Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Habits

• 21-08-2011 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Fustrated & disgusted!!

I bought two german shepherd pups back in april, they are now six months old and are maturing into fine dogs, but where my problem lies is, they have the dreadful habit of sniffing and licking their own dung. How can i stop them from doing this or will they simply grow out of it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It's not uncommon for some dogs to do that.

There are a few ways, one being to try and clean up as soon as they go.
    Another is a firm 'no' or 'aahaah' when you see them doing it.

A good few people find if you add a small bit of pineapple to their food, they enjoy eating it but when it comes out the other end, it puts them off being at their poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

powerhose wrote: »
    Fustrated & disgusted!!

I bought two german shepherd pups back in april, they are now six months old and are maturing into fine dogs, but where my problem lies is, they have the dreadful habit of sniffing and licking their own dung. How can i stop them from doing this or will they simply grow out of it??

I have two dogs, one eats his poo and one doesn't! There are a few theories about it. Look up Coprophagia and you'll find a good bit of info on pineapples and vet treatments etc.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

What food are you feeding them? A lot of low quality foods or foods with colourings/flavourings dont get digested properly and come back out still smelling like their food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Shanao wrote: »
    What food are you feeding them? A lot of low quality foods or foods with colourings/flavourings dont get digested properly and come back out still smelling like their food.

Ye saved me typing it,was gonna say the same thing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I minded a friends dog a while ago who did that and they got tablets from the garden centre,cant remember the name but they dog eats it like a treat then when it goes through their tummies and out he other end it gives off a sour scent and they no like it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 Robinwood

The best advice is go to the vat and consult a doc and he will surely advice you some tablets for them and after using them they gonna clearly get a idea about on what to eat and what not to ! It worked for my puppy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Its either boredom or malnutrition OP. As the post above me says, seeing a vet would be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 powerhose

They are being fed on nuts manufactured by a well known & well respected dog food manufacturer, the nuts are mixed with a small amount of mince meat and they drink milk and water. I do my best to clean up their dirt but its hard to watch them the whole time.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

First of all, what brand are the nuts? And secondly, forget the milk straight away anyway; dogs cant properly digest the lactose in milk. You have to be careful with german shepherds as they are renowned for having a sensitive digestive system.

Advertisement