Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi €5 around town what is your view

Options
  • 21-08-2011 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Due to a down turn in business some drivers and companies have set the taxi fare at €5 around town.This may be good value but i would ask all to have a think they are not making a profit and they are going to ruin the industry in Wexford if they have not already done so.I have a taxi and yes the business has come close to bust but i don't see why I should work for nothing,the highest fare in town is about €8.50 most do come in around €6 / €7 if there are extra passengers its €1 per person is this to much to ask to get home after your night out. The problem with this fiver around town is the trouble and abuse that is happening when I ask for €7 i'm called a robbing BASxxxx etc etc and many times i have been told how i need a good kicking because i'm robbing them!!!.The Maths don't add up you cant even if your very busy do enought 5 euro runs an hour to cover your costs unless you multi drop and charge each person the €5. If this is the way the people of Wexford want the Taxi industry to work by getting into old, dirty, unserviced cars or mini buses that are not aloud to pick up a few different fares and act like taxis but really are school buses, which for some reason that law is over looked in Wexford even tho the insurance is only for a group hire one booking and for groups of over 9 persons where one charge is paid not a €5 each.The only way the problem with the 16 seater buses will be solved is when one has a crash and then the **** will hit the fan!!

do you want the €5 around town 8 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    75% 6 votes
    Dont care once i get home cheap
    12% 1 vote
    I would pay the meter to keep the taxis in business
    12% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

wexford12 wrote: »
    Due to a down turn in business some drivers and companies have set the taxi fare at €5 around town.
    This may be good value but i would ask all to have a think they are not making a profit and they are going to ruin the industry in Wexford if they have not already done so.
    I have a taxi and yes the business has come close to bust .
    But i don't see why I should work for nothing.
    The highest fare in town is about €8.50.
    Most do come in around €6 / €7 if there are extra passengers .
    Its €1 per person - is this to much to ask to get home after your night out.
    The problem with this fiver around town is the trouble and abuse that is happening .
    When I ask for €7 i'm called a robbing BASxxxx etc etc and many times i have been told how i need a good kicking because i'm robbing them!!!.

The Maths don't add up . - You cant even if your very busy do enought 5 euro runs an hour to cover your costs unless you multi drop and charge each person the €5.
    If this is the way the people of Wexford want the Taxi industry to work. - by getting into old, dirty, unserviced cars or mini buses that are not alowed to pick up a few different fares and act like taxis but really are school buses .
    Which for some reason that law is over looked in Wexford even though the insurance is only for a group hire one booking and for groups of over 9 persons. - where one charge is paid not a €5 each.
    The only way the problem with the 16 seater buses will be solved is when one has a crash and then the **** will hit the fan!!

Delighted to hear we can get around town for a fiver ............Always found that € 8 from pub to pub was way too expensive .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I think the taxi rates in Wexford are excellent value. I'm 4 miles out of town and Mrs Oldyouth and myself usually get home for under a tenner. Dempseys would be our 1st choice.

To be specific on your point, when one supplier is driving the price down, it makes it harder on the others. I think the fares you mention are reasonable and the difference between firms is not enough to warrant that any taxi driver be threatened with 'a good kicking'. Everyone is entitled to a fair return for their labours but that's not the place where this country is at the moment, I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How do they define "around town"? Wexford is very spread out now so is it €5 from The Quay to say Maudlintown which wouldn't be as far as a fare to Whiterock.
    The around town fare is open to interpretation (and abuse) It would be fine if a set distance was implemented and then an additional charge for further distances.It would make a level playing field for everyone in what is a difficult business these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

zerks wrote: »
    How do they define "around town"? Wexford is very spread out now so is it €5 from The Quay to say Maudlintown which wouldn't be as far as a fare to Whiterock.
    The around town fare is open to interpretation (and abuse) It would be fine if a set distance was implemented and then an additional charge for further distances.It would make a level playing field for everyone in what is a difficult business these days.

Around town seems to be up to the two roundabouts at the Maldron hotel and Whitford and up to around the cinema etc but going the other way across the bridge as far as maybe Crosstown.We do have a set amount and then a charge for any further travel its the Taxi Meter.It charges €4.45 when you get in and that gives you 1KM of driving and then its €1.35per KM for up to the next 14kms.This price was set about 3 years ago and was set for a reason to pay for Fuel,Tax,Car payments,Insurance and Servicing etc etc and most important of all to give the driver a salary.This was worked out as the amount needed to run a taxi , it was also set when Diesel was about 80cent a litre,as we all know it costs now about €1.40 a litre so what has to give something does.... 25% of the taxi fleet in Ireland are cars over ten years which i dont think is acceptable when the customers are paying for a service.Why are they all so old simple because even with the meter been charged its still not enough to buy a new car.I know its not the time to put up the fares but the least that can be done is to get paid whats on the meter

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Most places are within walking distance, and with things being so tight taxis are being seen as a bit of a luxury.

You could leave your prices higher but less people will use taxis, the market will decide.

• Advertisement
Advertisement