Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone do their own power harrowing ?

• 21-08-2011 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

well folks
    just wondering would it be worth picking up a 2nd hand power harrow to do your own work..they seem to be a pricey piece of kit, was looking on donedeal there and anything under 3 or 4 grand looks wrecked...was thinking over the next few years would like to reseed a fair bit of the place but would still be only doing 10 or 15 acres a year so probably easier just to hire someone, suppose its like any machine..
    for the lads that do use them what kinda power would you need for a 3 m harrow or 3.5 m?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I bought a 3m from donedeal for 700 and done it up For another 700. Been pretty good since. Could of saved money doing it up and should of cause i tried to do it up by the book so to speak. I replaced the special nuts that hold the rotor to the gear (when replacing all the seals and bearings) cause they are a use once type of self locking nut and some of the gears were welded to the rotors by the previous owner so replaced them. Wrong move as the new nuts are really expensive and worked loose so ended up taking off all the nuts and welding them all. sounds crude but its an old machine and now in 2 years has paid itself back twice as i have done 50 acres with 2 runs each time which was costing me an acre €50. I know i have to take labour and fuel out but still i got a machine there ready to do more work.
    3 meter will run fine behind a 100 hp. The leveling boards seem to take some power allright but slower the better for leaving a level finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

st1979 wrote: »
    I bought a 3m from donedeal for 700 and done it up For another 700. Been pretty good since. Could of saved money doing it up and should of cause i tried to do it up by the book so to speak. I replaced the special nuts that hold the rotor to the gear (when replacing all the seals and bearings) cause they are a use once type of self locking nut and some of the gears were welded to the rotors by the previous owner so replaced them. Wrong move as the new nuts are really expensive and worked loose so ended up taking off all the nuts and welding them all. sounds crude but its an old machine and now in 2 years has paid itself back twice as i have done 50 acres with 2 runs each time which was costing me an acre €50. I know i have to take labour and fuel out but still i got a machine there ready to do more work.
    3 meter will run fine behind a 100 hp. The leveling boards seem to take some power allright but slower the better for leaving a level finish

interesting st, what make was it, I see some lely ones from time to time that seem ok value

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭johnboy6930

we have a 3m dowdswell power harrow heavy duty.we run it with a john Deere 6600 about 120 125 horsepower.she runs it but just..if your going to buy. buy fairly new.if you go for the wreaked ones the seal can be gone and there always leaking oil.and part are pricey for them we spent €800 on seal for this year. light duty are a waste for stony ground.you would never keep the main shafts on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Van,
    Do you need to power harrow. Maybe a double pass of grass harrow would do. What's the soil like? Will you be bringing up a lot of stones.

It was all well disscussed here before. Some good points made as usual.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055310385

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭poor farmer

bought a 3m mashio heavy duty for €1500 ,got a seasons work out of it .Then i replaced all the bearings and seals cost about €1000 parts only
    I find it very useful, I have reseeded several fields by spraying and just harrowing no ploughing .
    3m would be max on the road for transport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

bought a 3m mashio heavy duty for €1500 ,got a seasons work out of it .Then i replaced all the bearings and seals cost about €1000 parts only
    I find it very useful, I have reseeded several fields by spraying and just harrowing no ploughing .
    3m would be max on the road for transport

well sure for 2500 you must have a good machine..was it fairly old or how did it look for that money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

Mine is a maschio. Friend has a rabe but i can't remember exactly but i think a rotor for his was twice the price of maschio. Reason i went for mine was its got the packer roller which suits heavy land. A lot of the lelys seem to come with crumbler rollers which i am told in wet get full of muck.

Advertisement