Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best way out is always through

Options
  • 21-08-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Back in December, I made a new years resolution to get fit this year. I started this log, where I got from being completely unfit to running a 5k in March, and then a 10k in April (however I wasn't happy with the 10k, didn't run all of it, just wasn't prepared enough.)

Then, long story short, I got sick in May/June and haven't been able to run since.

I'm not quite 100% better yet, but I'm definitely getting there, and I'm ready to start back running again. :) I did Week One of C25K last week, and it was fine, I was well able for it, so at least I'm not quite back to being as unfit as I was at the start of this year. I'm not sure whether I should skip forward a couple of weeks or not ... will see how I'm getting on.

It's not too late for me to fulfil that new years resolution! I would love to be able to run 10k in December. Should be doable if I don't get sick again! Fingers crossed.

Really looking forward to getting back into it. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Good luck with the new log!
    Your base fitness from the start of the year will stand to you and you'll probably progress really fast. Take your time though, and don't overdo it. Bets of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭redz11

Slow start to things! I climbed Knocknarea (walking!), with the intention of timing myself and getting faster each time I do it, and maybe even running some of it eventually. But my dad wanted to come with me, so we had to take it veeeerrrryyy slowly with lots of rests and breaks for photos etc, and a long long rest at the top. So it took us nearly an hour altogether! Was fun though. Will be going on my own next time I think!

Lots out training for the Warriors Run at the weekend. Lovely evening for it!

Last night - went for a short run - maybe 3k - but it was very very hilly! :D Usually I avoid hills at all costs! I did have to walk the last little bit of a really long steep hill at the very start, got a stitch because I'd just had a massive dinner, also I hadn't warmed up enough. Think it took me about 20-25 minutes ... must see if I can find my Garmin for next time!

Going bike shopping today! :cool: I haven't cycled since I was a kid! Hope I haven't forgotten how to. :pac:

And today ... 3k walk followed by 3k ridiculously slow jog. :o

• Advertisement

Yesterday - run on the beach. 20-25 minutes, no idea of distance, need to sort out my Garmin. :rolleyes:

And today - 4km run, walking the first 100m of each km. Sort of like my own make-it-up-as-you-go-along version of couch to 5k :o

Planning to start the Hal Higdon 10k Novice plan in the next couple of weeks, so have to start thinking in miles, yuck!

Out of action again for another couple of weeks. :( Sucks to be me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

redz11 wrote: »
    Out of action again for another couple of weeks. :( Sucks to be me!

Every one has drawbacks. You'll be back at it in no time

All going well, I should be able to start running again from Monday. :) So I will start the Hal Higdon plan then.

Also I'm getting my fabulous new bike tomorrow! :D So will be using that for my cross-training! Can't wait to start cycling!

• Advertisement

Also I'm getting my fabulous new bike tomorrow! :D So will be using that for my cross-training! Can't wait to start cycling!
    Getting mine at the weekend too :D

Back again! :D

So, Hal Higdon, Novice 10k Plan. Week One.

Yesterday - Stretch and Strength (i.e Pilates DVD) - actually found it pretty tough! :o Which I guess is a good thing!

Today - 2.5 mile run. Ridiculously slow! I've signed up for the Rathfarnham 5k in less than two weeks, would be nice if I could beat my time from the one and only other 5k I've done (around 35 mins.) We'll see!

My diet is really good these days, and I'm taking all sorts of vitamins and immune system supplements, so fingers and toes crossed I won't get sick again for a while! :rolleyes:
    Getting mine at the weekend too :D

Ooh cool what bike did you go for? I'm going for my first "proper" cycle tomorrow! :D Hope the wind dies down a bit by then!

Got a Trek Lexa S, which has acquired the name Xena courtesy of RacoonQueen. If I'm not half-dead after work this evening, might take her out for a little spin. :)

Got a Trek Lexa S, which has acquired the name Xena courtesy of RacoonQueen. If I'm not half-dead after work this evening, might take her out for a little spin. :)

I think I'm just going to call mine Juliet. Cause that's her name. :o Not very original!

OK so last night. 45 minute cycle. Very wet, windy, hilly ... and I loved it! :D Would have easily gone further but my boyfriend was being a pussy about the rain (the eejit turned up to go cycling wearing a big heavy hoodie and tracksuit bottoms, he was soaked within five minutes!)

