Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network Wiring Question?

• 21-08-2011 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Im looking to see if maybe I can get a network cable wired to a bedroom upstairs..

Roughly how much would this cost and does it make much of a mess?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

DermotOH wrote: »
    Im looking to see if maybe I can get a network cable wired to a bedroom upstairs..

Hmm are you technically proficint? if so probably a tenner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Materials should be about €10, so the rest will be the labour to route the cable, this can be anything from 10 mins to 6 hours, depending on location of points, construction of house ect...

I ran a cat5 cable from the tv point in the sitting room up to the bedroom above, was very quick. There was a false side on the chimney brest for piping. Had the cable run, terminated and tested in under an hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

I'm talking about If an electrician came in and did it, I know nothing about wiring and don't really want to mess anything up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Del007

Del007 wrote: »

They cant be plugged into an extension cord so they wouldn't be of use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I'd say €60-€120 to get someone to pull in a cable and terminate.

If it's just a semi temp setup and you don't need massive b/w, just get the power line Ethernet adapters €80 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

They cant be plugged into an extension cord so they wouldn't be of use

Why not? a couple of weeks ago I used a similar pair with both ends plugged into multiway extension leads (for an internet tv). Working fine for YouTube etc.

They were a bit on the wide side which means you can't use the adjacent sockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,640 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What do you need it for, a wireless adopter may suit your need.

ted1 wrote: »
    What do you need it for, a wireless adopter may suit your need.

I rather just spend the money and get the network wired, Would be using it for gaming aswell and would like the stability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,752 ✭✭✭✭altor

Wiring means it will be a surface mounted cable in most cases, properly stapled to the skirting board. Cost would be roughly €80 upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

A decent wireless router (eg linksys WRT54 series) will cost you about €20 on ebay....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

A box of Cat5E cable is about 30-40 euro these days.2 RJ11 or RJ45 plugs would be about 20 cents each,and an RJ11/45 crimper would be about 10 euro,depending on what shop you buy from

A full box of Cat5E has 305 meters of cable in it.

Advertisement