Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine repair

Options
  • 21-08-2011 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

:confused:As above I have a washing machine broken down since 15.7.2011.
    The company have made no effort to contact me my wife has called them more than 5 times they say they will come 30.8 2011.Where do I stand can I ask for a refund the machine is only from 11.11.2010 and can I name and shame them:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

What brand is the machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Is it the retailer you are dealing with? - You can name them by the way.

Did you inform them on 15/07? - If so, that would seem an unreasonably long time to await repair and you should put same in writing to them.

Your statutory rights are outlined below.
    What are my rights in respect of faulty goods?

The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980 gives legal rights to consumers in their dealings with retailers and service suppliers. The Act empowers consumers to take action for themselves. Most issues under the Act are civil legal matters to be dealt with between the parties to the contract.

Under the Act, goods should be:

Of merchantable quality - the goods are of an acceptable standard
    As described - false or exaggerated claims must not be made by the seller
    Fit for intended purpose - be fit for the purpose they were bought for
    Correspond to the sample

Where goods do not conform to the above criteria, you are entitled under the Act to seek a repair, replacement or a refund.

The legislation does not specify whether it is the retailer/supplier or the customer who chooses the form of redress to be offered.
    However, if a repair is offered and accepted, then it should be permanent. If not, and the same fault occurs again, then the buyer is entitled to seek another form of redress from the list.
    You can also reject the retailer/supplier's offer if you wish to seek another form of redress. If you do, you may have to take the matter to the courts to have it resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

So due to the unreasonable period of waiting for a repair, I returned to the store with the necessary details to get our refund on Monday 22/08/2011 . After much humming and hawing finally I was told that someone would be out on Wednesday 24/08/2011 to collect the machine and then I could get my money back.
    No word at all yesterday and waited until 3pm today to see if anyone called. My wife was back on the phone and after calling the store and getting no answer, rang the main helpline to be told it was the manufacturer's responsibility to collect the machine. So she called the machine repair line to be told it was up to the store.
    Managed to get a second number for the store and someone finally answered the phone . My wife is now waiting for a callback to see when they'll collect the machine........

Advertisement