Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War of the worlds

Options
  • 21-08-2011 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

I've been a huge fan of war of the worlds since I was a kid, listening to the Jeff Wayne musical, and the Orson Wells radio broadcast over in the states, the B movie that was made in the late 70's and even that abortion of a film with tom cruise and the screaming child in it, but only recently did I actually get the book and I have to say, it's really really good, for something written in 1898 it has aged well, except for a few questionable 'science' parts (like the author claiming that even though the martians are not used to the 3x the gravity here on earth, it's somewhat counteracted by the higher oxygen density which gives them fits of energy)

Only about half way through it now but enjoying it thoroughly, some seriously poignant scenes in it, and described well, I find that it conveys the sense of fear felt by the people of London very well, contrasts with the hubris of what people felt at first at these strange creatures thinking they were going to be artillery fodder.

Also I was keeping an eye open for this book for 2 years, strange that it was not stocked in any of my local bookshops, second hand bookshops or even easons, had to order it.

Advertisement