Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** The MEGA Waiting for CAO offers (and UCAS) thread ** (READ FIRST POST!!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sarah? wrote: »
    Party in Gryffindor common room if anyone wants to continue the Harry Potter related CAO offers!! :D
    50 points to Gryffindor! :)
    Oenone wrote: »
    Actually, I was also referring to the single honours subjects :)
    And I would say that a single honours subject would be vastly more specific and in-depth than a broad arts degree, no? ^_^
    Of course, more specific and in-depth than a two subject (or even 3 subject degree) but still in an Arts subject.

You do realise you can do a PhD in History or English or Philosophy (all Arts subjects) just like in Bio or Chem (Science) and so on ...

How much more specific and in-depth can you get than a PhD? :)

"Arts" or sometimes "Humanities" is just a classification for certain subjects, just like "Social Sciences" or "Science" ... it's just a classification with a large number of subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0822/cao.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0822/1224302808028.html

Just if your eager:pac:

Add away ppl if you know of better sites

My bad already an open thread......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Lawl I'm upside down on my bed this is dun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

I'm passing time playing Doodle Jump on my iPod :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

Barrt2 wrote: »
    just saw film for first time tonight:o never read book, really want to see kite runner:film book was amazing possibly best read of life

The film is sh1te! Don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 iam_serpentine

Hello! Which was your favourite? I have to say there was no contest for me, Il Postino was great :D

I hated Lies of Silence, possibly the worst book I ever read (and I read quite a bit). You'd think our teacher would choose a book that would at least ENCOURAGE reading, but noooo..:P Yeah Il Postino was pretty amazing. And I liked Dancing at Lughnasa too! That might be because I got to see it as a play before I read it though and it was done really well...soo yeah. Il Postino was my fave too~:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

i just asked to see what reading material i missed out on. i'm short on good books so i need a good read:)

The best book I have ever read is "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. Amazing book!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

Sarah? wrote: »
    What?! There was a conspiracy?? I missed the whole beginning of that Harry Potter thread. :(

Made a new one though, y'know, 'cause "Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home". :D

Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mmmuir

In relation to what I did for my english comparative: Wuthering Heights, Il Postino and Dancing at Lughnasa.

There doesn't seem to be a real interest in law this year..:rolleyes:

"I have no pity! I have no pity! The more the worms writhe, the more I yearn to crush out their entrails! It is a moral teething; and I grind with greater energy in proportion to the increase of pain."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

I hated Lies of Silence, possibly the worst book I ever read (and I read quite a bit). You'd think our teacher would choose a book that would at least ENCOURAGE reading, but noooo..:P Yeah Il Postino was pretty amazing. And I liked Dancing at Lughnasa too! That might be because I got to see it as a play before I read it though and it was done really well...soo yeah. Il Postino was my fave too~:cool:
    Out of those 3 I actually liked lies of silence more than Il Postino or Dancing at Lughnasa...I found it quite interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

Wat ya reckon Building sector wil be low. personally i would like to see it high i mean low i mean jesus i dont know

F(*&^%$£ the CAO come back at 23 nobody will care about your LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ness k

is like noone going for law here or would i be the only one ??

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Barrt2

Exothermic wrote: »
    I'm passing time playing Doodle Jump on my iPod :P

passing trying time admiring a german beer mug from my neighbour he got it for being a pilot in afghanistan or somewhere:L som odd symbols on it...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Its way too early for shops to have the paper :) Ill be heading to tesco about about 4 if i dont fall asleep

This.

I'm not gonna bother if people keep asking so early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

mmmuir wrote: »
    Hamlet, The Constant Gardener, The Kite Runner. My teacher was... a bimbo

:eek:

the kite runner is amazing. but as part of a comparative!? it's long..............

& I can't even fathom writing about the gv/v of hamlet..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ness k

oisindcu wrote: »
    na nothing sure u could always drop out and get a job in the bank???

sounds like a plan mother would lave that . I HATE HP BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

"I asked her to dance...She asked me to DIE"

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Thank god he' still kicking :). hopefully for a bit longer too, what did everyone do for their english paper 2 comparitive studies???:)

just asking out of interest i did how many miles to babylon, sive and inside i'm dancing

Hamlet, The Plough and the Stars, and Billy Elliot. . .

. . .my boards.ie secret identity has just come under serious threat. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 123ame

Primary teaching in Pats is the same points as last year and Mary I, Marino etc are down in points!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

ness k wrote: »

I'm going for Law & German :)

• Advertisement

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    Out of those 3 I actually liked lies of silence more than Il Postino or Dancing at Lughnasa...I found it quite interesting.

Well yeah, the plot in itself is interesting. But I just absolutely detested the characters and felt no sympathy at all for Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cabbage kid

I thought the same thing about LOS. Just crap. It was very poorly written. I didn't like DAL though, I was kinda waiting for something to happen for the whole book and nothing really did although I can see why it'd be better when you experience it as it's meant to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Sarah?

Hello! Which was your favourite? I have to say there was no contest for me, Il Postino was great :D

I did the same three, hated Il Postino - all that hope - what's that all about like?? :rolleyes: Loved the other two, probably 'cause me and my mates pull the piss out of them all the time.

Eg: "Nevermind him, his highest ambition is a job in a shipyard or a mill!" :P

I find it humourous anyway... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭IfUSeekAmy

MEEEEEEEEEE!

Law & French.

trinity

I have 5points to spare on last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭rockycoolness22

AHHHHH IM SO NERVOUS!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Law & accounting for me

My good friend is going for law and French in UCC, but I think she'll be alright considering she got 580 points.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

123ame wrote: »
    Primary teaching in Pats is the same points as last year and Mary I, Marino etc are down in points!!!
    Source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

I hated Lies of Silence, possibly the worst book I ever read (and I read quite a bit). You'd think our teacher would choose a book that would at least ENCOURAGE reading, but noooo..:P

The sex scenes were so unnecessary! I agree, it's the worst book I've ever read, so boring and badly written! Could've been decent if it had a decent writer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Ok heres what Ive learned so far....

Advertisement