Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keeping a few Sheep

• 21-08-2011 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting a few maybe a dozen. The main reason would be to graze after the cattle and to clean up the place. I was hoping to buy ewes that had mated with a ram. Are they sold this way and how much would they cost?

Also any suggestions on the breed/Age ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yes, they can be sold like that. If you haven't kept sheep before perhaps think about some older ones(not ancient!) with good mouths (no missing teeth, teeth not overshooting the upper pad) who are experienced lambers, will cut down on the work for you come lambing. Then you'll have that year under your belt and can keep lambs if they're suitable. Just my 2c's.

Price (they not cheap now) and breed I'll leave to others :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Grecco wrote: »
    Im thinking of getting a few maybe a dozen. The main reason would be to graze after the cattle and to clean up the place. I was hoping to buy ewes that had mated with a ram. Are they sold this way and how much would they cost?

Also any suggestions on the breed/Age ?
    They do a great job clearing up the dungpats after cattle but unless you really really really like meeting your neighbours on a daily basis you need good fencing or really sound ditches. And single strand wire for cattle will be under pressure from scratching. Double strand will be gone:mad:

On breeds, i'd say stay away fron anything with horns unless the fencing is good. They will be from the mountains or reared on the mountain and for them a small paddock is 100 acres:D.

Price will be over 150 yoyos for good ewes with good teeth and a bit of age but it is too early yet to buy them scanned in lamb (60 days after breeding) as rams not gone in yet with spring lambing flocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

just be careful you don't end up buying the crap that other farmers try to offload, that could be a problem when buying older stock.I think personally hoggets are a safer option for first time buyers, ok you have to lamb them but sure...that's the aim of the game..unless you have somebody with experience with you or you know the seller is ok i would be careful...that's my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

5live wrote: »
    They do a great job clearing up the dungpats after cattle but unless you really really really like meeting your neighbours on a daily basis you need good fencing or really sound ditches. And single strand wire for cattle will be under pressure from scratching. Double strand will be gone:mad:

On breeds, i'd say stay away fron anything with horns unless the fencing is good. They will be from the mountains or reared on the mountain and for them a small paddock is 100 acres:D.

Price will be over 150 yoyos for good ewes with good teeth and a bit of age but it is too early yet to buy them scanned in lamb (60 days after breeding) as rams not gone in yet with spring lambing flocks

Good fencing is a must. I would say even more so with sheep with small lambs, as the lambs will find smaller holes and be gone and the shep busting the fence down to follow.

How about buying some store ewe lambs (Although dear enough this year as well) and keeping them over the winter? You'd have em for breeding next year if you wanted to keep em, and they'd do the job you want of grazing down and cleaning up. Wouldnt take much at all to keep em ticking over the winter, then sell em this time next year. Just a thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Thanks lads,
    Just a few more questions

What exactly is a Hogget. ??
    Would I need to shear the sheep every year and if so when is it done?
    I dont have a dip but would it do to spray on the sheep dip with a napsack sprayer?
    Do any of yea keep a few of the lambs for the freezer, is there much meat on them or would I have to kill a few??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Grecco wrote: »
    Thanks lads,
    Just a few more questions

What exactly is a Hogget. ??

Usually hogget means a sheep aged approx. 18 months, or born the previous year

Would I need to shear the sheep every year and if so when is it done?

Yes June July usually

I dont have a dip but would it do to spray on the sheep dip with a napsack sprayer?

Yes,
    you can also use a pour on ( Clik ) which is very effective

Do any of yea keep a few of the lambs for the freezer, is there much meat on them or would I have to kill a few??

Kill out % is usually about 45 to 50 % depending on breed and age i.e a lamb weighting 50kgs live would yield approx 22 to 25 Kg meat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

did anyone see country file the other night, think thats the name of it, farming type show on bbc..anyway the presenter dude with the huge farm was selling off 50 or 60 lambs, he grouped them according to breed, texels etc ..mostly they made over 80 pounds each :eek: and i think some of them might have been around the 90 pound mark...i couldnt believe the price of them, think he got around 5 grand for 60 lambs
    after that he went off driving the combine for the day, lucky devil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone remebers, a few months ago there was someone looking for people to take on Red Spanish sheep, and they would supply the sheep etc, did anyone follow it up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

did anyone see country file the other night, think thats the name of it, farming type show on bbc..anyway the presenter dude with the huge farm was selling off 50 or 60 lambs, he grouped them according to breed, texels etc ..mostly they made over 80 pounds each :eek: and i think some of them might have been around the 90 pound mark...i couldnt believe the price of them, think he got around 5 grand for 60 lambs
    after that he went off driving the combine for the day, lucky devil

Adam Henson is that fella's name - some operation he runs. The lambs made serious money alright. I think he operates mainly off rented ground too though of course not that unusual in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

reading Hensons book at the moment, A Life On The Land. a good general read about his farm life and set up. keeps alot of rare breeds and is mostly arable, prob 60%. v diverse and professional set up. worth a read

• Advertisement
Advertisement