Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The end of UFC on ESPN??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

cletus wrote: »
    Wondering what kind of coverage we can expect here once the contract with ESPN runs out.

which is a year away so lets think about it then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

Devastator wrote: »
    which is a year away so lets think about it then

Sorry, I must have missed the memo about not discussing this topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

The UFC will find another outlet, be it Sky or some other carrier. Nothing to worry about beyond some rejigging of subscriptions at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

if it ends up on sky and becomes PPV then thatll be the end of watching it on tv for me. i pay enough for sky as it is theres no way im giving extra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

sonic85 wrote: »
    if it ends up on sky and becomes PPV then thatll be the end of watching it on tv for me. i pay enough for sky as it is theres no way im giving extra
    Same here, I hate those ba$tards Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

sonic85 wrote: »

Sky are cutting back on the PPV events so I would doubt that they would want to make UFC PPV

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Sky are cutting back on the PPV events so I would doubt that they would want to make UFC PPV

MMA is becoming very popular though so id imagine theyd look to exploit that. PPV for numbered events with fight nights on SS1 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

It'll take 10+ years to warrant Sky Box Office UFC'ing PPV's over here IMO.

We still have 1 year left on the ESPN UFC UK deal too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

UFC events are too frequent to justify PPV in the UK & Ireland, traditionally not big PPV markets aside from probably 2,3 boxing matches a year. I hope and pray the events don't go ppv, it would bring the sport back 5-10 years as far as coverage goes, they simply would not get the numbers, the current setup with ESPN is decent, and I enjoy MMA Live. I defiantly don't want sky box office getting their grubby mits on it, ever. Saying that, didn't sky begin to show TUF, I dread to think what would happen if they decided they could get big money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭alcomoholic

well dana just penned a deal with murdochs fox over in the states so ruppey is well aware of how profitable it can be. it will eventually go on sky and on ppv but it's probably still a few years away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

cletus wrote: »
    Sorry, I must have missed the memo about not discussing this topic

:rolleyes: don't be soo sensitive :rolleyes:

I never said you couldnt discuss it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Do people not know that SKY have stopped boxing PPV's until further notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i see Dana White has twittered "**** ESPN",

i might not work for espn, but id hazard a guess that they wont be too happy with that

the UFC will be on sky id imagine fairly soon, and like the rest of you'se, if its ppv only, then i wont be buying them, ill go old school and download them like we had to do before ufc 47 ;)

unknown13 wrote: »

im not big into boxing but would that not be more because there arent that many fights worth showing on PPV? the best they can do lately is david haye dancing around for 12 rounds trying his hardest not to get hit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Xlami

Just an observation but I can't remember the last time Sky had a PPV boxing match not involving a British fighter. We could possibly have a similar situation where the British fighters are made PPV and the cards in England. With a decent start time part of the attraction. And as those cards have been fairly poor as of late I won't mind using a stream for the odd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Lads, ESPN UK and ESPN in the US are 2 different kettles of fish!

Just because Dana has bothers with them there, doesn't mean the same here! I don't think Sky Sports are interested in UFC anyway. They tried out a series of TUF and didnt bother coming back for seconds. I don't think Sky would give UFC the coverage it deserves, especially since the live shows don't start until 2am. Whenever there's a big fight (boxing) on, they hardly pull out all the stops for it.

They CERTAINLY won't have UFC on PPV. It's nowhere near big enough to get enough buys for it to make sense. They're working to hard to build the brand around the world to jump the gun like that!

There's a year left on the ESPN deal, i think they'll extend it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I thought it was bad enough paying 15euro a month for ESPN at home to catch them live. Turns out its $20 a pop over here in oz on FOX, they have them all as a PPV event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

sonic.trip wrote: »
    I thought it was bad enough paying 15euro a month for ESPN at home to catch them live. Turns out its $20 a pop over here in oz on FOX, they have them all as a PPV event.
    Agree that the price is ridiculous in oz but they don't have them all as a PPV event. Generally its the numbered events that are PPV, UFC 132, 133, 134 etc
    Fight nights, or UFC live events are shown free. Normally on OneHD or FuelTV, Fuel also shows TUF every night.

