Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i think that the non drinkers forum had 2 purposes

Options
  • 21-08-2011 2:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭

1 social networking for non drinkers
    2 support for those posters that want to stop drinking

why was it soo bad that #2 was happening?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Obelisk

Tigger wrote: »
    1 social networking for non drinkers
    2 support for those posters that want to stop drinking

why was it soo bad that #2 was happening?

Good question that.

Is it just a pioneer group now, or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Because those who are in recovery need real life face to face help and support and a forum can not deliver that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Sharrow wrote: »
    Because those who are in recovery need real life face to face help and support and a forum can not deliver that.

I don't think anybody would deny that, in fact you could probably say that for a lot of "Personal Issues", however can a Bulliten Board not be used in conjunction with or as a springboard for external help?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

People weren't doing that, they were using the forum instead or using the forum as a reason/distraction from getting real help. Talking to another person face to face is part of the process of accepting what is happening and making it real so that person faces it and then started making changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Obelisk wrote: »
    Is it just a pioneer group now, or what?
    It's worth noting for your own reference (and anyone else reading) that the Pioneers' Association is a Catholic alcohol abstinence movement.
    Just because someone does not drink alcohol, does not make the a pioneer. I'm also sure that it's true to say that just because someone is a pioneer, doesn't mean they don't covertly drink alcohol.

Though I'm aware that "pioneer" is a typical term used in this country to refer to any consistent non-drinker, I would find it rude and somewhat offensive to be called such, particularly since I'm not a catholic.

The Pioneers to some degree are considered a niche/fervent/whacko group of evangelical non-drinkers, so use of the term when referring to someone is immediately tell them that you think they're a bit odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

seamus wrote: »
    It's worth noting for your own reference (and anyone else reading) that the Pioneers' Association is a Catholic alcohol abstinence movement.
    Just because someone does not drink alcohol, does not make the a pioneer. I'm also sure that it's true to say that just because someone is a pioneer, doesn't mean they don't covertly drink alcohol.

Though I'm aware that "pioneer" is a typical term used in this country to refer to any consistent non-drinker, I would find it rude and somewhat offensive to be called such, particularly since I'm not a catholic.

The Pioneers to some degree are considered a niche/fervent/whacko group of evangelical non-drinkers, so use of the term when referring to someone is immediately tell them that you think they're a bit odd.

So you find it offensive to be called a Pioneer then you immediately insult those who are.

Irony or coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Is it not feasible to have a Recovery support forum and a sub-forum for those who do not have an addiction but don't drink out of choice? I don't drink at all and it is always nice to meet people who choose not to drink or just don't like the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

So you find it offensive to be called a Pioneer then you immediately insult those who are.

Irony or coincidence?
    Oh irony, definitely.

Thankfully I'm a full paid up member of the drinking fraternity, so my post was made entirely from a objective point of view. I've no problem being ironic, it's hypocrasy I can't stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Everything I stated here still stands.

We are not going to have a "Recovery" forum here, we're not the right sort of place for it at all and if you'll forgive my being so blunt, we're not interested in being (morally and legally) responsible for it.

Advertisement