that I don't know any of them, so I youtubed the current number one, (possible they would still be there) & it's totally alien to me.

I've never felt so old...

Im a huge fan of Noel Gallagher and bought all Oasis singles for the glorious B-Sides and also to have them as part of my collection. I collect all things Gallagher and it is a bit of a shame I can't get Noel's single in a record store so I have to order it online which is not nearly as fun as going to a record store.

Things were better in the old days, I played the 'Who Feels Love' single on my turntable today which I got in Virgin on vinyl back when it was released along with the cd versions, a few months after that I picked up 'Sunday Morning Call' on vinyl in the bargain bin for 99p

It just wouldnt happen now and it's sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

McLoughlin wrote: »
    From my experience the reason singles didn't sell well in stores was down to price an average of 5 euro in my local shop with 2 or 3 songs heck even 1 song with a remix on the CD that just isn't good value for money 7" single tend to be a good price but no were will stock them, the industry is to blame for the fall of CD singles because of these reasons.

And most HMV stores also have 2 for €12 deals and all sorts of clearout deals.

Say an album has 10 tracks (like the Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds album). The album will be approximately €15 the day of its physical release.

To think of buying the single for €5 when the only other track is The Good Rebel. Its just non sense, thats like €15 for 6 songs if you were to buy three more 2-song singles.

6 Songs is just slightly more than half the total of tracks we will have on Noel Gallagher's album for the same price so its kind of understandable why people will wait until the album, if they will at all.

Some people will just download all 10 songs off the album for free. I for one will be buying the album as I am a massive Noel fan and will be pleased to own a physical copy.

So yeah the industry is very much to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Dotsey wrote: »
    The thing is they haven't been discontinued, the shops just don't stock them anymore. Every online retailer has them freely available.

I don't think it can be argued that downloads are destroying the industry but to go into a major music shop and be told that the big singles section that once existed is gone years is madness. I predict that within 5 years all music shops will be gone and online shopping will be the only way to buy music

this is never going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

this is never going to happen

Yes it is.

Sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 UBd

music stores wont disappear.... but they will become a much smaller niche market. When Tesco started selling CDs cheap and napster started giving free downloads, that was the beginning of the end!! It got to the stage that you can buy a CD in your local newsagent, Centra, Supervalu, Tesco and often for less than a fiver! This has to end somewhere.... CD singles are almost gone and music has been devalued so much that eventually bands will stop producing them.... then Tesco and the big shops will no longer have an interest in stocking them..... And then the real music shops can start making a comeback! CDs will be fairly rare and will cost more.... and the digital generation will get sick of losing their downloads when they replace phones, ipods, laptops etc and start to realise how good it is to actually own a real recording (cd/vinyl).... and then the bands will start to produce more stuff on CD.... maybe even singles again one day!!

In the meantime, you can always get good bargains on e-bay for real cd singles..... including the oasis classics!! :D

UBd wrote: »
    In the meantime, you can always get good bargains on e-bay for real cd singles..... including the oasis classics!! :D

Have them all in my collection:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Yeah, they weren't selling it in Dublin anyway. I got some amount of smarm from the person working in Tower Records on Middle Abbey Street when I asked about it.

Had to buy the 7" instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

does anyone know where I might be able to pickup the Oasis "whats the story morning glory" 5 disk singles 'boxset' anywhere?

Ebay has a few sellers but the the boxes napear to be damaged on most of them : (

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

spongbob wrote: »
    does anyone know where I might be able to pickup the Oasis "whats the story morning glory" 5 disk singles 'boxset' anywhere?

Ebay has a few sellers but the the boxes napear to be damaged on most of them : (
    You will be lucky to pick one of them up because Oasis reissued their singles after Creation folded and the new ones are all BigBrother Recordings, so as both the singles boxsets were with Creation they're no longer being produced so second hand is the only option.
    I'd suggest keep trying eBay or you might get lucky in a flea market somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 38 UBd

hi spongebob.... were they the boxsets that looked like packets of cigarettes? If so, was it the gold one or silver one you wanted? I mite have some spare boxes with the interview disc in me attic but the singles themselves are no longer with me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

hi mate, both please! will drop you a pm there now if thats ok

• Advertisement
Advertisement