I don't ever order in the events on Fox though, much beter crack to go to the pub and watch them. Better athosphere with a crowd etc. Timezones mean that they are on during the day on Sunday in oz if anybody's wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

Mellor wrote: »
    Timezones mean that they are on during the day on Sunday in oz if anybody's wondering

Sounds great, equivalent time to when we would watch football etc. here :D
    Lash a few pints into you watching mma in a bar during the daytime, instead of sitting up until 2am, a man can dream...

unknown13 wrote: »

I made a reference to it on post 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Can't see events making PPV any time soon. Dana has moaned in the past that he'd love to break the UK market into a PPV model but it won't work.

id say he's fairly sickened that he doesnt get any fat stacks from this side of the pond.
    hungry cunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

id say he's fairly sickened that he doesnt get any fat stacks from this side of the pond.
    hungry cunt.

He'll be laughing all the way to the bank when he sees a sold out sticker beside 138 and looks at the wage bill for the night.

hungry cunt.

yeah, wanting to make money for your business, disgraceful eh? :rolleyes:

MrStuffins wrote: »
    yeah, wanting to make money for your business, disgraceful eh? :rolleyes:

take dana's nuts out of your mate mouth, you must be gasping for breath at this stage :rolleyes:

take dana's nuts out of your mate mouth, you must be gasping for breath at this stage :rolleyes:

Stating a truth now equates to sucking Dana Whites balls does it?

Post of the year right here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

:D

Only just noticed the typo...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Mellor wrote: »
    Agree that the price is ridiculous in oz but they don't have them all as a PPV event. Generally its the numbered events that are PPV, UFC 132, 133, 134 etc
    Fight nights, or UFC live events are shown free. Normally on OneHD or FuelTV, Fuel also shows TUF every night.

I don't ever order in the events on Fox though, much beter crack to go to the pub and watch them. Better athosphere with a crowd etc. Timezones mean that they are on during the day on Sunday in oz if anybody's wondering

Yeah I've noticed TUF and some re-runs on One HD. Been to the bars a few times which is great but sometimes don't make it on the Sundays so just end up downloading them. The price is crazy though, way too expensive.

• Advertisement

*nom nom nom nom, cough cough splurgh splurgh, can't breathe*

You're only convincing yourself here friend. Yours in an old and worn out argument which belongs on Sherdog

"I'm not particularly fond of that fighter"

- "Really? Well I, for one, see it a different way and am fond of said fighter"

"NUT-HUGGERRRRRR!!!!"

Also, if I had half the business acumen Dana White has in his balls, I'd be doing pretty well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

weemcd wrote: »
    Sounds great, equivalent time to when we would watch football etc. here :D
    Lash a few pints into you watching mma in a bar during the daytime, instead of sitting up until 2am, a man can dream...
    tbh I love it. For me at this stage, UFC is something I get up for on a sunday morning, going to the pub at 12pm (well actually 11am or 1pm depending on daylight savings), and then spending the day on the beer.
    Yeah I've noticed TUF and some re-runs on One HD. Been to the bars a few times which is great but sometimes don't make it on the Sundays so just end up downloading them. The price is crazy though, way too expensive.

Agreed, I bought them in for a while, but then i figured the pub wasn't much more expensive. So if i don't make the pub, i watch on MMA-Core
    The UFC mag normally prints the names of pubs showing events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

We really get great value over here don't we, espn free with sky sports.

We really get great value over here don't we, espn free with sky sports.

Even before it came free i thought it was great value at €15 for me anyway. UFC coverage, Premier League games, MLS, Bundesliga etc. As well as the US sports on ESPN America.

Advertisement