Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Bar: no accounts for 7 years

Options
  • 21-08-2011 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says: there are more details in a piece in the Independent today, but they appear to be confusing the two bars. The Student Bar (next to the Newman building) is the big one, the Forum Bar (under the Student Centre) is smaller:
    Leading firm Mazaars has been retained to examine the books of the UCD student Forum Bar and it is expected that it will finalise the accounts by the middle of next month, after concerns were raised about the financial position of the bar.
    The Belfield bar is run by a committee of students and academics independent from the college authorities, but the failure to file accounts for such a long time has caused "alarm bells to ring loudly", said one senior college source.

It has been confirmed that the last finalised accounts were produced in late 2004, and while a draft financial statement for 2005 was completed, it was not signed off.

Since then no accounts for the bar have been produced, despite a huge turnover and it being one of the busiest student bars in Ireland.

Given the prices they charge; if they're making a loss, I would want to see an investigation in to just where the money has gone.

The piece also asks some general questions about the SU's financial position, which get asked every year.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Who actually owns and runs the bars? The SU don't seem to actually have full control of either one.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Who really cares?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

I thought there were financial irregularities years ago and afterwards the two bars were merged together under the same management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Gae wrote: »
    I thought there were financial irregularities years ago and afterwards the two bars were merged together under the same management.

I just thought the greatest financial irregularity was how such a crap bar continues to exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

OSI wrote: »
    Isn't it gone now anyway?
    It'll be reopening once the building work is done, I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Took a long time to ring the alarm bells!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Atychiphobia

When is the forum bar reopening?? (If at all..)

Advertisement