Today ... went for what should have been a two mile run. Went to a local forest, realised when I got there that I forgot my Garmin, but no problem, I'd done the route loads of times and knew it was approx. two miles. Started off running, it was going really well, was actually doing a decent pace too (for me. :o ) Then, maybe 1-1.5 miles in, I realised I wasn't recognising the trees and landmarks around me. The path kept getting worse, until eventually I realised it wasn't a path at this stage, but I was just in the middle of the forest. Stopped running (ground was too rough) and tried to head back the way I came. Ended up at a really creepy Blair Witch type cottage, and started getting that weird "someone's watching me" feeling :o kept hearing weird noises too. Anyways after much wandering around, I eventually found my way back to the path, and started running again. I really don't know how I could possibly have gotten lost - there were a few fallen trees, so maybe one was blocking my usual path or something!

Anyways all and all I did well over two miles, but with a long walking break in the middle where I was wandering round the forest!

Going to switch the next few days of the plan around a little, as I'm going away for the weekend. Tomorrow I'll do Sunday's 3 mile run. Then for the 40 minutes cross on Saturday, I won't have my bike, so I'll just do something in the gym of the hotel I'm staying in. And Sunday will be my hangover rest day! :pac:

Decided to do four miles instead of three today. Went ok, except I had a few walking breaks. :o The annoying thing is, when I stop to walk, I'm usually not completely puffed out, like I don't NEED a break - it's just laziness! A habit I'll just have to break.

Anyways, despite laziness, average speed was still somehow a good bit faster than my two shorter runs this week, even though I wasn't trying to go faster at all! :) Looking forward to the rathfarnham 5k next weekend!

Then for the 40 minutes cross on Saturday, I won't have my bike, so I'll just do something in the gym of the hotel I'm staying in. And Sunday will be my hangover rest day! :pac:

Didn't bother with the gym on Saturday - went for a 20k cycle on Sunday instead. My longest yet. I <3 my bike! :D

More annoying health issues last couple of days, but didn't let in get in the way of my run today! 2.5 miles, with NO wimpy walking breaks! :D Habit is officially broken!

Don't have my bike with me in Dublin, so don't know what to do for my cross training tomorrow. I'm sure I'll think of something!

Oh, forgot to say. I got a stitch halfway through my run today, but I didn't stop, just ran right through it. Hardcore! ;)

Yesterday - 1.5m run.
    Today - 3.5m run, with hills.
    It's slower I'm getting! :o

Tomorrow I'll do the same 3.5m run. Then Saturday is rest day, Sunday is Rathfarnham 5k.

It's probably not ideal, doing running on my "crosstraining" days. It'll just have to do though, until I get my bike sorted!

Tomorrow I'll do the same 3.5m run.

Done. And two minutes faster than yesterday! Still crazy slow though.

No more running til Sunday. The only other 5k I did, in March, I did it in just over 35 minutes. So just hoping to get under 35 this time. I'm hoping that as I increase the distances, my speed will gradually improve too. :/ I bet some of the walkers will be finished before me!

Gotta start somewhere I guess!

Good luck on Sunday :)

• Advertisement

OK so I did the 5k on Sunday. Wasn't feeling the best, and to be honest I'd pretty much decided on Saturday that I'd probably not bother doing it, but changed my mind Sunday morning ... I wanted the T-Shirt! :D

I decided not to worry about getting a good time, and just aim to run all of it. And I did that, at least! Finished in the embarrassingly slow time of 35:52 :o I'm not sure how it's physically possible to run as slowly as I do?! On the plus side, I can only get faster ... I hope! I didn't have my Garmin with me, I think it would have probably helped me pick up the pace a bit! I passed the one mile mark ten minutes in, and thought I was keeping a steady pace after that, but evidently not!

For the last two kilometers, the same few people kept passing me out, then stopping to walk and I'd pass them out, then they'd start running again and pass me again. I think I'd have probably finished a lot quicker if I'd taken one or two walking breaks, and it was very tempting to, but I'm glad I just stuck it out. :) To be honest I'm happier finishing in the time I did but having run the full 5k, than to have finished a lot faster but not running all of it.

Haven't been running since then - a combination of feeling a bit dodgy, and having a very hectic couple of days. So I'm going to forget the HH plan for the rest of this week, and just try to get out for a couple of runs when I can. As for next week - I'm doing exams, so I'll probably do the same, I'll see. Then back into Week Three of the plan from Monday week, most likely.

Thinking of doing the Simon 5k in the Phoenix Park Saturday week, but I'm not sure if I'll be in Dublin, and also it's maybe not a good idea when I won't have been training properly. I'll decide closer the time!

Aaaand we're back!

Haven't done much the past couple of weeks because of exams etc, apart from a couple of cycles. Went for a run last night ... it was about 30 mins, I'm not sure of distance so I'm just going to make a guesstimate ... maybe 10k? :p OK, maybe not.

Just back from a cycle now, will fit in another run over the weekend, then back to week 3 of the plan from Monday.

Advertisement