Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitzgribbon Street

Options
  • 21-08-2011 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Is Fitzgribbon Street in Dublin 1 a safe area to live, given that there is a garda station just next to the building I am thinking to rent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

don't you mean Fitzgibbon Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

yes, i do. the street is near mountjoy.

any ideas?

tks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

not sure how long it will have a functioning garda station. I heard they are amalgamating into mountjoy station. Some nearby areas down the N.C.R aren't great at night. Maybe look into if the station will be remaining open before deciding. If it's staying open then you shouldn't have any hassle. Grand area by day anyway and close to city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

not sure how long it will have a functioning garda station. I heard they are amalgamating into mountjoy station.

In the middle of it atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Match days are a pain
    And it's better to be inside the cordon then outside it.

Area is fine during the day but at night it can be a bit deserted and do you want to be walking around on your own at night?

There are better areas around and very close by
    Try Clonliffe Rd just down the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

not sure how long it will have a functioning garda station. I heard they are amalgamating into mountjoy station. Some nearby areas down the N.C.R aren't great at night. Maybe look into if the station will be remaining open before deciding. If it's staying open then you shouldn't have any hassle. Grand area by day anyway and close to city centre.

Though there has been talk in the past of Fitzgibbon St station closing, it's currently undergoing renovations which has lead to most of the guards being transferred to Mountjoy temporarily. AFAIK the public office is still open 24/7 in Fitzgibbon St. That being said, I did hear that there has been no definite end date set for the renovations, probably due to a lack of funds. This might cause the temorary situation to continue for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

tk you guys for the replies.

yes, had checked a bit about the closure of the garda station there but then the latest news saying that the closure is postphoned because of the lack of funding.

but, well, i have got a place in Killester now with cheaper rent and nicer environment, just less convenient than city centre. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A few years ago the plan was to close Mountjoy station and move those members to Fitzgibbon St (Mountjoy is a sub-station of Fitzgibbon St).......

Can't see Fitzgibbon St station closing, tbh.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Living next to a garda station would be terrible. Lots of noise, lots of daily scum having to sign in while on bail etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Living next to a garda station would be terrible. Lots of noise, lots of daily scum having to sign in while on bail etc.
    Not sure if I agree with you on those points, but the lack of on-street parking might be a problem. How is it that a garda can park his/her car in a space designated 'Official Garda Vehicles Only' with impunity? :D

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Esel wrote: »
    Not sure if I agree with you on those points, but the lack of on-street parking might be a problem. How is it that a garda can park his/her car in a space designated 'Official Garda Vehicles Only' with impunity? :D

Ive ofton parked my car there with no problems. **** the police in all that jazz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Is that Maple House wino hostel still round the corner?

Advertisement