Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Lost?

Options
  • 21-08-2011 7:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Aaaaaaagggghhh!!

This, I don't get. I have a WD NAS (MyBook World) plugged into my router and then a WD 500gb hard drive plugged into the NAS via USB. This is the hard drive where I happened to have all my stuff (it was almost full).

Anyway, that hard drive appears to be blank now. Not only that, it seems to reckon its NTFS now (it was FAT32 before). So I guess this is the cause of my data loss but I have no idea how it came to be re-formatted.

Question is do I have any recovery options?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

James_M wrote: »
    Aaaaaaagggghhh!!

This, I don't get. I have a WD NAS (MyBook World) plugged into my router and then a WD 500gb hard drive plugged into the NAS via USB. This is the hard drive where I happened to have all my stuff (it was almost full).

Anyway, that hard drive appears to be blank now. Not only that, it seems to reckon its NTFS now (it was FAT32 before). So I guess this is the cause of my data loss but I have no idea how it came to be re-formatted.

Question is do I have any recovery options?
    It does sound like it's been formatted.
    I'd use Linux tools to make an image of the disk on a larger disk (DD or Gnu ddrescue.) Then use recovery tools on the image rather than the disk.
    You could try testdisk, its a Linux tool, but itbhandles fat and NTfs too. You may need a live CD (an OS that runs from a CD) such as system rescue CD, it has all the tools needed.
    The important thing is not to use the disk until you have got what you need or have given up. If you haven't used the disk since your chances are good, but it will be tedious.
    Here's some other tools http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/collection/collid,1295-order,1/files.html. also try Wikipedia data recovery software for a list of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭James_M

Cheers. Looks like I have a bit of a job to do. Will give it a try.

Advertisement