Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching TY Science

• 21-08-2011 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all

I'm teaching TY Science for the first time this year and while I have some material I was just wondering if there is anyone who as anything more.

The programme I have involves:
    Microbiology and Immunity
    Genetics
    Sports and nutrition
    Forensic Science
    Cosmetics

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Very biology based, personally I think you would need some chemistry and physics in there. There is a rather good show on the beeb called Wonderstuff which goes into the chemistry of every day items like bleach, cleaning protects and the like. Could also do some "dirty chemistry" like I've been doing myself to fill the gap until I start back at uni, using stuff about the house to carry out chemical reactions. Also look up Periodic Table of Videos really good videos from the uni.

As for Physics, some basic stuff about CERN, how a CRT and LCD tvs works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Hi all

I'm teaching TY Science for the first time this year and while I have some material I was just wondering if there is anyone who as anything more.

The programme I have involves:
    Microbiology and Immunity
    Genetics
    Sports and nutrition
    Forensic Science
    Cosmetics

Thanks a million

What you've planned out there is similar enough to the curriculum I did in my own fourth year. If you'd like to work in some physics based projects like Irish Knight suggested we made trusse bridges out of lollipop sticks and tested out which was the strongest design in class. Another one we worked on was using endothermic reactions to make icecream. Also strongly suggest that they work on a project for the Young Scientist, one of the best parts of my own fourth year.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭FYG

This would probably be better off in the Teaching forum tbh, because we're all just going into TY. :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

If you are looking for simple small experiments to do in Chemistry this site is excellent. http://resources.schoolscience.co.uk/Salters/index.html. The small experiments are really good and mostly use either household materials or chemicals you should have in the lab already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

If the maths department arent and you can do it then some Applied Maths would be nice for students in todays climate. It follows from the junior cert physics and you wouldn't need to go far to give them an idea what to expect if they were to chose it. (Also worth noting for them that its called Mathematical Physics at third level!)

Advertisement